Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
That's Hirarious.

I got contacts a couple months ago and got my exam at Sams but bought the lenses through Walmart.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Plastic lenses are pretty much mandatory if you've got a strong prescription......Otherwise they'll weigh like a pound. And I haven't had a problem with plastic scratching. But then I'm not in the habit of dropping them on the ground.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Well first you have to get the right prescription, but I've always used this place to order my glasses.

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Glasses from $6.95, can't beat that. Mine average $15 for a pair I'd spend $300 on at any eyewear store. They don't have name brand, but they've got huuuuuge selections of pretty much anything, all you do is input your scrip info and order. They give options for frames for narrow, average and wide faces too.

Started using them after someone knocked my glasses off the bike and stepped on them. I am also prone to losing a pair every other time I wear them so I keep several spares around.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

So for all you peeps wearing glasses, is surgery not an option? When my wife and both kids wore glasses, and that shit was expensive.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Sure if you can afford several thousand dollars...compared to that, glasses are a viable option, since for a couple hundred or less you can usually wear them at least a year.

I finally started wearing contacts and was pretty peeved about the cost but it's still less than the surgery, and my eyes aren't really bad enough to need the surgery yet. I'm waiting till I need coke bottles to do anything that drastic.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Also, even if you have surgery, you're going to need reading glasses later in life. The surgery over-corrects your far vision, and messes up your near vision when you get older.

Not to mention the other side effects that sometimes happen (halos at night, dry eyes, etc).
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Cass
Cassolicious!

Moto: SV

Near sighted left eye, near sighted astigmatic right eye. Weak prescription for both.

I CAN have surgery, but have other priorities right now. Contacts/glasses don't bother me that much. I'm effing lazy about my contacts, because I'm always at home. Don't really see the point in wearing contacts at home, when I have perfectly good glasses.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Just went tuesday myself. Go with the professionals. I go to a small personal shop in town. I've been using these glasses for almost three years now, and I noticed the vision was off a tad. I got the checkup, frames and lenses, and a half year of contacts (which will last me a year and a half) for $276. And the glasses were no cheapies either, I was looking at polo, nike, and converse. And they should last me 2-3 years. I just look at it as an investment.

Unless the problem is no insurance, and your trying to keep cost down...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I want glasses like Barry Weiss from Stoage wars
Me too.

I always wanted to look like a pudgy Jewish gangster.

JC
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The centering and indexing (if astigmatic) of the lenses over your pupils is crucial in order for the prescription to work properly. You should go to a professional to be properly fitted with glasses.
Totally this. My left eye is perfect (actually better than perfect) but my right eye is fucked. If I close my left eye, the whole world gets DAMN blurry. That eye is asigmatic. I can usually go without glasses because the left eye compensates the shit out of things and I can see better than a lot of people I know. However, when I get really tired, I need to put glasses on so I don't get headaches. I had one set where the indexing was ALL jacked up (left lense is basically just clear plastic with no correction). It seriously effed me up to the point where I was sicker than a freaking dog.

They were jacked up because I cheaped out. Moral: you almost always get what you pay for.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote