Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Um yeah, people send attachments constantly. Internal, external, clients, etc......It's not my choice. A lot of it is internal corporate BS announcements, and a lot of it is inter-client communication. Not sure what else to say. A single Powerpoint could be 5-6 MB.

And you say "storage costs add up quick"........For a company like this with 10,000 employees, multiply that by 200 mb and the result is only 2,000 gigs. I could go to Staples and buy that much capacity for only a few hundred bucks. Granted, a business is not going to use a common consumer HD for a server, but I still don't understand why it's a big deal. How many servers would possibly be required?

Lets say you bought 2000gigs and shoved it all in a server.
Well...they don't sell a lot 2tb drives so you'll probably need to buy a couple of 1tb or a bunch of 500gb.

What happens if the drive fails?
Well guess you have to come up with a solution that provides a level of safety...so you set up a raid array.
Lets say you go simple (mirroring...which you wont you go full hog raid level 5 and up) so now your 2000gb became 4000gb.

Well that's great....now what if the sever fails?
Well I guess you got buy another server as a failover box...
So now you have another 4000gb plus the cost of a server
Total: 8000gb

Wait...what if something happens to the server room?
You better have a contigency site.
Another 2 servers.....

Your up to 16,000 gb

Don't forget to have some spares lying around for quick swaps
(your up to 32,000gb )

32 TBs

I could go on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer

Last edited by pauldun170; 07-28-2009 at 05:09 PM..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
I'm no techie, but I don't understand how....
Then why are you rebutting almost everything that we (who work in the field) suggest as reasons? You must get off on being obstinate. You ask a question about something you admittedly may not understand and then want to argue with us on our answers. Troll.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Dear Mr. Slice,

We have received several inter-office e-mails, from Mr. Lee and Mr. Dun in the IT Dept.

It would seem that despite our strong suggestion that you get your slacker ass back to work, you are continuing to harass our IT staff, on the subject of e-mail storage, despite having no knowledge of how our servers are set up.

Mr. Slice, we have tried to accommodate your requests in the past. Please remember that Blamo Corp. declared July 14th., "Menudo Day" after constant e-mail barrages from your cubicle. We also installed gluten-free toilet paper in third floor men's room at your request, and lowered the watercooler temperature to 36.5 degrees, to suit the needs of your "delicate stomach".

Frankly, you have become a distraction here at Blamo Corp. The staff is fed up with your constant whining, and most of them hate Menudo.

Please refrain from any further harassment of our IT Dept.

We're watching you.

Blamo Corp. Management.

cc: JC
Old 07-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

We have 40MB limits at my work(for approximately 13000 users)

Create a personal folder on your network share(if you have one) or the hard drive, and back it up to CD once a month.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
I'm not one, but I have a question for you: In this modern era where I can go to Staples and buy a 16GB usb for only $20, why do you need to put a 200MB size limit on your company's email accts? I am calling BS on my employer's claim that it would cost too much to increase it.
For just one person using their e-mail for personal use, it doesn't make sense... multiply that by hundreds and in some cases thousands of employees and that is a lot.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Slowpoke
Kneedragger

Moto: F650GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Create a personal folder on your network share(if you have one) or the hard drive, and back it up to CD once a month.
That is the best solution, but you definately need to keep it backed up. Too many times have I had a user lose their desktop hard drive and *poof* goes their hard work.

By they way, space is getting cheaper and cheaper. Was at MicroCenter today and saw a 2Tb drive for $229, not sure on the speed, but very cheap and for a smaller type company a great way to expand for a quick fix.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #17
pauldun170
Serious Business

At work, I keep important historical stuff in PST's, Important attachments on the shared drive (also important emails that should be available to others).

PST are by year and at the end of each year I bring a copy of that PST home.

For my personal email, also using outlook I use the following
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Backs up everything to a seperate drive.

In your case, you may want to consider setting up some outlook rules to help you deal with the volume of email you get.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
pauldun170
Serious Business

Oh almost forgot....

Homeslice, now that we are up to 32Tb from your original 2tb estimate.
We need to back that up somewhere and retain it.

damn this is getting pricey

Quote:
Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Lets say you bought 2000gigs and shoved it all in a server.
Well...they don't sell a lot 2tb drives so you'll probably need to buy a couple of 1tb or a bunch of 500gb.

What happens if the drive fails?
Well guess you have to come up with a solution that provides a level of safety...so you set up a raid array.
Lets say you go simple (mirroring...which you wont you go full hog raid level 5 and up) so now your 2000gb became 4000gb.

Well that's great....now what if the sever fails?
Well I guess you got buy another server as a failover box...
So now you have another 4000gb plus the cost of a server
Total: 8000gb

Wait...what if something happens to the server room?
You better have a contigency site.
Another 2 servers.....

Your up to 16,000 gb

Don't forget to have some spares lying around for quick swaps
(your up to 32,000gb )

32 TBs

I could go on...
And if I look at Slowpoke's post, where he saw a 2TB server for only $229, multiply that by 16 to get 32TB and you're at only $3,664. Now, maybe those are slow, cheap-crap servers, I don't know........So, let's exagerate a bit and say that my company would need to spend 100 times that amount in order to get top-quality equipment. That's still only $366,400, which is pocket change to my company. So what's the problem again? Sure doesn't sound like hardware costs are the problem to me. Bandwidth costs, real estate, power & maintenance costs are probably a better argument, in my uneducated opinion.

Last edited by Homeslice; 07-28-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
And if I look at Slowpoke's post, where he saw a 2TB server for only $229, multiply that by 16 to get 32TB and you're at only $3,664. Now, maybe those are slow, cheap-crap servers, I don't know........So, let's exagerate a bit and say that my company would need to spend 100 times that amount in order to get top-quality equipment. That's still only $366,400, which is pocket change to my company. So what's the problem again? Sure doesn't sound like hardware costs are the problem to me. Bandwidth costs, real estate, power & maintenance costs are probably a better argument, in my uneducated opinion.
I'm in a good mood so I'll give you a few hints

You are starting with 10,000 users at 200mb per mail box.

* 1 processor core for every 1,000 light/medium user mailboxes
* 1 processor core for every 500 heavy user mailboxes
* 8 cores maximum

(do the math)

Memory
* 2GB : 2 to 5MB/mailbox (I wonder what it is for a 200mb mailbox?)
* 32GB maximum recommended (point of diminishing returns in terms of both cost and performance)
* The minimum memory required also depends on the number of storage groups:
(10,000 users....hmmm bet ya got a lot groups)

that's just cpu and memory....

Something tells me your server budget needs to go up.

I'm sure somebody on here has Exchange experience and give you a proper estimate based on 10,000 users @ 200mb as well as your proposed 10,000 at 2GB.

Considering that mailbox size is just a portion of the storage cost....

Quote:
uneducated opinion
An uneducated opinion is another way of saying ingnorance and your continued yapping means....

Well...I'll stop for now. I know you have back issues of In Style magazine to finish up and I don't want to hold you up

Quote: