Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
LCD ftw! Plasma will be phased out in the next few years as tv tech goes to led based lcds. Now it seems that you don't care about all of that so .

I agree that plasma WAS better for fast paced action BEFORE the advent of 120/240 hz lcds and led tvs. Those days are all but over. When a clerk steers you towards a plasma vs a lcd it's to hit a price point. Btw plasma is more susceptible to video game "burn in" than lcd... Everyone has their own opinion but the bottom line is that lcds give a much better/clearer picture and use far less energy and tend to last longer than plasma. In fact, I believe that lcd uses about half the energy as plasma and the new led tvs use about 40% less energy than lcd. So the $200 you save now will be given to the electric company in stead over the next couple years. Also, anyone that buys a tv only considering today's tech is making a mistake and they have obviously never seen 1080p. I'd rather watch the most boring program in the world in 1080p than the best, most action packed show in normal broadcast 480i. Oh and make sure your new tv has a digital/hd tuner, it will eliminate any need for a cable box, unless you have sat tv, then never mind. FWIW if you don't mind a little motion blur on occasion, you can buy a lcd VERY cheap in the 60 hz range. I've seen sales with 46'' tvs for under $1,000.
I don't know what hz is....

I have cable - and not planning on using a box on this TV. It will be wall mounted without DVD, or box. It is back-to-back with a closet, so if I want to add that in the future it will be added through the wall.

LCD
1080p
240hz

Just found one for less than $1000... you're saying buy that NOW for the deal I'd be getting?? The guy told me it was a killer deal - I don't know one TV from another.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post

I have cable - and not planning on using a box on this TV. It will be wall mounted without DVD, or box. It is back-to-back with a closet, so if I want to add that in the future it will be added through the wall.

LCD
1080p
240hz

Just found one for less than $1000... you're saying buy that NOW for the deal I'd be getting?? The guy told me it was a killer deal - I don't know one TV from another.
1080p and 240hz is what you want.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Here's a question for you LCD guys....do they get fucking hot as balls? My plasma is HOT when it's on. Sucker puts off some SERIOUS heat.
No, that's one of the other problems with plasma and a huge problem back in the day. They would leave a "mark" on the wall from the heat. In fact, the 1st gen plasmas had a separate unit that housed the power equipment that had a rather loud cooling fan in it. Hahaha, I remember when I lived in an older part of town (Heritage Hill), a neighbor bought a plasma and had to have his wiring redone because his circuit breakers weren't up to the current drain!!! They are A LOT better now than they were then but I remember working at Best Buy/ Circuit City and having to swap out plasma tvs every so often because they weren't up to running 12 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
No, that's one of the other problems with plasma and a huge problem back in the day. They would leave a "mark" on the wall from the heat. In fact, the 1st gen plasmas had a separate unit that housed the power equipment that had a rather loud cooling fan in it. Hahaha, I remember when I lived in an older part of town (Heritage Hill), a neighbor bought a plasma and had to have his wiring redone because his circuit breakers weren't up to the current drain!!! They are A LOT better now than they were then but I remember working at Best Buy/ Circuit City and having to swap out plasma tvs every so often because they weren't up to running 12 hours a day/ 7 days a week.
I dont have quite that much of an issue with it. It does have 4 fans in the back of it...but I've never heard them running.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

LCD
1080p
240hz

What size, Angel? If that is a 46'' and a Sharp, Sony, Samsung then get your card out! Otherwise, what brand is it?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

LCD
1080p
240hz

So you are just going straight cable? Are you getting a cable card? If not, it doesn't really matter what you get because Standard Def looks like ass on 99% of HDTVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Cable Card
46"

And, I just double checked... it's another RCA

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
So you are just going straight cable? Are you getting a cable card? If not, it doesn't really matter what you get because Standard Def looks like ass on 99% of HDTVs.
SD does look like shit. Tell me more about this cable card.

Quote:
Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I dont have quite that much of an issue with it. It does have 4 fans in the back of it...but I've never heard them running.
Oh yea, they're much quieter now! I mean you had to have your volume at a significant level to overcome the fans before! That may be better fans rather than a better tv. Wow! 4 fans and it's still hot? Holy balls! Maybe you don't hear them because they aren't working.... j/k plasma tvs are hot!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
SD does look like shit. Tell me more about this cable card.
Some cable companies offer a cable card if your TV supports it, it's basically like a box that plugs into your TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote