Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

My chemistry textbook actually explained global warming really well and what causes it- trapped carbon dioxide. If you guys really want me too, i'll type some of it out.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I'm naturally skeptical about any "cause" that people are making money off of.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Take into consideration the Prius, heralded as the most environ. friendly car. I wonder how many people who own one know that it is actually pretty bad for the environment, take into account the carbon debt accrued in manufacturing and the drive miles it takes to pay off vs an older used car whose carbon debt is already paid off I.E. (Prius' higher manufacturing impact + (Emissions per mile x miles driven)) is equal to or less than a used car's (manufacturing impact + (emissions per mile x miles driven)). Oh yea then the kicker, by the time you achieve being on the same level as an older car in overall footprint you have to get a new battery bank and dispose of the 30 lbs of mercury in the old batteries... setting you back. Then when you achieve equality again you buy a new car. How many people who run out and buy the new Prius are going to keep it longer than a person who buys an older used car and keeps it in good condition? Hate to break it to you but my old '97 Cavalier (my baby) is better for the earth than your new Prius currently and odds are you won't keep it long enough to overcome that.
Prius = pwn3d
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw

fucking sheep
Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
My chemistry textbook actually explained global warming really well and what causes it- trapped carbon dioxide. If you guys really want me too, i'll type some of it out.
Proof that it is a myth. Everyone knows we have a whole in the Ozone for the CO2 to get out
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
My point exactly. BTW here is an interesting article on Cow emissions, you think your car is bad how about owning a cow that produces greenhouse gases 24 hours a day. Cows, India's Global Warming Problem
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #17
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Personally I think we should try to make less mess of our planet. But I also think that one large volcano will do more to the enviroment than we ever will.

I also think battery powered cars have batteries that will make a larger mess when tossed out and when being made than the normal car makes being driven. So they really are not green at all.

I normally would rather kick a hippy than talk to one.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

The oceans are probably what we're destroying more on earth than anything else, but we do harm wherever we tread.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well, doesn't the data that shows how the fluctuations have become wider since industrialization lead you to think that maybe we are having an effect?
There was a show on Discovery a while back about the evolution of life up until man kind (nothing to do with global warming). They had scorpions the size of rottweilers. During each cycle they showed the oxygen level,average temp compared to today and there were many phases where it was 10degrees hotter (I believe in celcius) and then many times where it was 10degrees cooler.

I personally like to believe that man made global warming exists because I hate the cold with a passion. But I think there is very little man can do to affect the climate.

Also if the temperature rises wouldn't we have more evaporation and thus more rain which would cool the earth down? And if it was cooler less evaporation which would heat the Earth up? Basically it looks like Earth has it's own cooling and heating system like a car would.

I know too little about this stuff to make a definitive comment but I do believe most global warming/climate change concerns are just anti-capitalist/American people looking for a new home since the fall of the Soviet Union.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I definitely think there has been global climate change. And in my mind it seems to be happening a lot faster than it used to (based on historical graphs).

I remember cold cold winters with tons of snow. Now, we hardly get anything.

Thats strange, because were getting more and more cold and snow (and I love it!)
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote