Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I've known a few teachers and administrators... that's their biggest issue that they have to deal with... stupid parents.
I taught High School - that's one of the reasons I left.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
I've known a few teachers and administrators... that's their biggest issue that they have to deal with... stupid parents.
It's a shame, right? And to think, they could have been educated as kids...

It's the circle of life, Simba. The dumbness downward spiral of doom.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
It's a shame, right? And to think, they could have been educated as kids...

It's the circle of life, Simba. The dumbness downward spiral of doom.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

When you tie pay and money to test scores, they will either dumb down the test, or cheat. Why should we expect anything else from unionized, government employ...er...public servants?
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujimoh View Post
When you tie pay and money to test scores, they will either dumb down the test, or cheat. Why should we expect anything else from unionized, government employ...er...public servants?
If you tie pay and money to stock prices they will either embark on destructive short term endeavours to pump up the stock price or mislead the investors outright.

If you tie pay and money to units produced, they will either take shortcuts in the manufacturing process or they will use simpler less robust components.

If you tie pay and money to tickets issued, they will abuse the system and issue unwarranted tickets with the hope that most people will not fight it.

If you tie predictable human behaviours with every little pet peeve you have with today's society you can have pointless posts like mine.

The issue in Atlanta is not that they are unionised. The issue is that they are southerners from Atlanta. Dealing with kids from Atlanta.

By definition they put 85% effort into anything they do (if it is not directly tied to their own household. If they are working for someone else...gat damn they take forever to do everything. Working for themselves...they are alight).

I know this as fact because I heard it on the some radio show....or maybe it was on the TV.

As you know...I'm just kidding.

Everyone knows this is what happens when you put obese women in the same room as a black man with a suit. Shit is gonna get corrupted QUICK SON!!!

Wait...thats not right...its not racial.
Its all the liberal northerners who moved down there. Northerners and their fucking spreadsheets.

SERIOUSLY....this is why you don't let women run things. Anywhere you have women running the show like schools and hospitals its all fucked up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbK9eybE35E

Honestly....I think its just a sad situation where you have a lot of asshole kids, lazy parents and people (many of which have had their spirit broken dealing with kids coming into the school) worrying about their jobs being taken away.
Because of little assholes whose parents put no emphasis on education run around the schools dragging everyone else down, educators who are forced by lawyers and parents too adopt all these stupid policies and procedures to cover their ass are

I forgot my point.

I had none really.

Atlanta sucks.
NYC schools suck.

Out district doesn't suck though. We have a lot of good districts where we are. Parents are still a pain in the ass but their is a bigger emphasis on education here (meaning do well and get you ass to college)

Not as much as that "Just kill time until I get picked up by the NFL\NBA\get a record deal\I'm just going to join the service anyway after school\Imma gonna get on that TV show" that seems to ...just kidding. I'm never went to school down their so I dont know what its like.

What Atlanta needs is more Asian people (not CHINESE chinese people they suck...you gotta find some nice Koreans\Japanese\Indian people), gays and Jewish people. That is going to be the only way to turn things around down there.

That's all I can think of for now....anyone have anything else to add?

In all seriousness...this post has effectively ended all political aspirations I may have.
Pretty sure its going to come back to screw me in any employment moves I make.

Fuck you all

Where is my fucking Google + invites and how come you guys aren't my facebook friends?

assholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I'm probably the only one that thinks our public schools suck on purpose huh?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #17
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I'm probably the only one that thinks our public schools suck on purpose huh?
Please expound...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #18
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Please expound...
Wait... don't respond yet...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Ok... Ready.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #20
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:

Ok... Ready.
Nicely played.

Simply put, a well educated, intelligent and thoughtful society would not allow the big brotherish type government control that we have now and are moving ever more deeply into. Public school is there to dumb-down the populace, ensure allegiance, stifle independent rational thought and make sure there is always a large percentage of the population that is easily manipulated, gullible and fat.

The Underground History of American Education by John Gatto is a pretty good read on this subject. But you don't have to read a book to see what's going on, just have a kid who's in public school look at the bullshit they're taught and how little education of substance they get.

Here's an article I pulled up while looking for the name of that book that reports on the actual current state of education, and not so much the conspiracy theory that Government and Big Business has a very vested interest in making sure your kids are dumb little servants.

Quote:
Dumbing Down Our Schools

By Ruth Mitchell
Tuesday, April 27, 2004; Page A21

In a high school science class, students are learning the metric system to measure parts of a diagram. In a high school English class, students are coloring shields that represent a Greek god or goddess. A 10th-grade biology class is cutting out labels to be glued on paper in the correct order of photosynthesis.

If you visited these classes and didn't look at the sign over the door of the school, you might think you were in an elementary school, or a middle school at best. But such classes are not atypical in large urban high schools, where, except for the Advanced Placement (AP) and honors classes, much of the classroom work is below grade level.

On one trip to a Midwestern city, I found one out of eight assignments at grade level in two high schools. A colleague popped in on about 40 English classes in the course of a day at a West Coast high school and found one -- just one -- class where real learning was going on.

This is the dirty secret in the wars over teacher quality: the low level of academic work at all levels in far too many schools. The consequences of low-level work are seen in poor test results: Students given only work that is below their grade level cannot pass standardized tests about material they have never seen.

I'm not alone in trying to focus attention on the low level of teaching. A West Coast group called DataWorks has been analyzing the work given to students since the late 1990s. In one California elementary school, DataWorks found that 2 percent of the work in the fifth grade was on grade. That's not a misprint: 98 percent of the work that students were doing was at the level of the fourth, third, second and even first grades. In South Carolina, DataWorks looked at work assigned in 14 high schools and found that most of the 12th-grade work was just below 10th grade level.

The public is largely unaware of the problem. Those who follow education, write editorials and commentaries and make policy were themselves successful students who were in the highest tracks at their high schools, and their children are also successful students enjoying the best and most experienced teachers, because they're in the AP and International Baccalaureate (IB) classes. Legislators and policymakers tend to come from a social class in which people not only have benefited from good teachers but also have fond memories of a particular teacher or teachers who turned them on to the pleasures of poetry or the intricacies of DNA.

Students in the schools we visit are not turned on. Black, brown, speaking broken or accented English, with cultural values clashing with those of the white middle class, they are seen as needing elementary instruction in secondary school; as capable only of drawing and coloring; as in need of discipline rather than encouragement. They are asked to make acrostics in middle school social studies; to write eight sentences in high school English class; and to fill out endless worksheets in math class.

Teachers say they have to teach the students where they are, which means at sixth-grade level in high school if they can't read well. Their attitude may be compassionate, but it is misguided. There's ample evidence that accelerating instruction works better than retarding it in the name of remediation. Observations made in the Dallas Unified School District show that students who score well have teachers who cover the curriculum appropriate to the grade level. These teachers spend little time on drill and practice, and don't remediate in the classroom but rather get help for students outside of class.

Too often, however, policymakers accept the teaching profession's excuses -- students' background and lack of parental support -- for student failure. Policymakers don't visit classrooms or, as we do, sit in on teacher meetings designed to help teachers reflect on their work. The experience can be profoundly depressing: In the West Coast high school, students in English classes were sleeping through movies, even in AP classes. And four of the teachers were late for class themselves.

Teachers have themselves been badly served by the educational system. Poorly trained for the most part and without subject-matter degrees at the elementary level, they are now being faced with requirements that students learn material at certain grade levels -- material that in some cases, such as elementary mathematics and science, teachers don't know themselves. Teachers have been trained to think their work is done if they have delivered the material in the textbook, kept the class from bothering the principal and assigned grades that don't fail too many students.

Their training was simply not adequate to the new demands of standards-based accountability. No wonder there's such an outcry against the accountability provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act.

But no matter how much we may sympathize with the teachers, our concern must be with the children. The most pressing need in education for kindergarten through 12th grade today is massive teacher retraining. School boards and administrators who do not act to provide it are betraying the public trust.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote