Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Hey Lee, just use the tube that fits your rims. Those little grommets and adapters actually can cause pinching especially if your rims have a "v" in them.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

That's weird. I've used presta exclusively for about 15 years and never had a leaky stem. Are these budget tubes or something?

I guess all my rims have been drilled for presta, so maybe it's the grommet that's causing problems. I usually keep the nut on the stem cinched down pretty tight, and maybe yours are moving around when you ride and causing problems.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
That's weird. I've used presta exclusively for about 15 years and never had a leaky stem. Are these budget tubes or something?

I guess all my rims have been drilled for presta, so maybe it's the grommet that's causing problems. I usually keep the nut on the stem cinched down pretty tight, and maybe yours are moving around when you ride and causing problems.
I believe the last two were seamless Continental tubes.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #14
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Do you realize you could have Googled it and gotten the answer in much shorter time than it took you to reply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
That's weird. I've used presta exclusively for about 15 years and never had a leaky stem.
Same here. Been using them forever and haven't had any issues with them at all.

Castor - what does your buddy do when he gets a flat on the trail? Expects others to fill up his tires for him? I stopped to help a couple cute girls air up their tires on the trail this weekend, so there is another upside to carrying your own pump that fits
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've found that presta valves are more durable when mountain biking and I find that it's easier to fill the tube with presta valves.

Some people have told me there is "weight savings" when using the presta valves but I would think that's negligible.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of time to pump them vs. te Schraeders on my wife's bike (same pump - it has connections for both valve types).
Not amount of time, but amount of force necessary. With Schraeder, the valve spring is stiffer.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post

Castor - what does your buddy do when he gets a flat on the trail?

So far neither of us have had a flat on the trail...but thankfully the trail we typically ride is a greenway around a lake with LOTS of riders...so SOMEBODY will have one (I hope ) otherwise....he'll be sitting there while I ride 7 miles back to the truck
Old 09-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Oh, so you don't have a pump either? lol

I won't leave the garage without tools, extra tubes, and a pump. I've had flat tires riding a paved bike path. They can happen anywhere, ya know.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
My neighbor has those Presta Valves on his MTB

He's ALWAYS complaining about them.....I can't see the benefit personally....but I'm not one to ride a umteen thousand dollar MTB.

Irony is he's too cheap to buy the $40 pump to air them up himself...so when he has to air up, we have to swing by the bike shop before the trails
That's retarded... buy the $1 adapter and carry it with you every time you bike...

Quote:

Me too... never any issue. As I think udman said, you're rims probably aren't designed for presta valves.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote