Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

potato, potato, tomato, tomato!

All spining things have both they are the same expressed differently you can't have one with out the other. All be it at one or less RPM its real hard to express HP it is still there.

Both are a way to explain work. Torque is no more hand of God than HP is its just a way we explain work being done.

For the record I'll take reliable for the win. I don't care how the work is measured as long as its there when I ask for it.

To say one is better than the other is complete crap. Cause when taken to extreems both are nearly unusable.

Example a steam engine is known for a crap ton of torque (lots of HP also) and a F1 car is know for a crap ton of HP(also lots of torque too) but you can't mow your lawn with either.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
potato, potato, tomato, tomato!

All spining things have both they are the same expressed differently you can't have one with out the other. All be it at one or less RPM its real hard to express HP it is still there.
No, they arent the same at all. Torque and rpm are not a product of horsepower, horsepower is a product of torque and rpm. The first two are very real things, the last is an imaginary equation consisting of the two very real things..
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
No, they arent the same at all. Torque and rpm are not a product of horsepower, horsepower is a product of torque and rpm. The first two are very real things, the last is an imaginary equation consisting of the two very real things..
Werd, it's like saying 45= 9 x 5. Therefore, 9 and 5 are equal.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Therefore, 9 and 5 are equal.
Maybe if Lindsay Davidson is doing the math.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Harely/buell riders always defend toque as if you can grab hold of it.

It is a unit of measure, a unit of Torque can no more be held in your hand than can a unit of HP and is there for no more real. Its just a unit of measure expressed in a different way. Its just a unit used by humans to describe work. Normally foot/pounds but can also be Newton/meter or you can make up your own for the sake of the moment, like say ounces/meter.(oh how dare I mix 2 seperate systems of measure)
Old 11-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:

It is a unit of measure, a unit of Torque can no more be held in your hand than can a unit of HP and is there for no more real. Its just a unit of measure expressed in a different way. Its just a unit used by humans to describe work. Normally foot/pounds but can also be Newton/meter or you can make up your own for the sake of the moment, like say ounces/meter.(oh how dare I mix 2 seperate systems of measure)
I use torque wrenches all the time. They allow me to feel torque quite well. Every time I loosen a bolt, screw, valve torque is what turns it.

I'm yet to find a hp wrench. So, I can't really feel that on a regular basis. But, then again, I can distinguish between the two.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Apoc

Quote:

Did you get past grade 6? Or were you taught that the way to cover yourself when your wrong is to be defensive and defend your silly idealogies in hopes no one recognizes your a fool? Catholic perhaps?

I'll type it once more, slowly. Torque and rpm are real, measured forces. Horsepower is a number that comes from an equation [ (torque x RPM)/5252 ].
Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #18
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

And yet you still don't know that you can input it into your own equation and get a HP rating for your beloved torque wrench.

So does your torque wrench measure in pound feet/second or pound feet/minute or don't you know?
Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #19
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

So by your rational a pound is a more tangable unit of measure because its closer to the root than a foot pound/second.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
Apoc

Quote:
And yet you still don't know that you can input it into your own equation and get a HP rating for your beloved torque wrench.
Yes, you can get a horsepower rating on your torque wrench if you do the math, doesnt make it any more real.