Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
Look into the Garmin Nuvi 260W. We picked ours up at Best Buy. We love it. It does everything we could want and more.
It's the same shit I have with a little more worthless features, it's a piece of shit. It does nothing. It has no features and has the same bad routing.

I been reading up on these like mad, the Garmins suck for features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It's the same shit I have with a little more worthless features, it's a piece of shit. It does nothing. It has no features and has the same bad routing.

I been reading up on these like mad, the Garmins suck for features.
I'm not sure what you are wanting it to do that this won't. For a GPS, it works great. It's gotten us from point A to point B just fine. If we are using it for directions and change the route due to an accident or traffic, it reroutes us using the shortest distance. It has points of intrest, which is great when you need to find the nearest gas station, atm, or even place to eat. When using it for directions it gives you your average speed, ETA to arrival, and more. As far as the interstate aviodance, that's not an issue to us. So it doesn't bother us at all.

If you want something with real time updates and traffic alerts, then you want to get into the XM Nav traffic or something along those routes.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
I'm not sure what you are wanting it to do that this won't. For a GPS, it works great. It's gotten us from point A to point B just fine. If we are using it for directions and change the route due to an accident or traffic, it reroutes us using the shortest distance. It has points of intrest, which is great when you need to find the nearest gas station, atm, or even place to eat. When using it for directions it gives you your average speed, ETA to arrival, and more. As far as the interstate aviodance, that's not an issue to us. So it doesn't bother us at all.

If you want something with real time updates and traffic alerts, then you want to get into the XM Nav traffic or something along those routes.
It doesn't have interstate avoidance, it doesn't have route planning where you can store routes on it, it doesn't have alternative routes (this is when you enter a POI it comes up with a route, on a tom tom you can request and entirely different route, well unless you count that really crappy detour feature which you can only use on the fly), it doesn't route well at all.

All the features you named are standard for every gps I have ever used and not something special.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
It doesn't have interstate avoidance, it doesn't have route planning where you can store routes on it, it doesn't have alternative routes (this is when you enter a POI it comes up with a route, on a tom tom you can request and entirely different route, well unless you count that really crappy detour feature which you can only use on the fly), it doesn't route well at all.

All the features you named are standard for every gps I have ever used and not something special.

I have Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop that I carry with me. It does everything you seem to want...but you have to carry a laptop.

I am guessing that you are not going to get what you want for what you want to pay

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
I have Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop that I carry with me. It does everything you seem to want...but you have to carry a laptop.

I am guessing that you are not going to get what you want for what you want to pay
I was wanting one I could mount on my bike without paying the price of a zumo or a rider.

I can get the features I want for the price I want to pay from a Tom Tom, I just didn't want a Tom Tom. I wanted a Garmin.

I just spoke with Garmin and they basically said to buy the 700 series and then I would still have to live without interstate avoidance because they don't offer it at all on any of their units and the alternative route feature doesn't exist either in their products.

Looks like I am going Tom Tom hunting.
Quote:
Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

I use my Gamin every day for work and love it. Its great when your in a town 10 hours from home and want to go gets some food or find a hotel. I'm pretty sure they did not think people would want to avoid these things when it was designed. Motorcyclist are not the norm dude they don't make products for just us.

If they put highway avoidance on their product they would need a support line just for taking old lady calls that put it in that mode by mistake. I'm sure that you can understand not wanting to answer a million and one calls from people that have a Garmin that will not use the highway.

Your sport of avoiding the highway is not normal, get over it. The product does what it was designed to do very well.

My wife is messing with the one she got for Christmas as we speak, I bought it for her because she hated the one she bought cheap some place else.

I have a C530 and my wife has the C550 With blue tooth, MP3 player and FM,XM traffic.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

As I said my wife is messing with hers right now and it can avoid Highways.

Touch the Wrench icon.
Touch Navigation icon.
Touch the Avoidances icon.
Put a check mark on Highway.
Click OK as you exit the screen.

This was on the C530 and C550.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
I use my Gamin every day for work and love it. Its great when your in a town 10 hours from home and want to go gets some food or find a hotel. I'm pretty sure they did not think people would want to avoid these things when it was designed. Motorcyclist are not the norm dude they don't make products for just us.

If they put highway avoidance on their product they would need a support line just for taking old lady calls that put it in that mode by mistake. I'm sure that you can understand not wanting to answer a million and one calls from people that have a Garmin that will not use the highway.

Your sport of avoiding the highway is not normal, get over it. The product does what it was designed to do very well.

My wife is messing with the one she got for Christmas as we speak, I bought it for her because she hated the one she bought cheap some place else.

I have a C530 and my wife has the C550 With blue tooth, MP3 player and FM,XM traffic.

Quote:
As I said my wife is messing with hers right now and it can avoid Highways.

Touch the Wrench icon.
Touch Navigation icon.
Touch the Avoidances icon.
Put a check mark on Highway.
Click OK as you exit the screen.

This was on the C530 and C550.
Do you just gloss over the point I made about routing poorly? It doesn't route well, the routes it chooses in large cities like Atlanta and New Orleans that I know well have been terrible routes.

You just need to reread this entire thread. Highways doesn't just include interstates, it includes all numbered routes and if it can't use a nonnumbered road, it will default back to the interstate. Since all the fun roads are numbered, it bypasses them.

Other companies have both interstate and highway avoidance seperated, but Garmin does not have this option.
Quote:
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #19
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Do you just gloss over the point I made about it not being made for motorcycles. Its made for the masses. As a motorcyclist you not the masses.

It does what it was made to do and does it well. You said in your post you wanted one you could use on a motorcycle but did not want to buy one made for motorcycles. Well that just dumb isn't it.

That would be like me pissing and crying about the BF Goodrich I just bought not working well on my RC51.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #20
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
Do you just gloss over the point I made about it not being made for motorcycles. Its made for the masses. As a motorcyclist you not the masses.

It does what it was made to do and does it well. You said in your post you wanted one you could use on a motorcycle but did not want to buy one made for motorcycles. Well that just dumb isn't it.

That would be like me pissing and crying about the BF Goodrich I just bought not working well on my RC51.
How is routing in a big city just for a motorcyclist?

The Zumo has the same lack of features and it is a garmin that is made for a motorcycle. As I said in an earlier post I called Garmin to ask about the lack of features.

Now if you don't have any other brands that you can tell me about what features they offer, go fucking sit and the corner and play with your fucking garmin, fan boy.

Obviously if other companies are putting these features in that I am use to, these aren't just a concern for motorcyclists. They are wanted, Garmin just doesn't do it.
Quote: