Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Wow, thats really fair for the non smokers. Do they get to leave when they want for long breaks?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
you mean other than the freakin $6 a pack price tag?

cigarette tax imposing gov't and tobacco companies

My gf pays $13 a pack...
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Yeah, fuck the smokers. They raise the price of healthcare for everyone.

Of course, if we're going that route, we also need to say fuck the motorcyclists (crashes are expensive, especially for those no-gear-wearing assholes). Let's not forget about all those runners with their eventual knee, hip, and foot problems (and athletes in general- shoulder surgery isn't cheap either). Then there are people who drink alcohol- cirrhosis can be a serious problem.

My favorite of all, though, are the triple-cheeseburger and fries guzzling fatasses. Last time I looked it up, obesity-related health care costs were something like triple what tobacco-related costs were. Hypertension, diabetes, stroke, MI, etc are pretty goddamn expensive.

On a related note:
Caveman, don't be pissed at the greedy tobacco companies, be pissed at the greedy government. Of that $6 you pay per pack, less than a buck actually goes to the companies who did all the work. The rest goes to the government so they can pay the healthcare costs for fat people. You see, for some reason, it's socially acceptable to declare tobacco "evil" and tax the crap out of it while restricting the companies' access to things like advertising and other normal business practices, but it's completely unacceptable to do the same with McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Carl's Jr, etc.

The simple fact is that McDonald's kills more people (by a lot) and creates higher healthcare costs (again, by a lot) than Phillip Morris does. So why are cigarettes taxed to death, not allowed to advertise, and outright banned, but Big Macs aren't?
Because cigarettes are actually addictive?
Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
My favorite of all, though, are the triple-cheeseburger and fries guzzling fatasses. Last time I looked it up, obesity-related health care costs were something like triple what tobacco-related costs were. Hypertension, diabetes, stroke, MI, etc are pretty goddamn expensive.
They keep me working too

I do agree that obesity is a problem now and will only get worse as these fat kids become fat adults and these problems manifest themselves. Thing is if someone isa smoker we know that puts them at higher risk for MI or stroke as does their weight/obesity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
So are big macs
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
So is fast food and chocolate, both of which are major factors in obesity.

I also don't buy the concept that tobacco is THAT addictive. I smoke, but I do so because I choose to smoke. It's fairly routine for me to go a day or two without a cigarette because I don't feel like it or because I just plain forget that I'm a smoker. If and when I decide to quit, it'll be an easy transition for me. Honestly, that day may not be too far off, but I want the decision to be mine and not the federal government's.

Fun fact- if you take three groups of people (smokers, fatties, and "healthy people" and study their healthcare costs from age 20 until death, the healthy people have the HIGHEST total healthcare costs because they live too goddamn long and elderly healthcare is damn expensive. The fatties have the second-highest lifetime healthcare costs (only because they die long before the healthy folks), and the smokers have the lowest lifetime costs, even though their life expectancy is quite a bit longer than the obesity group. Isn't science fun?

ETA: dammit, Tommy beat me to the punch.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

But you're ignoring the fact that cigarettes are designed to be addictive.

How are chocolate and fast food addictive? What chemicals in them make your body dependant on it like nicotine does?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
But you're ignoring the fact that cigarettes are designed to be addictive.

How are chocolate and fast food addictive? What chemicals in them make your body dependant on it like nicotine does?

ever seen a fat man walk away from a cheeburger? I didn't think so.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

My insurance company makes smokers pay more...and the non smokers pay what they paid before...So it doesnt hurt the non smokers.

Seems fair to me
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

She should switch to vaping and then she could do it indoors, nobody would know a thing.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

15 minutes outside smoking
or
15 minutes in the break room
or
15 minutes hanging out in someone else's office
or
15 minutes reading the paper on the toilet
or
15 minutes arguing about smokers on the internet
or
15 minutes running out to starbucks

The list goes on and on...

I think the bigger issue is that all those productive people who alledgedly take no breaks aren't getting proper excersise.

"Who never leaves their desk?"
That fat non coffee drinking, non smoking, non talking, non shitting cow third door on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote