Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #21
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

It could've been anyone that hit him and I think that age is not commensurate with experience in cases like this.

I have less than a year on the track and I'm 34.

Obviously a terrible incident for all involved and my heart goes out to everyone in this scenario.

There are a few kids at the track I usually go to and they are all great. Off the track, they're typical kids. On the track....they kick a lot of people's butts!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

so a 58 year old tries to avoid a wreck and crashes himself, then while getting up he gets hit by a 12 yr old. what's the issue with the 12 yr old on the track? I wonder if the 12 yr old had been in front of the 58 would the old dude be dead? 12er prolly would have had the reaction time to avoid the wreck (yes I'm assuming) and then the 58er could have crashed himself (as he did) and hopefully gotten up and walked off without crashing anyone else.

I'm getting up there in the years and my only question in this one would be should a 58 year old man be out there. when you go to bike races it's not old guys sitting around those fancy race bikes. it's 16- 20 yr olds usually.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #23
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
so a 58 year old tries to avoid a wreck and crashes himself, then while getting up he gets hit by a 12 yr old. what's the issue with the 12 yr old on the track? I wonder if the 12 yr old had been in front of the 58 would the old dude be dead? 12er prolly would have had the reaction time to avoid the wreck (yes I'm assuming) and then the 58er could have crashed himself (as he did) and hopefully gotten up and walked off without crashing anyone else.

I'm getting up there in the years and my only question in this one would be should a 58 year old man be out there. when you go to bike races it's not old guys sitting around those fancy race bikes. it's 16- 20 yr olds usually.
Very valid points.

I hope the kid is able to get through this ok.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post

Gette was 38 not 58.

I've seen people in their 70's on the track. Mind you that's a track and not a race situation.

I hope to be still out there.

And there aren't that many old guys (though they're still out there) because they end up persuing other things like kids and a family. Few have the financial inclination to carry on racing for a long time. It's not exactly cheap when you're a privateer.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #25
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

That turn is right before oak tree. Usually a point that a large group can gather because of someone slow in front with a bunch of fast rider/drivers behind jockeying for position. Case in point-this is corner 14. See how we are all bunched together. NO it wasn't me being the slow azz.

VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #26
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Gette was 38 not 58.

I've seen people in their 70's on the track. Mind you that's a track and not a race situation.

And there aren't that many old guys (though they're still out there) because they end up persuing other things like kids and a family. Few have the financial inclination to carry on racing for a long time. It's not exactly cheap when you're a privateer.
Yep he was 38...the track is located off of Hwy 58.

I agree with the rest too...58 isn't too old...just depends on the individual.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #27
Clay
I know nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
That turn is right before oak tree. Usually a point that a large group can gather because of someone slow in front with a bunch of fast rider/drivers behind jockeying for position. Case in point-this is corner 14. See how we are all bunched together. NO it wasn't me being the slow azz.
That's the full course, not the North. Motorcycles only race (not trackdays, RACE) the North. The oak tree is not a part of the North course. As soon as you go under the bridge you turn right and head up the hill.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #28
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
That's the full course, not the North. Motorcycles only race (not trackdays, RACE) the North. The oak tree is not a part of the North course. As soon as you go under the bridge you turn right and head up the hill.
Oh-Sorry about the confusion then. Can you find the MC course and post up a pic? EDIT; found one

Last edited by VatorMan; 08-10-2010 at 11:26 AM..
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #29
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
A 125 with a fast kid will turn faster lap times than the fastest SVs. I watched my son out pull many SVs last year. They're fine in the same class. How about people stop looking for blame and simply see it as it is... a racing incident.

And btw, this was a 3-rider incident. Not 2.
I was simply putting an alternate view at it - if they are going to argue about a 12-year-old being able to avoid/decide/whatever why not look at the major differences in machinery. That's all.

I don't think age matters. I think experience matters. This 12-year-old may just have more racing experience than the others on the grid.... I hope he makes it through this incident alright.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Gette was 38 not 58.

Told you I was getting up there in years. LOL either way the point of my statement was young guns are the ones we need out there.

I hope to be out tearing shit up when I'm old as well but I don't see why anyone would argue whether the 12er should have been out there if Gette crashed trying to avoid a wreck on his own. had the 12er hit him while riding because of lack of skill then maybe.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote