Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

We have laws against it here. Which I consider beyond retarded.

You're being punished for the potential to cause damage or harm. Not for actually doing it.

If you cause an accident due to texting or talking, you should have a stiffer sentence. If you've never hurt anyone, then they should stop coming up with new laws to stop personal pet peeves.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Well I'm not surprised they had women drivers...
Did anyone notice the "old" man driving on the wrong side of the road? The girls where driving on the left side, went into the right side and crashed which is where they stopped. Then the old man in the bergundy car nailed the shit out of them.

Basically we shouldn't let women or old people drive.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well, a guy almost got a lesson about texting and driving tonight! We rode our bikes to the ECU jamboree and as we were leaving. We were stopped at a stop sign in a line. Well, some jackass on a 3/4 ton Ford rolls out of the parking lot and on to the road and misses my gf by about 2' because he was texting. I came fucking unglued! I jumped up on to his running board and explained to this kid that if he had caused my gf to so much as break a nail I would have stopped his heart!!! The truck was from a local marina and I'm gonna call first thing in the morning to let his Dad know what a fucktard his son is!!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #14
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

You're being punished for the potential to cause damage or harm. Not for actually doing it.

If you cause an accident due to texting or talking, you should have a stiffer sentence. If you've never hurt anyone, then they should stop coming up with new laws to stop personal pet peeves.
Agree 100%.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #15
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well, a guy almost got a lesson about texting and driving tonight! We rode our bikes to the ECU jamboree and as we were leaving. We were stopped at a stop sign in a line. Well, some jackass on a 3/4 ton Ford rolls out of the parking lot and on to the road and misses my gf by about 2' because he was texting. I came fucking unglued! I jumped up on to his running board and explained to this kid that if he had caused my gf to so much as break a nail I would have stopped his heart!!! The truck was from a local marina and I'm gonna call first thing in the morning to let his Dad know what a fucktard his son is!!!!
If you g/f knew how to ride, she would have already been in the next lane over as soon as he pulled out. Just sayin. lol

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
If you g/f knew how to ride, she would have already been in the next lane over as soon as he pulled out. Just sayin. lol
we were sitting at a stop sign in a line... if you knew how to read you wouldn't be forced to live in California! Just sayin' There wasn't any "lane" to get into.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

We have laws against speeding, making illegal turns, and failure to signal a lane change too. All of these are because of the POTENTIAL to cause harm. That's the sort of thing that regulatory laws do; try to regulate behaviour in a way that minimizes the potential to do harm.

I see nothing wrong with such laws. What I do have a problem with is politicians constantly pushing for new laws to govern this sort of thing, rather than bringing existing code up to spec with today's realities. That is nothing more than political grandstanding. Texting while driving is "operation without due care and attention", which is already an infraction that in Ontario will put 6 points on your 15 point (or 9 point probationary driver) license.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #18
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
We have laws against speeding, making illegal turns, and failure to signal a lane change too. All of these are because of the POTENTIAL to cause harm. That's the sort of thing that regulatory laws do; try to regulate behaviour in a way that minimizes the potential to do harm.

I see nothing wrong with such laws.

Agreed...same with drinking and driving...many have done it...including myself without causing an accident or any damage...shouldn't be illegal...right ? Just charge people for it when they actually cause an accident.

Texting while driving is worse than eating or smoking imho.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Agreed...same with drinking and driving...many have done it...including myself without causing an accident or any damage...shouldn't be illegal...right ? Just charge people for it when they actually cause an accident.

Texting while driving is worse than eating or smoking imho.
Many studies, including a rather famous Australian study from 2005, have found that simply talking on a cell phone while driving has roughly the same effect as having 3 'standard' drinks in you. Texting not only take attention away from driving in the same way that talking on a cell does, it also actually takes your vision off the task.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Many studies, including a rather famous Australian study from 2005, have found that simply talking on a cell phone while driving has roughly the same effect as having 3 'standard' drinks in you. Texting not only take attention away from driving in the same way that talking on a cell does, it also actually takes your vision off the task.
Agreed again.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote