Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I have a front and rear stand. Beyond this, not sure what I'd do.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Ratchet straps are fine as long as they are heavy duty enough... I mean some of them have pull strengths several time the weight of a motorcycle. I last hung mine from my stairs at my apt to change my triple clamp, bearings and install the Cycle Cat top triple. I mean our bikes weigh in at 4-500 lbs, big deal.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Nah Dawg. Just the front end. Since my rads on are the sides there is a bracket welded to my frame on each side as holding points for my rads. I just put a hook there, then the other hook goes through the hook on the cherry picker then to the bracket on the other side.

Of course I have a center stand to stabilize the rear. I'd put your rear on a choke. If you suspend it like the gsxr, then it's just going to move around on you when trying to take parts on/off and loosen/tighten bolts. Plus his front tire is too close to the picker.
I usually tie the wheel to the frame of the cherry picker so the bike doesnt move, its not perfect, but it works well enough. I can also spin the bike around and tie the back wheel to the hoist too. I've never had the luck to lift a bike that was easy to lift, generally i put the straps under both triple trees so that the weight is actually supported by the neck, in the rear the subframe holds it up.

I only ever do this if I need to work on the suspension or wheels, everything else can be done on the ground. The GSXR in my picture was lowered 3 inches and I was putting it back to stock height
Old 01-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Ratchet straps are fine as long as they are heavy duty enough... I mean some of them have pull strengths several time the weight of a motorcycle. I last hung mine from my stairs at my apt to change my triple clamp, bearings and install the Cycle Cat top triple. I mean our bikes weigh in at 4-500 lbs, big deal.
Thats what I was thinking, the ones I have are rated for 1000 lbs each, so they should be able to hold 500 lbs spread between 2 of them. I also wont use the pull through ones that I can never get tight, they suck
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

That's the pull strength of the whole strap. I always worry about the stitching around the hooks and ratchet.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 PM   #16
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

I used a 1,600-pound test ratchet strap as a lanyard while working on my roof this spring. The latch failed and I slid off the house, tearing the ACL, MCL, and patellar tendon in my left knee when I hit the ground. I'd been using it for days without incident when it gave out.

I'll use a ratchet strap to tie something down, but that was the last time I use one to suspend anything of value.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #17
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

engine hoist with chains here.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #18
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Chains go scratchy scratchy.

If youre really worried about weight, they do makes straps that are used to raise BIG sea boatsout of the water.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I used a 1,600-pound test ratchet strap as a lanyard while working on my roof this spring. The latch failed and I slid off the house, tearing the ACL, MCL, and patellar tendon in my left knee when I hit the ground. I'd been using it for days without incident when it gave out.

I'll use a ratchet strap to tie something down, but that was the last time I use one to suspend anything of value.
What gave on it? Did the strap break or did the ratchet let go?

Generally, the force to tie something down isn't much different than that of holding something up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Chains go scratchy scratchy.
Was thinking the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
What gave on it? Did the strap break or did the ratchet let go?

Generally, the force to tie something down isn't much different than that of holding something up...
Yep but a lack of force could cause the strap to slip. From what he said the latch broke, but did the wheel spin freely, or did the return springs fail? Or was there a lack of tension on the strap and it slid free? Those ratchet straps rely on multiple tension wraps around the cylinder of the strap against itself for strength. The tighter the strap is tied down, the more tension teh strap places on itself