Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

neat idea - as far as the motorcycle camping thing: been there, done that. I'm good thanks. I'll stay at a Hilton or even a Holiday Inn Express while you fight off damp and bugs, thanks.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Hilton doesn't have a view like this to wake up to . . .

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Hilton doesn't have a view like this to wake up to . . .

Blocked on this PC

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Motorcycle camping is soooooo much better than staying in a stuffy hotel.

1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Motorcycle camping is soooooo much better than staying in a stuffy hotel.
For someone who might only ride a couple hundred miles a day, I might agree with you. (not saying you do or did, I'm talking about in general)

When I tour, I'll usually lay down a minimum of 500 miles, and I just don't feel like messing with camping gear at that point. Food, beer, and bed. Usually in that order.

Last edited by G-Rex; 05-18-2010 at 05:04 PM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

You're just a wuss, G

I might not get in 500 miles, but I'll bet my days are longer and harder than yours and I'd still MUCH rather camp than hole up in some hotel room.

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
When I tour, I'll usually lay down a minimum of 500 miles, and I just don't feel like messing with camping gear at that point. Food, beer, and bed. Usually in that order.
Does touring at that kind of pace ever stop feeling "fun" and start feeling like "work" for you? Like the destination is more important than the journey kind of thing?

You have FAR more touring experience than I do...but the touring I've done I've prefered a pace around 250-300 miles a day...a full day of riding but with time enough to enjoy the trip along the way.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Does touring at that kind of pace ever stop feeling "fun" and start feeling like "work" for you? Like the destination is more important than the journey kind of thing?

You have FAR more touring experience than I do...but the touring I've done I've prefered a pace around 250-300 miles a day...a full day of riding but with time enough to enjoy the trip along the way.
This. I've had fun both ways-camping and hotels. Depends on the crew I'm riding with.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #19
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
You're just a wuss, G

I might not get in 500 miles, but I'll bet my days are longer and harder than yours and I'd still MUCH rather camp than hole up in some hotel room.
Haha! I definitely believe that your days are harder. Much harsher terrain. I just know how I like to tour, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post

I guess it depends on what you're used to. It doesn't feel like *work* to me until I cross the 800 mile threshold in a day. 250-300 miles? I'll do that much distance before stopping for breakfast half the time.

The journey is always of utmost importance. Hell, I've managed to stop and take pictures even on my Iron Butt rides. Just because you're laying down a lot of miles doesn't mean you are rushing. It's all in time management, and I've gotten pretty good at my own time management.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Haha! I definitely believe that your days are harder. Much harsher terrain. I just know how I like to tour, that's all.

I guess it depends on what you're used to. It doesn't feel like *work* to me until I cross the 800 mile threshold in a day. 250-300 miles? I'll do that much distance before stopping for breakfast half the time.

The journey is always of utmost importance. Hell, I've managed to stop and take pictures even on my Iron Butt rides. Just because you're laying down a lot of miles doesn't mean you are rushing. It's all in time management, and I've gotten pretty good at my own time management.
I'm not knocking you at all...and I don't doubt for a minute that you have it down cold...you've done quite a bit more touring than I have. I was just curious if that kind of mileage started wearing on you. I've done a 500 mile day once...more out of necessity than desire...and I was left feeling like I didn't want to do another 500 mile day again any time soon.

I've acquired quite a few "over the road enhancements" for my bike since that day...windscreen...better luggage instead of a backpack etc so it might be different now. I'll do about a 250 mile day Friday night after work...and have a 280 mile loop through the Ozarks lined up for Saturday. Four States in 3 days..should be a good time.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote