Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #201
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

WTF are all you people arguing about? Tips are a performance-based wage. If you do good, you get more pay. Who would argue against that? Would you prefer that lousy waiters got the same pay as good ones?

And why are people focusing on the $2/hr?.......When tips are included, you can make $40-50/hr at the right places.

You guys don't want to tip, then go someplace where you have to pick up your food at the counter.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #202
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
WTF are all you people arguing about? Tips are a performance-based wage. If you do good, you get more pay. Who would argue against that? Would you prefer that lousy waiters get the same pay as good ones?
thats not always the case though. good prompt service should be a given in a restaurant. So some look at it as why should I tip for what should be done anyway.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #203
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Tommy can't even catch my pug, I don't think he can hurt a bear.
When you're that big, a pug is an awful long way down

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #204
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
When you're that big, a pug is an awful long way down
That and gina would have been upset if I just squashed him
Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #205
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
thats not always the case though. good prompt service should be a given in a restaurant. So some look at it as why should I tip for what should be done anyway.

Tom
Well that's kind of the point, without the tip system good, prompt service will NOT be the given in any restaurant because you will have minimum wage employees who make the same whether or not you get good service.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #206
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Well that's kind of the point, without the tip system good, prompt service will NOT be the given in any restaurant because you will have minimum wage employees who make the same whether or not you get good service.
Thats a good point, tips does stand for To Insure Proper Service. I think a lot of jobs should be performance based anyway but in the case of servers it doesnt always hold up when you get people who dont tip.

Tom
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #207
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
But the assumption that a tip is a given does nothing to reinforce that level of service. Far too many people expect what is not their due, these days.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #208
shmike
Follower

Quote:
But the assumption that a tip is a given does nothing to reinforce that level of service. Far too many people expect what is not their due, these days.

True.

And unfortunately, far too many give a [generous] tip because it is expected rather than as a reflection of service which prepetuates the cycle.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #209
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
I never said it did. Tips are completely performance based. Do a crappy job get a crappy tip...do a really crappy job and get no tip. Do an exceptional job that really improves a customer's night and get 20% +.

My argument is that it is a great system that allows for quality servers who strive to do a good job and earn their money. When I'm throwing $40 + down for a meal for my wife and I the service is almost as important as the food, it needs to be stellar and I'm happy to tip well when it is.

When the service is bad it puts a real damper on everything else. If, as some are suggesting, we were to do away with the tip system and make servers salaried employees the level of service would go way down to the point that people (like myself) would just stop going out to eat.

Its not about, "Well if you don't like not getting tipped get a different job", that's complete bullshit. The world needs servers and the task they perform. Going out to eat, for me, is something to look forward to, something that brings joy and something fun...and that's not something to be pissed away because some people are too cheap to leave a tip because, "they don't agree with the system."

You would pay MORE for your meal after all was said and done without the tip system. At least this way someone is striving to really earn that cash. And if they don't....well they don't get it. Performance based systems are beautiful.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #210
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Am I speaking English?

Time after time on this forum people choose to read what they want to read. They choose to hear what they want to hear. And they'll beat that dead horse into the ground because they want to.

I feel like that kid in the freakout video and if I see a remote in the next 5 seconds I'm going to try and shove it up my ass.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote