Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The fee on debit card use is in response to the new regulations on other charges.
You should expect this practice to spread to other banks...
Huh? The fee on debit card use is in response to the cap on the debit card fees banks could charge businesses. Right or wrong, BoA is just passing those costs (or, reduction of incomes) on to consumers. Durbin knew that would happen but tried to pretend that his amendment would somehow benefit small businesses. Pretty smart; now that what Durbin knew would happen actually has happened, he can play "champion of the people" and focus more hate on the banks that raise debit card fees.

But I suppose small business owners are saving some money. Until they use their own debit cards...

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
This is the latest in a long line of...

Why the fuck would anyone use a debit card?
I primarily use a debit card. I don't carry cash if I don't have to. It's easier to keep track of my purchases and see where my money goes. If I have cash in my pocket, it's much easier for me to spend for no reason. The debit card makes me think about what I'm buying. I don't have a credit card and, quite honestly, see no need for one. If I can't afford a purchase, I don't need it. So, for me at least, a debit card is a must.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Huh? The fee on debit card use is in response to the cap on the debit card fees banks could charge businesses. Right or wrong, BoA is just passing those costs (or, reduction of incomes) on to consumers. Durbin knew that would happen but tried to pretend that his amendment would somehow benefit small businesses. Pretty smart; now that what Durbin knew would happen actually has happened, he can play "champion of the people" and focus more hate on the banks that raise debit card fees.

But I suppose small business owners are saving some money. Until they use their own debit cards...
I went in to it with a vague recollection of new regulations on fees
I wrote a little sumtin
I read the pbs link
I googled Durbin
I said found two links and read them
I said "Dat wittle rascal is dee-yoosh"
I posted links
I hit submit without a care in the world.
I typed that first part
To hell with anybody who demands I delete my hard work typing.

I learned a little in the process.
I feel I've grown a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I primarily use a debit card. I don't carry cash if I don't have to. It's easier to keep track of my purchases and see where my money goes. If I have cash in my pocket, it's much easier for me to spend for no reason. The debit card makes me think about what I'm buying. I don't have a credit card and, quite honestly, see no need for one. If I can't afford a purchase, I don't need it. So, for me at least, a debit card is a must.
I use a CC for everything... pay it off every month... and will earn at least $750 this year in cash back.

Used to use a debit card... until someone got a hold of it and wiped out my account. If you're responsible, the CC is the best way to go...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #15
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I don't have a credit card and, quite honestly, see no need for one. If I can't afford a purchase, I don't need it. So, for me at least, a debit card is a must.
Sigh, the lack of logic in this statement is baffling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I use a CC for everything... pay it off every month... and will earn at least $750 this year in cash back.
Good to see common sense isn't dead.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
This is the latest in a long line of...

Why the fuck would anyone use a debit card?
I never make debit card purchases (PIN) but I make chack card purchases all the time (VISA/signature). When I first heard this story I just heard "debit" and pretty much ignored it thinking that it only applied to PIN purchases. Reading this article HERE it says that BoA will be charging for signature purchases too. My main account is at Wells Fargo who is testing a fee right now, if they implement it I will immediately close my account and go to USAA or ING who I also have accounts with and have stated that they will not be charginf fees. Ive had the same bank account since I was 12 and it pisses me off how banks treat their customers.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Keep speaking with your dollars guys.

My personal boycott list,

Nike
Netflix
Subway
Bell cellular
and soon to be my cable/internet provider.

I spend a fuck load of money, and these last couple of years I've enjoyed watching businesses fall because people are taking action. Where I choose to spend or store my money is only a drop in a bucket, but the drops add up eventually.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Sigh, the lack of logic in this statement is baffling.
How so? I get rewards for using my debit card, so I'm not missing out there. I'm in school and have a limited budget. I understand that if I had a credit card, I'd be more tempted to live outside my means and have a continuous balance on my card which negates the advantages of using a credit card as my primary means of payment. I understand my spending habits, my income, and my current debt load. In my situation, a credit card doesn't work.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post

Used to use a debit card... until someone got a hold of it and wiped out my account. If you're responsible, the CC is the best way to go...
Word.

Most of the decorations in our home, the entire guest bathroom and countless other purchases have been made possible by the redeeming of reward points.

We are staying at a posh resort for a long weekend starting tonight...paid for with reward points.

If someone gets ahold of my card and charges $19k for what sound like surface to air missles (actually happend to me), I get a new card overnighted and don't lose any spending power.

I get a concierge service, automatic car rental insurance, road side assistance and other benefits from my card.

I also get to use the credit card company's money free for over a month.

CC > DC
Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
II feel I've grown a little.
I'll need a chart for proof. Or internet poll...

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote