Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
There you go! James is volunteering!
Id let him lol. Refinishing it would be great, but I personally would just find someone to do it if youre going that route. Refinishing hardwood is not an easy, clean or fun job.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
There you go! James is volunteering!

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post

James
So what time should I expect you
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

couldn't resist

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #25
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
What about cats since we have 4 of them?
Not a problem. I redid the hardwood floors in my previous house ( random width floors , the house was built in 1874 ) and finished them with polyurethane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Id let him lol. Refinishing it would be great, but I personally would just find someone to do it if youre going that route. Refinishing hardwood is not an easy, clean or fun job.
But the satisfaction of doing it yourself can't be beat.

I borrowed my friend drum sander ( it was his grandfather's and weighed over 200 lbs ). The main key to sand with the grain and ALWAYS keep the sander moving. It will want to pull forward, so you just hold it back and steer. As you come to the end, you lift up to "feather out". By the same token, when you start, you move slightly forward as you GENTLY set it down.

The ends where you can't use the drum sander will be done with either a smaller handheld belt sander, a circular sander ( only use the portion of the sanding disk where rotation matches grain direction ) or a hand held orbital sander.

I used cloth backed abrasives ( sand paper ) as in my old house, there were literally hundreds of nails that were close to the surface. Cloth backed abrasives literally sanded them smooth ( and made cool spark patterns ). you sand with rough, medium and then smooth grits. ( the higher the number the finer the abrasive)

Then sweep the area and use a tack cloth to get the smallest particles. then apply a few coats of whatever finish you're putting down.

It is loud and dirty. Hang plastic in the hallway and a box fan blowing out would be a good idea too. Ear plugs, safety glasses and a dusk mask are highly recommended too.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Not a problem. I redid the hardwood floors in my previous house ( random width floors , the house was built in 1874 ) and finished them with polyurethane.

But the satisfaction of doing it yourself can't be beat.

I borrowed my friend drum sander ( it was his grandfather's and weighed over 200 lbs ). The main key to sand with the grain and ALWAYS keep the sander moving. It will want to pull forward, so you just hold it back and steer. As you come to the end, you lift up to "feather out". By the same token, when you start, you move slightly forward as you GENTLY set it down.

The ends where you can't use the drum sander will be done with either a smaller handheld belt sander, a circular sander ( only use the portion of the sanding disk where rotation matches grain direction ) or a hand held orbital sander.

I used cloth backed abrasives ( sand paper ) as in my old house, there were literally hundreds of nails that were close to the surface. Cloth backed abrasives literally sanded them smooth ( and made cool spark patterns ). you sand with rough, medium and then smooth grits. ( the higher the number the finer the abrasive)

Then sweep the area and use a tack cloth to get the smallest particles. then apply a few coats of whatever finish you're putting down.

It is loud and dirty. Hang plastic in the hallway and a box fan blowing out would be a good idea too. Ear plugs, safety glasses and a dusk mask are highly recommended too.

Jeff
All very good advice. Also along with the hold back and steer, dont pull too far back. Youll need to try to keep the sander as level as possible since hardwood floors do gouge easily if youre not careful.

Its all very doable, just dont rush anything and make sure to pay attention to details and it can turn out great.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #27
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

Go to HGTV.COM and look up refinishing/painting floors...I've seen some really cool paint jobs on floors...kinda like painting paneling, it's being done more often. The only issue I've seen with pergo/bamboo/lock together flooring is if an animal has an accident it gets between the boards and stains them badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #28
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

yes she should shave, next questions

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #29
snobuny
Kneedragger

Moto: 01 kawa 600R, 03 636 track, yz250motard

If you like the distresses look just pull the staples, clean and wax it well and see how it looks. We did this in our old house that was built the 20's when we were young and poor. It looked awesome and cost nothing.

New house we pulled up carpet and all we found was plywood.....they just don't build them like they use to.
snobuny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobuny View Post
New house we pulled up carpet and all we found was plywood.....they just don't build them like they use to.
When I put my coal insert in my fireplace, I wanted to place tileon the floor. When I pulled the carpet and cut thru the plywood, I found hardwood floors.

I needed a sturdy base for the tile so a lower sub floor was required.

'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote