Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

oh and does anyone know of any good books about these kind of things. I loved the book hatchet but its a bit below my current reading level, and Ive read it already. Im going on vacation soon and have been looking for a survival/adventure type book to read. something about someone surviving in the wild. All I can seem to find is books on how to survive or short stories about people being trapped in the wild. which are ok but Ive read a THOUSAND of them.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

There was a book I remember from my childhood, about a young boy that did this. Just took off into the woods and lived solitary for somewhat like a year or so I think, completely off the land around him.

It's always been a dream of mine to do something similar. I would LOVE to go somewhere, away from my fellow man, perhaps with a companion, and be completely self sufficient. Build my own dwelling with my own hands, grow and hunt my own food, be so far away from civilzation you'd need a horse to get to me...

Reasonably thinking tho, there would have to be arrangements, like coming into town for supplies...like the old mountain men used to do once a year...

Think of it...have a gun, buy the supplies to make you own bullets and reuse them...make your on food from whats there...have some animals for things like wool, hunting, packing, maybe a few chickens...etc...damn, what an adventure that would be!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:16 PM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
There was a book I remember from my childhood, about a young boy that did this. Just took off into the woods and lived solitary for somewhat like a year or so I think, completely off the land around him.

It's always been a dream of mine to do something similar. I would LOVE to go somewhere, away from my fellow man, perhaps with a companion, and be completely self sufficient. Build my own dwelling with my own hands, grow and hunt my own food, be so far away from civilzation you'd need a horse to get to me...

Reasonably thinking tho, there would have to be arrangements, like coming into town for supplies...like the old mountain men used to do once a year...

Think of it...have a gun, buy the supplies to make you own bullets and reuse them...make your on food from whats there...have some animals for things like wool, hunting, packing, maybe a few chickens...etc...damn, what an adventure that would be!
Marry me.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:

Ehhh..I wouldn't. This is what makes an intellegent society great. Understanding that if man has to do everything himself, he ends up with little. Whereas if each one of us contributes a little piece and does it well each person can have access to an abundance of stuff.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Whereas if each one of us contributes a little piece and does it well each person can have access to an abundance of stuff.
problem is a large portion of your so called "intelligent society" can't be trusted to make their contribution. to many just hangin out while the rest of us do the work so they can enjoy it all. The beautiful thing about livin off the land is it would weed out the weak and useless. The lazy ones would die off real quick! LOL

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #16
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
I watched the Disney movie based on that book. The kid was inspired by and made a lot of references to Thoreau.

Honestly, although I come from a small town, rural sort of upbringing, I don't know how much I could divorce myself from modern conveniences. Sometimes it sounds pretty good though.
The daily grind never seems to accomplish much for me.
Part of the value of survival exercises is to show you how much you can do for yourself.
Sure, being part of a cooperative society provides more, but sometimes we need to reaffirm that we are capable of seeing to our own needs.

Didn't TLC or Discovery do a short reality series recently where they put teams of people (some family, some just friends) up in the Alaskan wilderness to survive for 6 months or so?
That'd be the sort of thing I almost wouldn't mind doing.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #17
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Marry me.
Wow. I think thats one for the record books! Does this mean my shovel rating gets a star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostz28 View Post
problem is a large portion of your so called "intelligent society" can't be trusted to make their contribution. to many just hangin out while the rest of us do the work so they can enjoy it all. The beautiful thing about livin off the land is it would weed out the weak and useless. The lazy ones would die off real quick! LOL
EXACTLY!!! No welfare, no lazy asses watching everyone else work, pull your own weight or you dont eat. Not everyone has to be good at everything. In a community like I can imagine, everyone would be good at something, enough that everyone depends on everyone else to an extent to survive. BUt be far enough away you meet every so often, but thats it. Seriously sometimes I think bringing back the barter system would be a great "weeder" of society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
I watched the Disney movie based on that book. The kid was inspired by and made a lot of references to Thoreau.

Honestly, although I come from a small town, rural sort of upbringing, I don't know how much I could divorce myself from modern conveniences. Sometimes it sounds pretty good though.
The daily grind never seems to accomplish much for me.
Part of the value of survival exercises is to show you how much you can do for yourself.
Sure, being part of a cooperative society provides more, but sometimes we need to reaffirm that we are capable of seeing to our own needs.

Didn't TLC or Discovery do a short reality series recently where they put teams of people (some family, some just friends) up in the Alaskan wilderness to survive for 6 months or so?
That'd be the sort of thing I almost wouldn't mind doing.
It would be fun, but at the same time, if I were to go off I wouldnt want to be with a group of people. Call me antisocial, but I want to be left alone. Nor would I go to ALASKA, have you SEEN the bears? No thank you!
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #18
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:

It would be fun, but at the same time, if I were to go off I wouldnt want to be with a group of people. Call me antisocial, but I want to be left alone. Nor would I go to ALASKA, have you SEEN the bears? No thank you!
bah

if it's not bears it's mesquitos.

if it's not mesquitos, it's snakes.

if it's not snakes, it's mice.

if it's not mice, it's creapie crawlies.

If it's not.... yeah, you get the point.

But anyways I second your opinion on the lazy asses. Welfare suxors. It's different if you're literally disabled and can't work (granted you can find SOMETHING to do, hell, go roll silverware or something). But just sitting on your ass because you can play the system and you tend to have an easier life, sleep more, eat more, than say a single mom raising two kids in an expensive society.... bah i'm gonna stop cause otherwise I'll go into major
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
bah

if it's not bears it's mesquitos.

if it's not mesquitos, it's snakes.

if it's not snakes, it's mice.

if it's not mice, it's creapie crawlies.

If it's not.... yeah, you get the point.

But anyways I second your opinion on the lazy asses. Welfare suxors. It's different if you're literally disabled and can't work (granted you can find SOMETHING to do, hell, go roll silverware or something). But just sitting on your ass because you can play the system and you tend to have an easier life, sleep more, eat more, than say a single mom raising two kids in an expensive society.... bah i'm gonna stop cause otherwise I'll go into major
I dont mind any other critters, I just am not all that comfortable with the ones that would eat me without blinking twice! Mosquitos dont bite me, snakes dont scare me, mice are rather cute, and creepy crawlies are edible.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Wow. I think thats one for the record books! Does this mean my shovel rating gets a star?
No... Solid platinum, diamond insets... Too many carats to count.

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 03-02-2009 at 09:06 PM..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote