Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's possible to get Mac hardware performance for much cheaper. It just requires you to be more proactive in your hardware choices. Read reviews and ask questions about what mobo will perform with what ram and video card better. It's what Mac does and when you do it, it will work like that. Mac is the good no brainer way to get this done for you without the work though.
...Exactly, and if your line of work is NOT PCs, and you just wanna get back to what it is you do, it's totally worth it, IMHO...because it's also very elegant (the wireless KB looks like it should be on display in MOMA), and energy efficient too.

The Mini form factor is suitable for 99.9% of what we use computers for, and it's so small, so good on electricity, and so compatible with everything that it IS really a total no-brainer. Fuck PCs, and all that crunching and grinding and fan noise. The Mini is near dead silent, despite having a tiny fan, and takes up as much room as a stack of 6 CDs on the desk. Plug it into an LCD TV, and you have an instant (wireless networked) media center PC/TV.

I've finally come to the conclusion that I will pay for the modest privilege of saving my precious time and brain for my real job, and my life, and screw jerking off PC hardware configuration nightmares. It's just not fucking worth it. The Apple shit just works, and you can just get back to life.

Simplify.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
...Exactly, and if your line of work is NOT PCs, and you just wanna get back to what it is you do, it's totally worth it, IMHO...because it's also very elegant (the wireless KB looks like it should be on display in MOMA), and energy efficient too.

The Mini form factor is suitable for 99.9% of what we use computers for, and it's so small, so good on electricity, and so compatible with everything that it IS really a total no-brainer. Fuck PCs, and all that crunching and grinding and fan noise. The Mini is near dead silent, despite having a tiny fan, and takes up as much room as a stack of 6 CDs on the desk. Plug it into an LCD TV, and you have an instant (wireless networked) media center PC/TV.

I've finally come to the conclusion that I will pay for the modest privilege of saving my precious time and brain for my real job, and my life, and screw jerking off PC hardware configuration nightmares. It's just not fucking worth it. The Apple shit just works, and you can just get back to life.

Simplify.
I agree. I always recommend Macs to my computer illiterate family. Like you said, they work 95% of the time, they are dead simple, and I don't have to deal with my families questions and the crap that computer illiterate people do to PCs to make them stop working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
t-homo
WSB Champion

I would love to build a gaming PC, half just for the experience of building it. I have gone through and picked out each of the parts a couple of times but never gone through with buying it all and putting it together. Pretty fun really.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I used to hate MacOS... but it's grown on me. The fact that iMovie and GarageBand came installed on my Macbook were HUGE bonuses. iMovie makes creaing professional-looking movies insanely easy... and I can plug my electric guitar into my laptop, tune it, and download guitar lessons to play along with since I'm a guitar n00b.

Yes, I could get something just as good in a regular PC, but it does require a lot of know-how in finding the computers, or building one from scratch. I may, down the line, build a faster than shit PC for playing those windows-only, graphics-intensive video games.. but it will be a single-purpose computer.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I agree. I always recommend Macs to my computer illiterate family. Like you said, they work 95% of the time, they are dead simple, and I don't have to deal with my families questions and the crap that computer illiterate people do to PCs to make them stop working.
Understand something; I used to be a computer consultant. I can just easily think of shit I'd far rather do, is all. I used to get off on building "ultimate" systems. That just got old, and frankly, this shit just works.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Understand something; I used to be a computer consultant. I can just easily think of shit I'd far rather do, is all. I used to get off on building "ultimate" systems. That just got old, and frankly, this shit just works.
I don't have to understand. I am an electrical engineer and can build the shit from scratch and like doing it.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 01-25-2010 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #17
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

OK, your E-penis is bigger, Mr. Engineer...but I too know how to build PCs, was my only point - it's just that Apple does it better (and smaller, and more elegant, and more efficient), but for not much more money...and all with far less hassle for me.

Frankly, that's all it took for me to wanna move on to more important things (I no longer "like" doing that shit).

For me, I deemed it worthwhile (~$1500 a room for integrated Mac/Win/TV). YMMV.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
OK, your E-penis is bigger, Mr. Engineer...but I too know how to build PCs, was my only point - it's just that Apple does it better (and smaller, and more elegant, and more efficient), but for not much more money...and all with far less hassle for me.

Frankly, that's all it took for me to wanna move on to more important things (I no longer "like" doing that shit).

For me, I deemed it worthwhile (~$1500 a room for integrated Mac/Win/TV). YMMV.
Yes, I know, I have already said multiple times that I agree with you that apple is less hassle. I am not the one that started the whole computer consultant crap. Any tom/dick/harry can build a PC if they can read, it's not hard. Hell I think I built a PC before I even knew what an Ohm was...

It's always easier to spend money to buy something vs putting in the time to build it right. I could build a lot of computer components myself, but the cost and quality of a homebrew is totally idiotic vs buying it online on newegg.

I think it is fair to say everyone on this board understands the whole Cost vs Time concept.
Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #19
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Actually....Macs are only middle of the road when it comes to hardware reliability. Some might say they are POS
Sony, Asus and Toshiba are ahead of Macs when it comes to reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #20
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Macbook FTW.
Yeah, because Apple never has issues.

take the red one