Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Me personally, i'd run away if it's insurance sales. I work in the insurance industry (underwriter for a major financial & insurance company) and deal with insurance reps all the time. After a few years here I decided to see what the sales end was like. There is the potential to make somre really, really good money.

The interview was long and drawn out. There was questions about reading, writing, and math. I did great on everything. Then the clincher came. Before my next interview I had to get a list of 100 family members & friends. Then I had to get each of them to refer me to two people. These would be my initial "leads" to start out with.

I'm sorry. No amount of money will make me piss off my friends and family like that. It's one thing if I was in insurance sales and they came to me or referred people to me. I'm not going to solicit friends and family from day one. Sorry.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
Me personally, i'd run away if it's insurance sales. I work in the insurance industry (underwriter for a major financial & insurance company) and deal with insurance reps all the time. After a few years here I decided to see what the sales end was like. There is the potential to make somre really, really good money.

The interview was long and drawn out. There was questions about reading, writing, and math. I did great on everything. Then the clincher came. Before my next interview I had to get a list of 100 family members & friends. Then I had to get each of them to refer me to two people. These would be my initial "leads" to start out with.

I'm sorry. No amount of money will make me piss off my friends and family like that. It's one thing if I was in insurance sales and they came to me or referred people to me. I'm not going to solicit friends and family from day one. Sorry.
Go in the phone book and start with the letter F....

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #13
OneNotSoSickPsycho
Squidliest

Moto: OSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
It's a big company that does life, auto, property, etc.

I really wanted to focus on auto and possibly bike insurance. I really want to eventually do all bike and see if the company I work for will sponsor a race bike for me. Think I should say that in my interview?
Honestly, If he's cool enough, I don't see why you shouldn't spark up some bike conversation. But the interview probably won't be so formal to have a TYPED paper full of questions. Just go in prepared and confident.

I think you'll do fine!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
It's a big company that does life, auto, property, etc.

I really wanted to focus on auto and possibly bike insurance. I really want to eventually do all bike and see if the company I work for will sponsor a race bike for me. Think I should say that in my interview?
ah. Ok. For Life , do you have your NASD licenses? You'll need a Series 6 if you plan on selling Mutual Funds or Variable Annuities and/or a Series 7 if you plan on selling General Securities...

that will probably be a question you're asked. Some companies will allow you a grace period to get them depending on your experience.

Next question: since you mentioned "big company" is this a job for individual sales or for Group sales?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:

I have been told that before, but I've also heard from others that they didn't have to do that. I think it might depend on the company?

I asked about whether or not I would need to produce leads myself or if I would be given assistance and he told me they would give me 1000 leads to work from. I am not sure what that really means, but I guess I'll find out.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
ah. Ok. For Life , do you have your NASD licenses? You'll need a Series 6 if you plan on selling Mutual Funds or Variable Annuities and/or a Series 7 if you plan on selling General Securities...

that will probably be a question you're asked. Some companies will allow you a grace period to get them depending on your experience.

Next question: since you mentioned "big company" is this a job for individual sales or for Group sales?
I don't have the licenses and they know I don't. I was very clear about that and there seemed to be no problem.

It would be individual sales from what I understand, but I will get more clarification tomorrow. I talked to the assistant today, not the guy doing the hiring, so I didn't get all the answers yet.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
I always make a list of questions to ask when I go to interviews. The last one I went to was so informal that my list of questions seemed really out of place. I had it all printed up with the name of the company and my interviewers names at the top...I'm such a dork.

I was reading about sales interviews and several different places mentioned 'sell me this pen' crap and I started to think that if this guy wants me to do that, I don't think I'd want to work for him. Seems lame to me.

I work in HR now, so interviews are nothing new to me, I just was totally confused when I started reading up on sales job interviews.

Thanks for the advise folks! I'll take all I can get.
Usually the sales managers i have worked for are all cracked out. Actually alot of sales people i know are all cracked out. My last interview I barely got a word in as the manager was more interested in hearing himself drone on. Then he asked me if its something (the job) I would like to do, I said yes and he hired me on the spot.

Mostly they want to see if you are confident (will be able to ask for the sale), won't be easily intimidated, and can think quick to overcome objections and rebuttals. And they want to make sure you look normal and presentable also you don't scare off potential customers.

I have a great interviewing manual if you want me to email it to you. Its not sales specific though. I never really had to use it but there is some great info. If you are not too familiar with the sales cycle, look up some info on how to close sales. I lot of times I come across super nice people that drone on and on and talk themselves out of the sale (giving too much info for the customer to come up with objections) rather than just be quick and seal the deal.

That's the only thing I can really think of, is that they might ask you about your sales style. Also if you have a proven track record of pulling in revenue. If you were #1 salesperson for the month, or always hit 110% of quota or whatever, then tell them that. But then also if you did that well, you need a reason why you are no longer in that position. If you are not in sales now, you need a reason why you want a sales job and why you would be good at it.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Me personally, i'd run away if it's insurance sales.
Quote:

Quote:
I have been told that before, but I've also heard from others that they didn't have to do that. I think it might depend on the company?

I asked about whether or not I would need to produce leads myself or if I would be given assistance and he told me they would give me 1000 leads to work from. I am not sure what that really means, but I guess I'll find out.

I was an agent for awhile. I agree about staying away from the sales side. Getting leads is a pain in the ass. Yes, you can make great money at it, but only after you've been doing it for many years. Make sure you have PLENTY of money saved up to live on (preferrably 2 years FULL salary, if not more) and expect to go into debt for your business. Do as much research as you can on how the company helps new agents.

Are you going to be a scratch agent? ie, do you start from scratch or will you start off with a book of business? This is very important. If scratch, save lots of money before hand, as mentioned above.

If you start out with a book, do you have to buy that book? Can it be done in installments or is an upfront fee necessary?

I would highly recommend buying a book of business, if at all possible.

How does the company help you out? Do you get any type of salary, or is it more of a loan that you have to pay back if you don't meet certain numbers or if you quit before a certain amount of time?

Is there a district office that you will work out of to start, or will you have to find your own place? Or does the company mandate where your office will be located?

If it's a big company, I imagine you can only sell their policies. This is also an important piece of info to have. What are your limitations while working for this company?

I hope you like making cold calls and getting out into your community. If you're not a super social person, then insurance sales really isn't the thing to go into. Good luck, whatever you choose.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #19
shmike
Follower

Quote:

Why are you bringing up securities?

She'll be doing P&C with a side of Life. NO NASD required.

I wouldn't worry about the license, the hiring company will set her up. If you can't pass a state insurance exam, maybe fast food would be a more suitable career.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I was an agent for awhile. I agree about staying away from the sales side. Getting leads is a pain in the ass. Yes, you can make great money at it, but only after you've been doing it for many years. Make sure you have PLENTY of money saved up to live on (preferrably 2 years FULL salary, if not more) and expect to go into debt for your business. Do as much research as you can on how the company helps new agents.

Are you going to be a scratch agent? ie, do you start from scratch or will you start off with a book of business? This is very important. If scratch, save lots of money before hand, as mentioned above.

If you start out with a book, do you have to buy that book? Can it be done in installments or is an upfront fee necessary?

I would highly recommend buying a book of business, if at all possible.

How does the company help you out? Do you get any type of salary, or is it more of a loan that you have to pay back if you don't meet certain numbers or if you quit before a certain amount of time?

Is there a district office that you will work out of to start, or will you have to find your own place? Or does the company mandate where your office will be located?

If it's a big company, I imagine you can only sell their policies. This is also an important piece of info to have. What are your limitations while working for this company?

I hope you like making cold calls and getting out into your community. If you're not a super social person, then insurance sales really isn't the thing to go into. Good luck, whatever you choose.
I will definitely make sure all of these questions are answered when I go to the interview. Thanks! I see interviews as a time for me to interview the company as well, so if I don't like it, I don't have to proceed.