Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I think the echoing of one answer has been told. I think the trip with your dad would be epic! What are you going to do? Did we sway you mind?
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I too understand your concerns, but would also tell you that as someone who no longer has the option of doing anything with his dad ( at least not with out a shovel and psyche eval) I would also echo talk it over with him , let him address your concerns, perhaps it involves as others have mentioned planning for success (shorter legs and longer breaks) or maybe he decides on a different father son adventure but include him in the process.
Like most guys in the 50's I would give up most of what I own for another afternoon goofing off with my dad, arguing with him about some minor thing or listening to him tell me the same story for the umpteenth time. Never mind the fact that there are damn few I wouldn't kill, to have a few days with him on a bike trip.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
MILK
The cows want you dead.

How about including him in part of the trip but not all of it? I bet if you told him you wanted some alone time too he would understand!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #14
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

I love the idea of doing something fun with my dad, I'd just rather it not be aboard motorcycles. I was happy when he sold his KLX. I'm happy no one else in my family rides but me. Motorcycles are dangerous.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #15
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Taking a trip this summer: Summer Michigan Tour......My dad is my best friend .....
I thought I was ur best friend..

Of course take the ride with ur dad. Just stop when you or he starts to get tired.

There is plently of time to be alone with ur dead.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I love the idea of doing something fun with my dad, I'd just rather it not be aboard motorcycles. I was happy when he sold his KLX. I'm happy no one else in my family rides but me. Motorcycles are dangerous.
As nicely and seriously as I can say this...could you possibly be any more selfish?

You love motorcycles obviously. You love the idea of taking a long trip on one. You've said as much in previous threads that I've read. You love your dad. Yet, you are not willing to combine the two?

You're afraid dad will slow you down, worry about him getting hurt, or infringing on your alone time.

Well, has it occurred to you that he's worried he might slow you down. I promise you he's worried about you getting hurt, and he has already had his fair share of alone time I'm sure.

Once he's gone, you WILL regret your decision if you don't go with him.

I've been on many vacations, with my parents, and with friends. The bonding moments I've had with people out on the open road on my motorcycle trips top everything else, bar none.

You are going to miss out on a great experience and something that you will cherish for a lifetime even after your dad is gone.

Hopefully, sooner than later, you will come to your senses, and realize that this is something that is as important to him as it is to you.

You'll have PLENTY of opportunity to take a trip solo, at your pace, when he's gone.

Don't screw this up. You are trying awful hard. Don't do it.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
As nicely and seriously as I can say this...could you possibly be any more selfish?

You love motorcycles obviously. You love the idea of taking a long trip on one. You've said as much in previous threads that I've read. You love your dad. Yet, you are not willing to combine the two?

You're afraid dad will slow you down, worry about him getting hurt, or infringing on your alone time.

Well, has it occurred to you that he's worried he might slow you down. I promise you he's worried about you getting hurt, and he has already had his fair share of alone time I'm sure.

Once he's gone, you WILL regret your decision if you don't go with him.

I've been on many vacations, with my parents, and with friends. The bonding moments I've had with people out on the open road on my motorcycle trips top everything else, bar none.

You are going to miss out on a great experience and something that you will cherish for a lifetime even after your dad is gone.

Hopefully, sooner than later, you will come to your senses, and realize that this is something that is as important to him as it is to you.

You'll have PLENTY of opportunity to take a trip solo, at your pace, when he's gone.

Don't screw this up. You are trying awful hard. Don't do it.
/thread
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #18
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
/thread
G-Rex worded it very well. Don't be a selfish, self centered asshole.

Once he's gone or even older, there will NO MORE SECOND CHANCES. Seize the moment now.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
G-Rex worded it very well. Don't be a selfish, self centered asshole.

Once he's gone or even older, there will NO MORE SECOND CHANCES. Seize the moment now.
G's telling it how it is......
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Plus dad is only going to get older and less likely to be able to do any part of this ride. Do it while he can do it.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote