Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

I would let her skip if she can Ed. I think she can makes friends just as easily in first grade. But you know I am Asian too

I was always in the gifted classes until I moved away to a school that lumped all the dummies together. Guess who got bored to tears which did effect my schoolwork later on.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Then homeschool or send her to an advanced academy.

It's not an Asian thing, it is an IQ thing.
we've thought about homeschooling, but we like the socialization aspect of it.

thought about private school too, but in talking w/ my sis who also though about private school, they don't teach alot more AT THIS AGE then public schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I would let her skip if she can Ed. I think she can makes friends just as easily in first grade. But you know I am Asian too

I was always in the gifted classes until I moved away to a school that lumped all the dummies together. Guess who got bored to tears which did effect my schoolwork later on.
see the asian mindset......
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Kindergarten is more a begining of socialization in an educational setting than it is an actual education. They have to learn the schedule of "classes" and working with other students etc. Put her in, if she's so smart, she can help the other kids!
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Then homeschool or send her to an advanced academy.

It's not an Asian thing, it is an IQ thing.
And this.

Every year, in every class, she will face the same thing. I know a lot of teaching is, but shouldn't be, to the lowest common denominator. You're not really giving the school any credit. There will always be kids at a lot of different levels for the same grade or different subjects.

One kid might excel in math and be at the top of the class, but might suck at english, and really struggle when that subject is taught.

There is a lot to be said for keeping kids in age cohorts rather than grade cohorts.

If you don't like that style of schooling, you might consider private schools, academies, or schools (there are some public ones like this) that teach based on ability cohorts for each subject rather than age cohorts.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

see the asian mindset......
Yeah but you guys don't care about socialization or sports. Very important to kids growing up.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #15
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Why not private school with many sports options so she gets the socialization?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I know a lot of teaching is, but shouldn't be, to the lowest common denominator. You're not really giving the school any credit. .
it is what it is.........they have dumbed down the classes, whether we like it or not

we applied at a magnet school, but they choose by random drawing, guess we didn't get drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yeah but you guys don't care about socialization or sports. Very important to kids growing up.
says white people, not so much for asians.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Why not private school with many sports options so she gets the socialization?
there's none partiularly close + "but in talking w/ my sis who also though about private school, they don't teach alot more AT THIS AGE then public schools"
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #17
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
it is what it is.........they have dumbed down the classes, whether we like it or not

we applied at a magnet school, but they choose by random drawing, guess we didn't get drawn
Ya I know. It does suck but schools are not solely responsible for the education of your children. (the royal we). Sounds like she'd be better off in an ability cohort. Keep in mind too that she may not always be 'ahead' of everyone.

What's a magnet school?
Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I had tons of friends in school and always played sports! But when I was in school that did separate us according to ability I excelled in school. Then I moved and they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings so we all got lumped together. So I was bored and played more sports and made more friends but and lost interest in school.

But its true Rider, my parents never placed much stock in having friends and sports but they are old school. But being around other kids, you just naturally make friends.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Ed, there is an age requirement in Texas for k and first grade. You're talking about private school, right?
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Ed, there is an age requirement in Texas for k and first grade. You're talking about private school, right?
no public, just was talking to daycare lady about that and she told us about the opt-out direction. we need to goto the school to drop of some paperwork, i'll clarify it then.

she's a very social girl so she'll make friends. she mostly plays w/ olders kids anyways cuz there's only 1 girl on our street her age. and her parents are also looking at doing the same. she's ahead of april as far as reading cuz she started earlier. they have a big family (4 kids) and aprils friend is the youngest so her parents know whats good and bad
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 04-15-2010 at 03:26 PM..