Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I got divorced last year and loosing the deductions from being married bumped me up a tax bracket. I went from my usual $4k refund to owing $1k, so I am actually paying $5k more in taxes because of it . . . and I'm still paying the mortgage on the old house . . . and rent for my new place . . . and child support . . . and alimony . . . and even after all that I still have more money left over than I did when my (ex) wife was spending all of my money
Ouch.

Freedom isn't free.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
"The mortgage-interest deduction, which lets people deduct the interest they pay on their mortgages, requires the government to essentially write an annual check to everyone with a mortgage".
A correct statement
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
"The mortgage-interest deduction, which lets people deduct the interest they pay on their mortgages, requires the government to essentially write an annual check to everyone with a mortgage".
I write a check to the government $33,000.
(Well I don't actually have to write a check. They just take it out of my paycheck)

I write another check to the state government for $7000. Its for use of state land (also known as real estate taxes)

I fill out a bunch of forms in the first quarter each year to make sure I've paid up all my bills to the federal government.

On a couple of items, the government throws in some freebies.
A package deal if you will. Buy one get one free kinda of stuff.

Government says if you do certain things we'll cut you a break.
On of those things is financing a home.
Government says...dont sweat the interest you pay on your mortgage because the bank is already paying taxes on that amount and we like people buying houses.

I say ok sweet deal.

On the interwebz "OMG they are giving those homeowners money!!!"

um no they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
On the interwebz "OMG they are giving those homeowners money!!!"

um no they are not.

Giving them money, refunding them money......same thing really. Why? Because if they wanted to, they could eliminate that deduction, and you couldn't do shit about it. Lulz
Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Giving them money, refunding them money......same thing really. Why? Because if they wanted to, they could eliminate that deduction, and you couldn't do shit about it. Lulz
On the one hand, you have people saying that the government is giving you money.

On the other hand, you have people saying that the government is giving you back a percentage of a percentage, of money that they already took from you.

Seriously, which is the more likely scenario?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
On the other hand, you have people saying that the government is giving you back a percentage of a percentage, of money that they already took from you.
True, if one believes that ALL taxes are the same and should be lumped together for the purposes of this conversation.

But, some taxes are federal and some aren't. For example, property taxes aren't federal.

If anything, this deduction should be on a state level, not federal. Think about it this way. If I live in an expensive state like NY or CA, and my mortgage principal is $750K, I'm getting a pretty decent deduction from the feds --- Which is being taken out of ALL taxpayer's pockets, across the country. How does that make sense? Why not have each state manage it themselves, instead of forcing people in Mississippi to partially subsidize the deductions of people in CA?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
True, if one believes that ALL taxes are the same and should be lumped together for the purposes of this conversation.

But, some taxes are federal and some aren't. For example, property taxes aren't federal.

If anything, this deduction should be on a state level, not federal. Think about it this way. If I live in an expensive state like NY or CA, and my mortgage principal is $750K, I'm getting a pretty decent deduction from the feds --- Which is being taken out of ALL taxpayer's pockets, across the country. How does that make sense? Why not have each state manage it themselves, instead of forcing people in Mississippi to partially subsidize the deductions of people in CA?
For the purposes of this conversation, it's all the same; the government giving you back a fraction of your own money.

From a standpoint of which level of government should be doing it, I would say that you're right. It would make more sense as a tool to drive the local economy, via State government, rather than coming from the Federal level.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #18
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Internet: Chock full of legal and financial genius.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
funny you mention that. We had an 'accountant" who did our/my taxes a few yrs ago and told me I owed up to 15k dollars. His advice was to have kids and buy either another or a more expensive house. He was promptly told to fuck off and have since found a much better accountant.
Same here. Went to three different accountants before we found one who wouldn't spout that load of garbage.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote