Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #11
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
If it were me, instead of going straight down the middle of Florida and returning the same way, I'd go down one coast and return up the other side.
Plan on doing that, just did this as a rough draft.

I actually hope to have a friend ride with me down to Key West and then he will return to Atlanta. He just picked up a bike and since I don't want him quitting his job to go on my epic adventure, he might take a long weekend.

Can you guys give me any good ideas on places to hit up or avoid while traveling the dreaded central us? I know the road will be boring but if nothing else I will just want to hurry up and get through it.

I intend to avoid highways as often as possible.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I've been planning a similar trip for a long time. 48 states in 7 days!

I have a suggestion or two for you though.

Find a different route east to west than I-70. BORING.

Secondly, *when* are you planning on doing this trip? The Haul Road (north of Fairbanks) is barely passable in the heat of the summer. It's not really *paved*, they just call it that. It's overlaid with gravel every year, but because of the permafrost, yeah. You can do the math. In the summer, the high in Prudhoe Bay/Barrow is generally 32 degrees. Are you prepared gear-wise for a trip like that? Heated gear? Also, bear in mind that riding your bike up that 400ish mile stretch of road will do alot of damage. Be prepared for that. You also will want a buddy along on that stretch of road. It's pretty difficult and definitely not one to do by yourself. If something happens, you're stuck. There's very little traffic up there, and a wrecker will cost you $5 per mile if you have to call one. Oh yeah, be sure you rent a satellite phone, as there aren't cell towers up there, so your cell phone will be useless. Do you have 280 miles of fuel range? Once you leave Fairbanks, the first services are 280 miles north. You'll need to take fuel with you.

Basically, what I'm saying is alot more research is necessary before just saying *I want to ride to Barrow.* I've done it, as I fully intend to ride up there one day in the near future.

You might want to start googling the Haul Road, Prudhoe Bay, etc. to get info. Also, if you go to the bookstore, you'll find a book in the Travel section called "The Milepost". It's sole purpose is to detail road conditions and services each year on all of Alaska's roads.

Yeah, you are a little crazy. I am too, but I've been accused of that for a long time and I fully embrace the craziness.
Thanks for your post, as this idea comes into play I might be needing a TON of long distance advice.

I have read through parts of the milepost before but this trip justifies owning my own copy. I am still looking at various tank/tail/saddle bags but I am hoping of rigging something up so that I can carry and extra gas with me.

I have a friend that will be driving up to Talkeetna this summer so if all fails, I could save the Prudhoe bay trip for mid summer.

I was hoping to arrive in Alaska in late April. My job starts early May I think.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Find a different route east to west than I-70. BORING.

Is there really any interesting highway route to take through the central U.S.? Detour all the way up to 90 or 94, maybe?
unknownroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
thunderex
Kneedragger

Moto: 2004 Aprilia Tuono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Thanks for your post, as this idea comes into play I might be needing a TON of long distance advice.

I have read through parts of the milepost before but this trip justifies owning my own copy. I am still looking at various tank/tail/saddle bags but I am hoping of rigging something up so that I can carry and extra gas with me.

I have a friend that will be driving up to Talkeetna this summer so if all fails, I could save the Prudhoe bay trip for mid summer.

I was hoping to arrive in Alaska in late April. My job starts early May I think.
Tracy's the man to listen to on long trips. His trips were well-known on Cycleforums.
thunderex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderex View Post
Tracy's the man to listen to on long trips. His trips were well-known on Cycleforums.
ping Kaneman too....

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
SoFlaSV
Guinness Bitches...

Moto: '00 SV650

Looks like fun.
SoFlaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Can you guys give me any good ideas on places to hit up or avoid while traveling the dreaded central us? I know the road will be boring but if nothing else I will just want to hurry up and get through it.

I intend to avoid highways as often as possible.
The ride further up north across South Dakota and Wyoming ain't bad. The Black Hills help to break it up. It's definitely better than I-70 across KS or (way further south) I-10 across TX.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah I'd say go up to South Dakota... the first part is boring... but you'll hit the black hills long before you'd hit any intresting roads going across Kansas or Nebraska.

as for the milepost... I've got a new one if you want it... I'm driving down from AK in Feb... actually I leave in 16 days. I'll give ya the book when I get down to mississippi... just remind me...

as for the haul road... I don't think you still need permission to go all the way up... the friend of mine that was run off the road and had several flats... made it all the way up and I don't think he'd asked anyone for permission... but for sure...

and like G-rex says... don't even think about attempting that road on your own... honestly... I'd be a little wary about riding up to AK on your own if you've never done long trips by yourself first.

I would plan on stopping in Seattle and having a full service done on your bike... make sure all the fluids are topped off... your chain and sprocket are new... brakes are good... ect... cause you will not find that in northern CA... and even in AK it can be tough... Anchorage has a 4 motorcycle shops... I imagine Fairbanks has less... if they don't have a part... your stuck for a while...

But on that note... I'd plan on doing the same thing once you get to fair banks... replacing everything that's "consumable" up and back is a long ass haul and as tough as it is on your bike it's probably like riding it twice as far on normal paved roads... in terms of stress on the bike and parts.

I'm right there with G-Rex... I feel your craziness... just wish I could ride with ya...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #19
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

If you take I-70 and I-25 in Colorado, you miss 100 percent of the twisty roads and 95 percent of the scenery. By the time you ride through Kansas, your tires will be so squared off you won't be able to do any twisties anyway. I would just ship the bike to Denver, ride up to Mount Rushmore, and go west to Seattle. I would then take the ferry to Alaska. Then I would come back to Seattle, take the coast down to southern CA, over to central Arizona, Grand Canyon, Utah, southwest CO, and back to Denver.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

the ferry sucks though... I took it when I move from Cal to AK
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote