Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
What schools get 3-4 months of summer vacation?
Last time I checked, June July and August are three months.

Up North - the school let out end of May and didn't start until after Labor day...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Fuuuuuuuck no.

Hey Obama it's about quality of education, not quantity. Get the fucking kids to actually go to school and do their f-in homework.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Fuuuuuuuck no.

Hey Obama it's about quality of education, not quantity. Get the fucking kids to actually go to school and do their f-in homework.
Its about parents commitment to their child's education. Sadly, there are a lot of places the the US the don't give a shit what their kids do. Que 16 year old, tattooed, breast implant runaway girl.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Yes, they should be taking continuous education. I'm not saying students should be in classes all year. I'm all for more sporadic breaks rather than three to four months in the summer. It is in those breaks teachers would have the opportunity for those classes and changes.
this, maybe just spacing out the school year instead of making it longer, would be better and get rid of the 1-2 months refresher every year. Instead of having one big summer vacation, making spring break/fall break longer and add a few more smaller breaks in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I think this has little to do with helping the kids as much as it has to do with the teacher's unions (aka strong democrat supporters). I'm sure in the contracts somewhere teachers have longer school year clauses that increase pay/benefits/etc. I know the big manufacturing unions have similar clauses when it comes to minimum wage (which is why they always push for a raise) despite their employees make 3x+ as much as the MW. Their pay just goes up with the MW because it is written in their contracts it much be a X% higher than the MW.

Kids can't vote so I doubt President Obama or any politician gives 2 shits about them. Teachers and Parents (who see more government babysitter time) do.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

If school was year round roud here about a lot of teachers committing suicide. They more of a break than the kids do. LOL

The problem i found is the teachers lectured the full class time and i had homework in every damn class. Im not against home but not from every class and having to stay up late constantly to finish. How is a kid suppose to get help at home? My father graduated decades before me. The teacher isntvgoin to hand out his/her #. Homework was pretty much a test each night. There was no such hing as study hall. You know, being able to finish school work at school. Hell i even had a female teacher that told me her homework needed to be done first.

Also coaches should not be teachers unless they can actually teach. Out of all the years i had two coaches that actually knew what they were teaching and cared about what they were teaching.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 10-04-2010 at 12:01 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
If school was year round roud here about a lot of teachers committing suicide. They more of a break than the kids do. LOL

The problem i found is the teachers lectured the full class time and i had homework in every damn class. Im not against home but not from every class and having to stay up late constantly to finish. How is a kid suppose to get help at home? My father graduated decades before me. The teacher isntvgoin to hand out his/her #. Homework was pretty much a test each night. There was no such hing as study hall. You know, being able to finish school work at school. Hell i even had a female teacher that told me her homework needed to be done first.

Also coaches should not be teachers unless they can actually teach. Out of all the years i had two coaches that actually knew what they were teaching and cared about what they were teaching.
Exactly same as me, I couldn't ask my parents help with any of my homework. A lot of times I had no idea what the hell was going on and almost failed high school because of it. Never had any time to really ask any questions in class. Now kids atleast have email access to some of their teachers.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #18
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I did 1 hour of homework in Study Hall in high school and got a 3.52GPA.

But I stuided 3 hours a night and 8 on the weekends in Electrical Engineering school. Shit sucked.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #19
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

And who gets to foot the bill to renovate old schools in the northern states and equip them with AC? No thanks.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #20
snobuny
Kneedragger

Moto: 01 kawa 600R, 03 636 track, yz250motard

who needs a/c.....we didn't when we grew up so get a fan suck it up and deal with it! I remember having class under a tree in June when in high school many years ago cause it was so hot.

I think it would keep kids off the streets with nothing to do in some urban areas and hopefullykeep them from losing everything over the summer.....hence the 2 months of refresher in the fall.

We have a year round charter school in the area.....2 year wait to get in, top scores for all the kids and unbelieveable graduation rates/college acceptance. No, its not private, no tuition, kids in local area get first pick, then schools of choice from all other areas.

They get 4 weeks off in the summer, then 2 weeks in fall, winter and spring, plus the normal holidays. I think they only get one week at christmas instead of 2.

Teachers love it.....more small breaks, Parents love it....less child care, kids love it.....keeps them busy and the breaks are well spaced so they don't miss the big summer. Not sure tourism industry will love it but they will cope.
snobuny is offline   Reply With Quote