Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Kia.

When I was a kid, "Made In Japan" on the bottom of something meant it was crap.

Now Lexus (Toyota) is as highly regarded as BMW and Mercedes. Clearly, the Japanese came a long way in some 25 year span.

The Koreans at first made CRAP. Utter trash. The first Kia cars were little tin death traps, wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Cut to today:

Kia (Now owned by Hyundai), and other Korean manufacturers are making cars on par with the Japanese. They even offer a TEN YEAR/100,000 mile warranty.

All in the span of about 10 years.

Now, listen up: The Chinese are about to enter the car market in full force. Expect them to take even less time to get to where the Japanese and Koreans are now, in terms of automobile construction quality.

The new Kias look really nice, the Coupe looks awesome.

Previously, I wouldn't have been caught dead in one, now, I'd even consider getting one.

Is it a Lexus? No. is it comparable to a Civic? Yeah.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
What are your thoughts on this manufacturer?

A friend who likes to be very contrary has terrible things to say about them (all based on anecdotal evidence). I know nothing but I want to prove her wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well she said they're one of the most unsafe cars out there and that her friends who own Kia's have been in accidents and have been injured more because they drove Kia's.

Um....how about if all your friends that drive Kia's have ALL been in accidents....maybe they're bad drivers.

Your friend sounds like an idiot.

KIA's are fine.
Way back when they were crap.

Nowadays they are fine as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule.
Kia and Hyundai are mainly guilty of using the occasional low quality sensor. It's not like they are unreliable...its just that you may get a check engine light and have to have it checked out.

When you look at the design of em, you can see where decision were made to keep costs down, HOWEVER those decisions seem to be more touch and feel type stuff than longevity.

I would rate KIA\Hyundai from as good solid cars. the big issue with KIA and Hyundai seems to be owners who treat them as disposable tissues and dealerships who suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Your friend sounds like an idiot.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Nowadays they are fine as long as you stick to the maintenance schedule.
Kia and Hyundai are mainly guilty of using the occasional low quality sensor. It's not like they are unreliable...its just that you may get a check engine light and have to have it checked out.
I bought my 02 Hyundai in 06 with 60,000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 miles, and I do not do alot of preventative maintenance on it, and have never seen the check engine light. You are more likely to see it on a new VW.

Kia is now where Hyundai was 5 years ago, and they are catching up fast. They will both be directly comparable to Honda very soon(if they have not gotten there already)
Old 12-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Agree with post #11...#12...and #13.

I don't own either but would. Both Hyundai and Kia used to be junk but aren't now.

As stated Hyundai > Kia but both are decent for the $$.

As I stated I own neither so I don't care if anyone bashes them but junk these days...they are not.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

My '07 Optima now has around 53,000 miles on it

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=280233

(Apparently my pic links are no longer good)

Either way, it's been a fairly solid car and I beat the hell out of it.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Kia crash-worthiness was brought up.

If memory serves, a few years back some cars fared miserably in insurance industry tests, but were quickly redesigned, and re-submitted for testing, where they performed "average".

Kia's current model lineup, however, includes 5-star rated models for crash-worthiness, if memory serves. It's probably best to look them up individually, however, but I believe they "crash well" now...
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #17
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I have a 2001 Kia Sportage. It's paid for, gets 20mpg and has 4wd. Aside from regular maintenance, and swapping out their TERRIBLE vacuum locking hubs for Warn manual hubs, it has been rock solid.

I has very few creature comforts and feels cheaply made (because it is cheaply made). But, it works for me. I don't need a fancy car; I have a bike that can darn near crack 100 mph in 1st gear.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Ya she's being an idiot about this.

I really want a Soul. I think they are good looking cars and would love to get rid of my current car. But it's not going to happen for a while....so was just curious.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I think I'm gonna agree with everyone else that they arent bad cars, but they have a cheap feel about them.

The only thing I will add is that from what I hear the re-sale market is crappy for them, KBB and nada say one thing, but dealership you go to will offer you 1/2 of the trade in value, and selling one person to person isnt too much better because the name isnt associated with quality and the interior backs it up
Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I know 4 people that work for Kia Motors America in Costa Mesa (I think). They are pretty decent cars IMO, minus the transmission to engine shifting. Interior materials have come along way since its early introduction to this country, on par with a Civic interior or Cobalt, but not near VW's.

I rented a Kia Soul the last time I was in Chicago. Actually was impressed with the vehicle overall and very well built. Engine speed on the freeway was kinda high and the fuel mileage was only in the upper 20s.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 12-14-2009 at 08:29 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote