Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

I'm fortunate to have someone who has been riding for over 20 years and is a pretty good teacher. He's anal about gear and good habits. I can drive a stick, but this is definitely different for me in that it's all done with opposing appendages...i.e.: clutch with hand, gears by foot. It can't hurt to put it on the centerstand and let her get a feel for it at least, but that's y'alls call. I'm a hands-on person, so I'm tootling around the drive at VERY low speed. If you guys feel better about waiting, then by all means wait. It's all about who you are and what's right for YOU. I can't get into a class until at LEAST August (not even a weekday class), and I'll go nuts by then
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #12
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

I had friends who had a lot of dirtbike experience and one who rode a sportbike that showed me the controls before hand and I think it helped. My car is a stick, so between knowing the controls and how to work a clutch I did pretty well at getting started and was able to pay more attention to other things they were teaching us.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:55 AM   #13
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Heck, why not show her? The first night of class, we were taught how to shift in a school desk. We didn't get on the bikes until the next day. My sister and I were pulling wheelies in our desk when no one was looking We got the highest scores on our tests - written and course - and we were 16 (grew up a little on dirt bikes).

It's sooo slow to start, that any basic knowledge before you go in is just that, basic.

Not really related, but years later I taught my cousin how to drive a standard car from knowing how to drive a motorcycle. I never drove/owned a standard. I sat in the passenger seat and told her what to do...
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

if she passes the course does she get her endorsement? if so, i'd prepare her as much as possible for everything they go over in the class.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

If she has ridden pillion enough she probably has some idea (possibly the wrong one). Ask her how SHE thinks the controls work first...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
if she passes the course does she get her endorsement? if so, i'd prepare her as much as possible for everything they go over in the class.
Don't know about there but here if you pass the course you get a card to take to the DMV that let you get out of taking a driving test. You still have to take the written test. You also get a nice discount on insurance for taking the course.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I taught my wife everything before class. She rode abt 800 miles before class. She also read 2 books before she ever touched her bike on pavement. But then again, I am very good at teaching things. I tought her how to drive a stick shift mustang GT back in the day and told her she would have to know how to drive a stick in her sleep before she could ride a bike. My rule. And she owned a stick shift for 3 years after that. Never yell at the person is also a good rule.

But you will find a parking lot will only get you so far on a big street bike. Hard to get speed when nervous and confined to a parking lot. Everntually you just need to hit the street.

Find out the local laws, you can probably get her a permit where she can ride with you on the street. Do a few parking lot hours then hit the road. it will comfort her nerves if she has the upper hand of expierence before the MSF.

That is all IF IF IF you think you can properly teach. Not all husbands are up to the task regardless if they know it or not.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
That is all IF IF IF you think you can properly teach. Not all husbands are up to the task regardless if they know it or not.

Since you are questioning it, I would vote no.

My daughter is taking it in August - and she's been asking me all sorts of questions. I told her I would go over anything she wanted to know - but won't go outside of that to teach her something.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I dont really think driving a stick is a prerequisite for riding a bike. I taught myself to ride a bike at least a year or two before I drove my first stick shift.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #20
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Best advice in the thread.

Many guys don't have the patience to teach something if the student doesn't 'get it' right away.

I'd be all for it assuming you can both stand each other afterward.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote