Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Too be blunt....
I do not know of anyone who has laid a bike down intentionally.
I know plenty of people who wiped out and claimed they did it intentionally (cause real men are always in control and would never fuck up!!)
Certainly a valid point.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Yup! Scratched up the right side fairing, broke turn signals, have yet to see it but will be getting it back in shape for him. It's still rideable, just has a bit more "character" at the moment.

Other than being a little bit sore and having a sore toe He's okay too...
Glad to hear he is OK. I was going to ask that next.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
NEVER intentionally crash your motorcycle. When you crash, you relinquish all control over your vehicle and the situation. Additionally, every last moment you can spend braking is a significant reduction in impact force with another object.
True!

Quote:
Too be blunt....
I know plenty of people who wiped out and claimed they did it intentionally (cause real men are always in control and would never fuck up!!)
Also probably true

And I would just hit the stoppers as hard as I can.

The act of "laying it down" would involve sliding the rear end out and low siding. In order to do that you have to lock up the rear wheel, turn the bars and tuck the bike towards the pavement.

On my new HD with ABS this is probably going to be impossible. You can't lock up the wheels. Lord knows I've tried... just ask Marko! Damn near did a stoppie in the rain in PA. He looked at me like WTF I just told him I was trying to test the ABS. LOL

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
On my new HD with ABS this is probably going to be impossible. You can't lock up the wheels. Lord knows I've tried... just ask Marko! Damn near did a stoppie in the rain in PA. He looked at me like WTF I just told him I was trying to test the ABS. LOL
Too bad you didn't get this on video, sounds pretty sweet! LOL. Glad nothing happened to you though.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I dunno. I laid my bike down trying to make a turn once, i was just turning harder than the bike had the ability to turn. Did I lay it down on purpose yes I leaned it all the way into the turn as hard as I could hoping not to hit a wall, and in my mind yeh I still had more tire left so I could keep leaning. At the end of the day more tire was really more plastic.

So did I really want to be sliding my bike on its side, not reallly, but yes I did lay it down on purpose
Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Too bad you didn't get this on video, sounds pretty sweet! LOL. Glad nothing happened to you though.
I do it all the time. Its fun!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #17
t-homo
WSB Champion

Quote:
Too be blunt....
That is what i've always thought.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #18
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I dunno. I laid my bike down trying to make a turn once, i was just turning harder than the bike had the ability to turn. Did I lay it down on purpose yes I leaned it all the way into the turn as hard as I could hoping not to hit a wall, and in my mind yeh I still had more tire left so I could keep leaning. At the end of the day more tire was really more plastic.

So did I really want to be sliding my bike on its side, not reallly, but yes I did lay it down on purpose
That is just low siding. Not intentionally laying it down.
Intentionally laying it down is the most useless thing you can do. You have no control over where you are sliding, or what you are going to hit. Keep the bike upright, and SQUEEZE the front brake, and jump on the rear too. You will have a chance to stop, and a good chance to swerve then(or slow down alot more than you would if you 'laid it down'.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

Just the reaction time alone needed to make that snap decision is all the time that it takes for you to hit the car. Usually if a car turns in front of you it is at the last second. I think it is virtually impossible to make up your mind that fast that you are going to lay the bike down and then do it...just not enough time. And like Fleck said, if you lay the bike down you relinquish all your legal rights to the driver who cut you off.

Back in January when I got into my accident, even though I hit the lady from behind the cop still gave her the ticket, the cop determined that it was her fault for causing the accident. Now think about if I would've had enough time to lay the bike down and avoid the accident. My bike would've been wrecked and I still would've gone to the hospital and I would have to foot the bill for the whole thing. Instead make that bitch pay and go on a nice vacation. Of course I am still minus a bike, but that is because I am paying off some other stuff first.

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I'll never lay it down on purpose. For all the reasons mentioned above. I'm going down fighting till the last second.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote