Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #21
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
That was taken from the title

Maybe NCDMV screwed up?!!? I'll check the actual bike this weekend if it doesn't ice us in
Here's a little tidbit I found, (and likely a good place to advertise the bike for sale):

http://www.honda305.com/fr/cb77_F12.htm

Edit: Link doesn't go where I thought it did, here's the text:

CYP77 Police Superhawk

Here is Paul Strassmaier's statement - the most extensively researched body of CYP77 information to date...

"The bike is the first model CYP. It's a little confusing, but here's how it went:

Type (CYP77) 1963-64: This bike featured the Honda "type 2" motor, dual carbs, but a 360 degree crank and one set of points. The points covers are hard to find, and actually say "Type 2". Also has 17" wheels, special fenders, chainguard, solo seat, handlebars and switches, needle stop in big white speedo, patrol lights and a friction drive siren. The siren control is a dual perch on the clutch side of the handlebar that accommodates a C100 lever. When you pull back the small lever (which is located under the clutch lever) is pushes the spindle against the rear tire and starts the siren turning. The bike also has a full rear bumper, and one more setting on the ignition switch that provides power to the speedo (to hold the needle), and the patrol lights (to keep them on) after the bike stops. Another interesting feature is that on the CYP the patrol lights do not flash like other police bikes. I may adapt a flasher just because that sounds goofy not to have them flash.

Type CP77: Looks very much like a CB77, except that they painted it white, painted the fenders and sidecovers white, still had 18" wheels, and basically the same CB77 motor (I've heard the oil pump is different), and still had the siren and patrol lights, but no ticket box or rear bumper (had a little white rack behind the solo seat). Probably an effort to streamline production by using more SuperHawk parts in the bike. I haven't seen any of these bikes, but I have factory photos.

Late CP77: I've seen many of these coming out of Canada. In my CP77 parts book it lists them as "discontinued in year of manufacture". These bikes have CP77 numbers, but were not painted white, and didn't have any special parts from the factory, with the exception that many had turn signals..."

Since yours has turn signals, the last entry is my guess.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 02-05-2010 at 11:45 AM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #22
CasterTroy

awesome info!!! and thanks for the link
Old 02-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #23
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Also told it may be a late 60's CB160?!?
Now you have to take back all that smack talking you did about AMJ in the mod forum.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #24
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Wow - beautiful condition!
I wonder what something like that is worth?
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Kinda curious myself, wonder if the mrs would notice it in the garage
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

To the right guy: 3-5K, depending on condition.

JC
Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
To the right guy: 3-5K, depending on condition.

JC
if I do well in the big super bowl pool I am in
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
CasterTroy

OK so Brian's widow dug up the 4 page letter from the last owner explaining where the bikes been and why it's what it is.

I'm just repeating what I read...I'm sure some southern Californian with a superiority complex will immediately get online and debunk anything and everything said. But at this point…I don’t care.

The original owner was a pilot that flew for an American based airline that shipped goods out of Japan in the 40’s. At the time of his era Japan was not allowed to have an airline to ship goods, and he did a great deal of transport for Honda of Japan. When the first TUBE-frame version came out, the original owner was given one as a gift from Honda….the emblem on the side says Honda Dream 300. The title is CP77 and not CB77. He was given a Japanese version that he flew home to California.
He rode it 200 miles and then dropped it in a parking lot, breaking a mirror. He then decided that his limbs and body were far too valuable as a pilot to injure and GAVE the bike to a very good friend. This friend rode the bike 10k miles and was told by a dealer after a service that the bike was too rare to just “ride” so he put it in an aluminum shed for 20 yrs forgetting it was there. After a friend discovered it, he then gave that friend the bike, because it had acquired surface rust, and he feared it was worthless. Of course it just turned out to be JUST surface rust and cleaned up fine. This friend was a good friend of Brian’s father and told him about it, and said if he wanted it, he could have it for $300 but he’d have to drive to Michigan and get it.. Brian’s father then told Brian, and the NEXT DAY Brian left to get the bike from NC.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #29
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

This has to be BS because...just kidding...I'm not even from California.

Seriously though...cool story/history and it will be interesting to find out what it is actually worth. Good luck with the sale.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote