Old 11-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

lil pen...
lil notepad

lil jottin downin of notes as they yap.

be sure to jot down date and time

After each "instructional event" recap with the new set of instructions just to make sure all communication channels are clear.

When the boss switches it up, have the idiot clarify that the previous instruction is no longer valid.

If they say "I didn't say that!"
Respond with "Could you clarify what you meant on <insert date and time>....because my notes contain conflicting info and I want to make sure we are on the same page Eventually they'll refer to you as the bitch with the fucking notepad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Remember to not only write down what is said, have them confirm it.
Repeat back the instruction to them and have them verify that it is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

what pauldun said, though it may get you fired for being a pain in the ass and making too many waves, at least you'll get some satisfaction and laughs out of it.

I would look for another job while you have one Who wants to work in an environment where the boss is an idiot and you have to CYA at all times?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
recording "private" conversations without the consent of all parties is illegal in florida, no matter what you intend to do with the recordings. Recording them for clarity or litigation is all the same. The act of making the recording on its own is what violates the law. The best rule to follow is to avoid recording conversations with anyone, in any state, without getting them to first consent to the recording.
rif

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatard View Post
perhaps as you are being told what to do, you should just write it down while saying "let me make a note of this, so i don't forget"...just to be safe, in light of what goof2 has said.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Remember to not only write down what is said, have them confirm it.
Repeat back the instruction to them and have them verify that it is correct.
I would even have them initial it. Maybe they will get a clue.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
rif
rwywift (remembering what you wrote is fundamental too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Well, I didn't mean to suggest that one should record the conversations with any litigation in mind - just in order to clarify that you had received conflicting instructions.
We agree that writing it down instead of recording is the safest bet, but I was referring to this. I was pointing out that it doesn't matter what you suggest the recording is used for, it remains illegal in Florida if deemed private and without the consent of all parties. FYI, the law is pretty much the same in California.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

The law is the same in a lot of places. However I believe FL law says two people have to consent to the recording. I don't believe it specifies who the second person has to be. So if you are reading between the lines, Rae calls her friend says I'ma record this jabrone and everything is gravy.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I used to work for a guy like that. He was an idiot and the company ended up going out of business.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I would look for another job while you have one Who wants to work in an environment where the boss is an idiot and you have to CYA at all times?
Thats the only thing that I would say, if you arnt happy start looking for something else, but keep what ya already got.

Also ask your boss (or just do it based on what you already learned) to write up an operations book of how and what you are supposed to do. Then have your boss sign off on it. From that point on any time you do something wrong that is according to the policy that the boss signed off on your response should be " but I did it according to the policy that you signed".

Really though, my dealings with that type of person really prove that any approach you take to prove your point will anger that person and just make your life harder in the end. If you embaress your boss or seem in any way to be a threat then she will treat you as such and do her best to get rid of you.

Time for a new job, but dont give up what ya got now
Old 11-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #20
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Good luck working for an idiot. As far as writing things down, I think it's a good idea. But as others have said, you'll probably just piss the person off. They'll get rid of you because you "can't remember simple instructions and have to write everything down." They surely won't be to blame for it. Just FYI.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote