Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Who doesnt have cable TV? I am considering getting rid of the service. A few months ago, my bill was @ $110, for BASIC cable(no DVR or premium channels) and medium speed internet. Pissed me off, so I called and threatend to cancel.
My bill now is $79 a month, but I still want to cancel, I really dont watch TV except for a few shows that I can get off netflix/hulu/youtube.
$30 a month At&t DSL and $13 a month netflix and maybe blockbuster is better that $80 bucks a month for cable internet.
Anyone do this?
I don't have cable and am not in a rush to get it... though, I would like the internet... probably be more productive at work and I'd like to download TV shows and movies.

Best deal around for me is cable/internet bundle.

Satellite is too expensive for what you get (EVERY TV needs a box) and I haven't investigated DSL in my neighborhood... if I'm going to get cable anyway, I'm not fucking around with DSL.

I had DSL one time back in the day. Other than the nightmare we went through when the provided went bankrupt and our service was sold and resold a dozen times in a couple of months, it was retarded awesome. The thing with DSL is... location, location, location.

We were about three blocks away from a main switching station so we were plugged in to about the fattest pipeline possible... I'm talking 5-6Mbps all day every day, no matter what... and it was cheap as balls too. Granted, that was about 10 years ago, so the location thing may not be as important now...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I dont have cable, dish, or any other service and I haven't for over 4 years now. I get 12 stations off-air with a HDTV antenna.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I had a free VIP cable package for a year. It ran out in May so now I'm back to paying for it.

I don't even have my TV plugged in at the moment and I can't tell you the last time I watched anything. I'm going to cancel the whole works. I don't need to be watching TV.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

I have a basic cable / high speed internet package through Cox Communications here in Wichita.

Service is great....my only bitch is the bundling. I have no use for cable TV...but...I have to have it to get high speed internet service. Seems like a load of shit but I still pay my $117/month to have it. It's like 60 for the cable....40 for the internet and the rest in fees and taxes.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

i had dish network and direct tv.. had one very hard rain storm that took out dish network for 15 minutes but other than that never lost a signal..

DSL worked ok for me using speed patch made it better..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
i had dish network and direct tv.. had one very hard rain storm that took out dish network for 15 minutes but other than that never lost a signal..

DSL worked ok for me using speed patch made it better..
Big Florida rains will take it out momentarily... but it's not the end of the world... a few minutes of downtime and you're back up again. My dad's said it's happened probably 30 times in two years...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Century Link DSL here with DirecTV.

It take a pretty big storm to knock out our TV signal. We have 2 DVR's, local stations, 200+ channels and showtime for around $75 a month. I've been a customer for 10 years + now so I know my current plan is grandfathered in.

BIL has Dish Network and he loose's signal if it even hints at rain. No thanks...

DSL is my only choice. No cable out here in BFE Central PA. DSL cost is $30 a month for 3MB and 1 static IP.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

No cable or dish here. We watch so little tv that it doesn't matter much. Only thing that sucks is the reception on that digital convertor box thing. Clouds will cause a couple of channels to go on the fritz.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Time Warner HD/DVR.

My complaints
1. the HD channels get shitty on us sometime like fuzz but digital
2. I'm tired of them complaining about "how :corporatestationhere: demands they pay them to broadcast so we can charge you more" commercials or they cut the programming.
3. The menu lists the wrong shows and descriptions ALOT. So much it misses DVR'd programs, granted I watch and record when I can for the racing I care about. But other shows sometimes get missed.

I'm contemplating a switch to satellite, but I don't know if it would save me money or hassle.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

cable internet is like crack. Once you have it, you don't want to give it up. I don't think you can get just cable internet and not have to pay for TV. I talked with one guy that setup up my Droid at verizon and he said you could with the company that is in our area. I've never called to see.

My bro told me that NTS does fiber, but they also do phone/tv. I've never called them either to see if they just do internet. Of course if you just get one service I'm sure they will over charge you.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote