Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 12-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #21
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
WOW- H1, No Worries, thanks for all the info! I just emailed dad the links. I'll let you know when he signs up. We were running errands today and looked a few places for a Haynes or Clymers manual- couldn't find one, but I'll check a few dealers tomorrow.

The guy he's getting it from doesn't seem to know much about it. Good guy, but it sounds like he got some misinformation. He says he cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, and that it was run on the street not too long ago. Problem is, he said it's a four-stroke, and it sounds like the carbs are all out of whack, and the petcock may leak. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the thing firsthand yet. Apparently, the title only says it's a 1975 Kawasaki 500. I've told dad the first thing we need to do is replace the tubes, tires, and brake lines, and rebuild/synch the carbs.

I'm looking forward to riding this thing. It'll mostly be used as a commuter, so that 78mpg sounds great, and the 60hp and 42ft-lbs sounds frightening with skinny tires and old components.
Both the Haynes and the Clymer have some mistakes in them. He can download the Glenn's manual off the resource link. That has both general maintence and performance tips in it. Best book you could buy and you can download it for free.

Where did the 78mpg come from? You'll get 30 or so if your lucky. These were made for mileage, they were made to kick ass.

Quote:
"High bars" to me are like the stockers on my 650R. It probably has the stock bars on it still. I'm sure I'd go to superbike bars or clipons, but it's dad's bike, so whatever he's comfortable with. As long as he's safe, fine with me.
Superbike bars are the way to go. Just slightly lower than stock and they help keep the front end down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
I hate high handlebars. lower ones look and feel much better.

On a side note, I have a friend selling a complete GT750triple motor and some misc parts for one here local to me if anyone is interested in it. I'll even crate it and handle the shipping if you're wanting it enough.
If you give a description and some type of contact info, I'll post it up on the triple forum.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

looks like a ton of fun (both to ride and wrench on)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
looks like a ton of fun (both to ride and wrench on)
Parts are fairly easy to get ( some are still available from kawasaki ) and the bikes are a ton of fun too.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
If you give a description and some type of contact info, I'll post it up on the triple forum.

Jeff
I just sent you a PM about it. next time I'm over there I'll take some time and photograph the engine if I remember my camera.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #25
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default Next Question

Anyone know where to find keys for really old bikes? Got one with the triple, but it would be really nice to have a spare. We've checked some dealers, and Kawi discontinued most of the '75 parts in '90. Can't find a blank anywhere. May end up having a locksmith grind a riding lawnmower key to fit
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Good point here, the H1 is a triple, and has a fairly large amount of running gear on it, making it heavier. the RD I rode is literally bare essentials, no fender on the front, minimalist gauges(tach only) and its RETARDEDLY light. something like 250 pounds or so at most, cause me and my buddy can pick it up from each end by ourselves and carry it.
The RD250 & 350 weigh in at about 310. Stripped for racing they come in around 285 lb's wet. My Rd's that I raced would make about 50 HP (avg, about 65 when cool). They are small, light and fast. They can make for a pretty exciting ride, but they do require a lot of concentration to ride fast.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #27
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I got a buddy who swears his RD weighs in at around 200 or less. how credible that is without a scale to verify though is very questionable.

They certainly do require concentration to be quick on, no doubt from the time I've spent on my friend's old one.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Anyone know where to find keys for really old bikes? Got one with the triple, but it would be really nice to have a spare. We've checked some dealers, and Kawi discontinued most of the '75 parts in '90. Can't find a blank anywhere. May end up having a locksmith grind a riding lawnmower key to fit
What key number do you need? If it's 911 or 919, prepare to dig very deep in your pocket for a NOS key.

If you just want a copy, blanks are easy to get.

If you don't want to post the key number, PM me and I'll help you out.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #29
was92v
Nowhere Man

Quote:
I got a buddy who swears his RD weighs in at around 200 or less. how credible that is without a scale to verify though is very questionable.

They certainly do require concentration to be quick on, no doubt from the time I've spent on my friend's old one.
200 lbs! What is it with the engine and forks installed?

They are light enough to weigh on bathroom scales. Just weight the front, then the rear and add the numbers. It will be close enough.

Last edited by was92v; 05-14-2010 at 07:24 PM..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
What key number do you need? If it's 911 or 919, prepare to dig very deep in your pocket for a NOS key.

If you just want a copy, blanks are easy to get.

If you don't want to post the key number, PM me and I'll help you out.

Jeff
I just need a copy. Thought you had to go to a dealer for a blank. But this thing looks close enough to a lawnmower key