Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I don't agree with the "hit another depression" part but yes it is bad. Just an opinion...we all have one.

I do agree with the "where to pin the blame" part...plenty of "blame" to go around. Most want to blame Bush and the Republicans...which should bear part of the blame...BUT they may want to look a little further back too.
People are damn quick to throw out the recession/depression card... Fuck, three weeks into an economic slowdown, people are saying recession, recession, recession... The media exacerbated the call... I guess it's so hard to understand that things are NOT THAT BAD. Depression is SCARY shit... People would lose their minds if we actually fell that far...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Not bankrupcy... but this would rock for US
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthrea...3834#post73834

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue

its all semantics... what exactly defines a depression or a recession?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
People are damn quick to throw out the recession/depression card... Fuck, three weeks into an economic slowdown, people are saying recession, recession, recession... The media exacerbated the call... I guess it's so hard to understand that things are NOT THAT BAD. Depression is SCARY shit... People would lose their minds if we actually fell that far...
Agreed 100 % He11 around here we have a gas shortage...several stations with NO fuel and some people are losing their minds while waiting in a freakin' gas line...fights starting and people going to jail..couldn't imagine if it was something really bad.

Time to buy more ammo.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Agreed 100 % He11 around here we have a gas shortage...several stations with NO fuel and some people are losing their minds while waiting in a freakin' gas line...fights starting and people going to jail..couldn't imagine if it was something really bad.

Time to buy more ammo.
I was thinking the same thing yesterday..... Shotguns are on sale right now and I could use a couple more.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Not bankrupcy... but this would rock for US
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthrea...3834#post73834
Ok that would work for me and the wife. We could let those 250 shares of AIG stock go that we bought the other day in exchange for a piece of that pie !!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I was thinking the same thing yesterday..... Shotguns are on sale right now and I could use a couple more.
Like they say..."I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" !!
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy View Post
its all semantics... what exactly defines a depression or a recession?
Exactly... people need to wake the fuck up. We are not that far from depression... it could go there real easy from here. If saying depression is coming "unless..." is the only way to make things happen... I call that STRAIGHT TALK!!

Quote:

Time to buy more ammo.
AMEN... I think I should increase my ammo supply cause I just burned off a bunch...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Ok, just checked some facts... We are NOT in a recession. A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth... The 2nd quarter of '08 we saw a 1.6% growth... Since we are on the cusp of the 4th quarter, we are not in a recession.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Crazy
I'm home take me drunk

Moto: 2005 SV650s blue

"A depression is any economic downturn where real GDP declines by more than 10 percent. A recession is an economic downturn that is less severe.

By this yardstick, the last depression in the United States was from May 1937 to June 1938, where real GDP declined by 18.2 percent. If we use this method then the Great Depression of the 1930s can be seen as two separate events: an incredibly severe depression lasting from August 1929 to March 1933 where real GDP declined by almost 33 percent, a period of recovery, then another less severe depression of 1937-38. The United States hasn’t had anything even close to a depression in the post-war period. The worst recession in the last 60 years was from November 1973 to March 1975, where real GDP fell by 4.9 percent. Countries such as Finland and Indonesia have suffered depressions in recent memory using this definition."

but really it doesnt matter if the GDP is 9.9% down or 10.1% down, so using these terms that the media keeps talking about is not very useful. looking at the numbers makes more sense.
Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote