Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
There are no best features of a Netbook.
The only thing that should standout is that the price is cheaper than a real laptop.

Keep in mind that with some shopping you can get a REAL laptop like a lenovo G530 or generic Dell inspiron in the low 400s.

Otherwise...USB ports and display quality and battery life are bout the only thing to scratch yer balls about when it comes to Netbooks.
I scratch my balls if the wind blows. I kinda like it.

And remember that we are in Canada. He landed today so the super low us prices are not really an option.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Acer makes a nice one. If he has ATT ( I think) they had a special on a netbook that also used ATT's network for like $100 from Radio Shack...
He has heard a lot of complaints about Acer laptops so he is worried about the netbooks.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Tiny Gateway what? Laptop? Not sure I'd describe any laptop as tiny.

All depends what you want to do with it. Lugging a laptop around all the time sucks, IMO, especially if you are travelling..........So Ima' bout to check me out some netbooks.
I was in a rush when I made the post so I will add some things.

One is that he was one of the people that hated Vista. I was fine with it but he hated it. In the last few weeks he has been givin something that sets up Vista better I guess. Anyway he loves it now.

He loves having laptops break and getting new ones. On the one he has spent a lot of time latley setting things up just right. Putting new programs on it, two days renaming his mp3's so they have the right names and so on. He loaded on all kinds of movies, he even found a program that will reformat his movies to fit on his Blackberry and he watches movies on that now as well.

So he would rather get this laptop back. He has had this one since last year but in the last few months he said he takes it everywhere and uses it all the time. Thats why he is interested in a netbook, the weight. He would also love one that had 6+ hours of battery time. He used an 8" netbook one day and hated the size of the keyboard.

He would go with a 10" screen, while on the Dell site he noticed that he can upgrade it to a hi res screen or something so he would like that.

He will only go to a netbook if he gets a new desktop soon or right now. If not he will go with another laptop.

I'm trying to get info on the netbooks for him so he can decide.

One last thing. He didn't realize that they didn't come with Vista. I told him this today and about a month ago this would have been a great thing, now it might be a deal breaker.

Now the reason I quoted you Homeslice is because he feels the same way. He hauls it everywhere so the smaller size and lighter weight will be nice for him.
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
mah bad... netbook - I use it when traveling. It's fantastic for what I need it for - with a full copy of office 2007, and 200gb hard drive. And, I have a portable optical drive that I can plug in when needed.

There is no way in hell that would be my only laptop... toooooooo small.
What is the screen size on it?

James
Old 07-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Acer makes a nice one. If he has ATT ( I think) they had a special on a netbook that also used ATT's network for like $100 from Radio Shack...
WE are in Canada so no ATT. I know you just bought one not too long ago so that was one of the reasons I made the post on here, that and the fact that a few others seem to know about them as well.

James
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I just picked up an Acer Aspire one from Staples this past Saturday night. I am LOVING it!

I have a full size laptop, primarily for my novice digital photography, all the bells and whistles, upgraded for gaming with better screen etc etc etc. That said, while I love the laptop (but hate the Vista), at a 17 inch screen size, its way to darn big to haul around, and definitely wont fit in my saddlebags on my bike trips.

I wanted a netbook for photography while I am running around, my hubby and I are often away on weekends, and I take pictures like a crazy person. I like to see the pics without having to wait until I get home and drag out the big laptop, so the netbook is great for me in that aspect.

I also like to sit in bed, or on the couch and surf or postwhore while I watch tv, and at 2.2 lbs, the netbook is definitely easier to use to do so than the big laptop, and I dont need a laptable to use it on my lap! Being able to snag it right up is a bonus for me.

Lastly, while its great for viewing my pics, and surfing the web, its also great for listening to music while I am moving around the house. I have been packing and moving this weekend, and being able to set it up in a corner, its loud enough I can hear it downstairs without external speakers. Not the best quality sound at full volume, but good enough for work music.

The only things I dont like about it are the limited battery life, but thats not really a problem as when are we really without some power source for very long? And it's a bit on the slow side. Obviously its not as fast as a standard laptop, and sometimes when first loading up a webpage its a bit slow, but actual surfing wise, its almost as fast as my laptop.

For traveling and play, Id definitely recommend it!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #16
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I just picked up an Acer Aspire one from Staples this past Saturday night. I am LOVING it!

I have a full size laptop, primarily for my novice digital photography, all the bells and whistles, upgraded for gaming with better screen etc etc etc. That said, while I love the laptop (but hate the Vista), at a 17 inch screen size, its way to darn big to haul around, and definitely wont fit in my saddlebags on my bike trips.

I wanted a netbook for photography while I am running around, my hubby and I are often away on weekends, and I take pictures like a crazy person. I like to see the pics without having to wait until I get home and drag out the big laptop, so the netbook is great for me in that aspect.

I also like to sit in bed, or on the couch and surf or postwhore while I watch tv, and at 2.2 lbs, the netbook is definitely easier to use to do so than the big laptop, and I dont need a laptable to use it on my lap! Being able to snag it right up is a bonus for me.

Lastly, while its great for viewing my pics, and surfing the web, its also great for listening to music while I am moving around the house. I have been packing and moving this weekend, and being able to set it up in a corner, its loud enough I can hear it downstairs without external speakers. Not the best quality sound at full volume, but good enough for work music.

The only things I dont like about it are the limited battery life, but thats not really a problem as when are we really without some power source for very long? And it's a bit on the slow side. Obviously its not as fast as a standard laptop, and sometimes when first loading up a webpage its a bit slow, but actual surfing wise, its almost as fast as my laptop.

For traveling and play, Id definitely recommend it!
What are the specs on yours? I noticed some netbooks can be upgraded to 2g of ram now.

James
Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 PM   #17
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
What are the specs on yours? I noticed some netbooks can be upgraded to 2g of ram now.

James

I'll have to get back with ya on that...of all the ones I researched, this was not one of them. I saw it at the store, after looking at them for months, and it was a decent price, $299 and met my simple needs.

If he's looking for a super high tech netbook, the Sony version is tinier than a standard netbook, and has lots of bells and whistles, for $599 on sale at Staples.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Dont want bells and whistles? Macbook Air.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Dont want bells and whistles? Macbook Air.

Starting at $1500. What a deal.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Everytime I look at that thing I think it would snap in half with too much pressure.

Also, who needs a big screen when travelling? Millions of people are content to watch movies on their tiny little iPhone, so why would a netbook be all that bad?

BTW, what type of connection plan do these netbooks have? Broadband I assume, right? Who is providing it, and how much per month?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote