Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Thats the thing man, its bad. We know that. It large amounts its deadly. We dont disagree.

So dont eat it in large amounts. If you choose wisely, fine and good. But for the people who dont, fuck em. Its not like we havent known soda is bad for over 20 years now. Its still the best selling drink in the world, so fuck them. Thwy know better and dont care, fuck them.

You bitch for the legalization of marijauna, saying you dont need uncle to look out for you. Then you want HFCS banned, because uncle needs to look out for you more.
I see your point, and I would argue that perhaps we need to take a more even approach here. You can't portend to protect, and not do so completely, lest you lull people into a false sense of security, because you offered them protection, and they entrusted their lives to you.

Either the government has to stop regulating Foods and Drugs, or they have to regulate it more fairly, and totally, lest some (read: most) folks get screwed.

Your whole attitude is one of "hey, we get it, we eat good - those who don't care, fuck 'em". Well, that's fine, I suppose, if the underlying understanding is, in fact, caveat emptor...but the USA has given us the FDA, and the Food Pyramid, and an RDA of vitamins and minerals, and suggested to everyone that the things in the food supply are safe to eat.

It would appear that HFCS helps flip the "fat switch", metabolically speaking. That makes it rather bad. I'd say easily as harmful as Sodium Cyclamate, which the FDA pulled, even though the entire known world uses it to sweeten their beverages with no apparent ill effects.

400 people every year die from Acetaminophen (Tylenol), but only a few died from Ephedra, and that got pulled.

The fact is, it's all about money. Not your health, not mine.

If the FDA is to continue, then this needs to be fixed. Fake regulation in the name of profit is not what we need.

Either let's regulate things according to safety, or it's caveat emptor...but not this. This is bullshit.

Got it now?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I watch what I eat. I read labels. If the FDA can take Sodium Cyclamate off the market, they can do the same with HFCS. Otherwise, why have an FDA, if not to protect the public at large?

What you reading comprehension impaired granola eaters are missing, is that I ALREADY GET IT. I DON'T NEED ANYONE TO PROTECT ME. I READ LABELS.

BUT, if you are going to have an agency to protect the health of Americans, THEN IT SHOULD FUCKING DO THAT.

THIS SHIT IS BAD FOR YOU, AND SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HUMAN FOOD SUPPLY.

What is so hard to understand about that?

Ok...by that logic...let's get rid of cigarettes while we're at it.

They're HORRIBLE for you and EVERYONE with a brain in their head knows it.

You can walk into any convenience store in the country and buy cigarettes by the carton...where is the outrage over that Avatard? What EXACTLY is the difference?

The fact is, there is NO difference. It's a harmful product and people CHOOSE to consume it. Hell, a pack of cigarettes has a label essentially saying "consuming this product will kill you" and dumb fuckers STILL smoke them hand over fist.

No amount of Government "protection" is going to protect you from YOURSELF if you are unwilling to assume responsibility for protecting yourself.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Ok...by that logic...let's get rid of cigarettes while we're at it.

They're HORRIBLE for you and EVERYONE with a brain in their head knows it.

You can walk into any convenience store in the country and buy cigarettes by the carton...where is the outrage over that Avatard? What EXACTLY is the difference?
Labeling. Ever read the side of a pack of smokes?

I'll bite: Let's put a black box warning on all products with HFCS, ok?

Then people can make an informed purchase/use decision.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

If anyone watched the video I posted, he shows that fructose is the culprit here.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

I wouldn't say I left it out. I essentially agreed with it.

Labeling. People can then choose to do what they want.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Sean
giggity

Speaking of HFCS, you can buy kosher Coke this month--it's sweetened with sugar instead of HFCS. Has a green cap. And yes, it's still bad for you.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Damn, all this arguing when it's really quite simple (and I've already said it). It's basically laziness on the part of most people. Too lazy to work out. Too lazy to look at a label, too lazy to cook right, too lazy to care. They just figure it's too much work and they don't care about being healthy.

Should we institute a junk food tax so poor people will eat healthy? We all know that won't work as has been proven by the high taxes on cigs. People still smoke (even poor people) because they WANT to. Just like they WANT to eat junk. It tastes good and they love it.

Yes, HFCS causes obesity, but so does sugar and sitting on your ass doing nothing. We have gone from a society of manual labor to a society of cube farm rats. We NEED to exercise because we don't get the exercise we previously got from working.

Most fat people simply don't care and don't even try. They bitch that they're fat, but sit down at the buffet and stuff they're faces. They want someone to do everything for them. This is what we need to cure.

Our society has grown into a bunch of lazy fucks who want someone to do everything for them. They want the government to monitor this, or ban that. Here's an idea...you don't like something, don't fucking use it. If something makes you fat, don't eat or drink it. If something makes you cough, don't be around it. Take some fucking personal responsibility, but don't bitch about it until you've done everything you can to fix the situation. If people start picking foods without HFCS, manufacturers will quit using it. But people are lazy and don't fucking care. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
How did you measure this 14 and 20% body fat?

Buy an impedance BF meter and in the AM on an empty stomach w/o clothes measure your body fat %.
I have an impedance-style scale. Yes, I know they aren't all that accurate, but I use the same one and measure myself at the same time of day with same standards as you had listed. Maybe my % aren't exactly what it says, but it will show a trend, which is all I was really trying to point out and all I'm really looking for. If I want a truly accurate body fat measurement, I'll spend the money to get dipped in a tank, but it's not all that important to me as I'm not competing in anything.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
But you would be wrong, because the government subsidizes the growth of corn. There's a reason why they're trying to shove it into every fucking orifice we have, they have shitloads of the crap.
Yes there is lots of it.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
If people start picking foods without HFCS, manufacturers will quit using it. But people are lazy and don't fucking care. Period.
It's how a free market works.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Sean
giggity

The source of the problem is massive government subsidies on corn, making corn products cheap as hell. That's what allows them to put HFCS in damn near everything. The problem is not a nutritional one so much as a financial one.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Thank you. No more calls, please...we have a winner.