Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How much juice do you get out of 1 orange? Not much. So how many oranges are you getting in 1 serving of juice?. I'm not saying they add sugar, but what you are getting is a concentrated dose where water is removed to increase to sugar content of 20 oranges in one glass.
To do what you're saying would require businesses to use MORE oranges for the same container of juice. Why would they do that, when it would increase cost?

There is nothing wrong with OJ..........It's the Atkins idiots who seem to have a problem with it. The fact is, the acid and particles in citrus juice slows the insulin response, so when you talk about the affects of sugar, it isn't nearly as bad as apple juice or grape juice.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
To do what you're saying would require businesses to use MORE oranges for the same container of juice. Why would they do that, when it would increase cost?
I don't give a fuck about the OJ companies. Eat a fucking orange and leave the juice at the store.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
I don't give a fuck about the OJ companies. Eat a fucking orange and leave the juice at the store.
LOL, nice non-answer.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
shmike
Follower

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with OJ..........It's the Atkins idiots who seem to have a problem with it. The fact is, the acid and particles in citrus juice slows the insulin response, so when you talk about the affects of sugar, it isn't nearly as bad as apple juice or grape juice.
Even if it is fresh squeezed juice, it is more sugar intake than a regular orange.

Why? You'd need to squeeze multiple oranges just to fill a glass.

Beseides, many of the nutrients are in the flesh of the orange which is lost while juicing.

Lets compare oranges to oranges:

A fresh orange has 45 calories, 51 milligrams of Vitamin C, 2 grams of Fiber, 40 milligrams of Calcium and 70 milligrams of Beta-carotene.

Fresh orange juice (1/3 cup) has 45 calories, 50 milligrams of Vitamin C, 0.3 grams of Fiber, 11 milligrams of Calcium and 33 milligrams of Beta-carotene.

Orange juice from concentrate (one-third cup) has 45 calories, 39 milligrams of Vitamin C, 0.3 grams of Fiber, 9 milligrams of Calcium and 17 milligrams of Beta-carotene.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
LOL, nice non-answer.
Just because a company does that to save money doesn't mean it's good for you. Your question was rhetorical, was it not?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Even if it is fresh squeezed juice, it is more sugar intake than a regular orange.

Beseides, many of the nutrients are in the flesh of the orange which is lost while juicing.

A fresh orange has 45 calories, 51 milligrams of Vitamin C, 2 grams of Fiber, 40 milligrams of Calcium and 70 milligrams of Beta-carotene.

Fresh orange juice (1/3 cup) has 45 calories, 50 milligrams of Vitamin C, 0.3 grams of Fiber, 11 milligrams of Calcium and 33 milligrams of Beta-carotene.

Orange juice from concentrate (one-third cup) has 45 calories, 39 milligrams of Vitamin C, 0.3 grams of Fiber, 9 milligrams of Calcium and 17 milligrams of Beta-carotene.
Have you ever seen 1/3 of a cup of OJ served at a time? That's the problem. People usually drink an 8oz (1 cup) per serving. I'm not arguing with your numbers, just being realistic in what people consume.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Just because a company does that to save money doesn't mean it's good for you. Your question was rhetorical, was it not?
Hold on, I was actually saying the opposite. If those companies do indeed concentrate the juice like you said, then it would cost more money. Which is why I doubt they're doing that.

Maybe you're talking about juice that says "from concentrate" on it. I only buy pure juice (not from concentrate).

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-16-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Have you ever seen 1/3 of a cup of OJ served at a time? That's the problem. People usually drink an 8oz (1 cup) per serving. I'm not arguing with your numbers, just being realistic in what people consume.
I know.

My post was agreeing with what you said.

More calories, more sugar, less nutritional benefit.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

I agree, but my point is, if you're going to drink any kind of juice at all, citrus juice like OJ is the best, because it is acidic, which means that it will slow digestion and blood-sugar response. Unlike grape juice or apple juice which digests a lot faster.

Just don't drink OJ with creatine, because it will fuck up the creatine and make it useless. Take your creatine with grape juice post-workout, which by the way is the only time when it's acceptable to drink grape juice.

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-16-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
I'd skip the almonds followed by the banana that are in the afternoon/evening area. I wouldn't eat a fat followed by something with sugar.

I'd try to add a little more protein to the yogurt/oatmeal snack and add one in the last peanut butter one as well.
the banana is right before my work out, i always heard that is a great time for them. how would you add protein to yogurt / PB ?