Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #21
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
What are you looking to use the phone for? If you're using it for media and basic stuff, I'd say go with iPhone. It sounds like you've already got all your music and stuff set up through iTunes and are familiar with the OS from using the iPod touch. If you don't have any issues with that, it'd be a smooth transition into the iPhone with little learning curve.

If you're looking for something different, an android phone will be nice. There are quite a few things that I think Android does that is far superior to Apple, but there's definitely more of a learning curve on the OS. The phone allows you to tweak more and gives you a little more freedom.

Really, it depends on what you're looking to get out of a phone at the moment. Like Chi said, play with whatever you're interested in and see which one appeals to you more. Each has positives and each has negatives. I'm on a Droid X, coming off a Droid. Each time I try to give the iPhone a fair shake, I come away disappointed.

If I can throw one more suggestion your way that will probably get panned by others: give a look to the HTC Trophy. I've been checking out some of the WP7 stuff recently and like what they're doing. The OS is smooth, I like the tile system, and the integration of XBox Live and Zune Pass really has me thinking long and hard about giving the new Windows Phone a shot when it's time to upgrade. Again, not a popular platform at the moment and easy to dismiss with the old shitty Windows Phone platforms, but the new stuff has been impressive so far.
Mostly email both work and personal, especially my outlook calendar. Some basic web surfing, pic taking and music player.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Mostly email both work and personal, especially my outlook calendar. Some basic web surfing, pic taking and music player.
I would look at your individual email addresses that you want to sync to your phone and check how well they and the outlook calendar work with each phone you are interested in. Android has been slowly improving their Exchange support, but it's still shit on some phones. If your work email is run through an Exchange server, there could be potential problems. I don't know how well iOS handles it, so I can't comment. If your email is through Gmail, then Android naturally has native support. Again, to throw in the other option, if you're on an Exchange server and Outlook support is important, check out WP7.

Web browsing is a push, really. Android's browser works, iOS browser works. Android supports flash and AIR, but it's kinda meh. Both are capable browsers.

Apple has the music player thing hands down. The stock music app on android, though getting better, sucks. There are other options available in the market. I use Winamp. But honestly, if I'm listening to mp3's, it's on my Zune. On my phone I'm using Slacker more often, but that's available on iOS also.

Depending on the phone on Android, the camera is either nice or shit. Forget the numbers listed. My Droid X has an 8MP camera. The pictures are ok, but come out a little washed out in all but the best lighting situations. The flash is excellent at completely washing out any color and is best used as a flashlight with a flashlight app. I think the Apple camera takes better pictures from what I've seen. I've seen some pictures from the Thunderbolt that are really damn nice though, so take that into account.

So, I don't know if any of that helped. I've had Android for two phones now and I like it, but I'm not tied to it. If iOS would suit my needs more, I'd have no problems switching to an iPhone. If I were in the market today, I'd be looking at Android and Windows Phone, personally. Like I've said prior, I like the Xbox and Zune integration on Windows Phone, as well as the Office integration. And something about the UI agrees with me. But that's just from my point of view.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Where do I start??? At this point my chief complaint is the fact that the phone shuts off and restarts itself whenever the hell it feels like it. I have more dropped calls from this bitch than I ever had with AT&T and more often than not if someone calls me they can't get through.

Yes, some of it is Sprint's problem but the phone sucks too.
One lemon condems the whole breed?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
One lemon condems the whole breed?
My wife's is a piece of shit too. So yes.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #25
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Go and mess around with them and get the one that seems to best fit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
The new OS for iPhone is gonna be awesome. Comes out this fall.
I can't fucking WAIT. I just hope it doesn't get hobbled by the carriers.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

...and it just shut off again. Fuck you EVO!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I can't fucking WAIT. I just hope it doesn't get hobbled by the carriers.
What is Apple adding/improving?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
What is Apple adding/improving?
http://www.zdnet.com/photos/ios-5-ha...e_skin;content

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
A lot of those improvements, like the notification bar and the lock screen, Apple got from Android.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
A lot of those improvements, like the notification bar and the lock screen, Apple got from Android.
So what?
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote