Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #21
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
It's pretty wild... Those that haven't tried this are all up in fucking arms about it, saying it's dangerous, handles shitty, blah blah blah, you're gonna get killed.

Those that HAVE tried this, friggin swear by it... and many of those people are generally riders who ride WAYYY more fucking miles a year than any of us here do and have been riding for longer than some of us have been alive.
No doubt. I know an experienced rider that has one on his wing and swears by it. His track bike is a 636 and he's one fast mofo that knows his stuff.

Here's a video of his trial, and a link to his thread. He was leery about it at first, too. Very.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAP6VH_LWDY

Last edited by fasternyou929; 02-08-2010 at 01:03 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #22
CasterTroy

it's called "darkside"

And it was NOT to try and get a wider tire it's for longevity…that’s ALL

I’d never EVER do it…but as many have said…those that HAVE friggin LOVE it
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

A Goldwing isn't exactly a cheap bike.........And if he has a track bike too, then he's not exactly poor. Given that, I don't understand his willingness to put up with subpar handling just to get a few thousand more miles out of a rear tire.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #24
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
A Goldwing isn't exactly a cheap bike.........And if he has a track bike too, then he's not exactly poor. Given that, I don't understand his willingness to put up with subpar handling just to get a few thousand more miles out of a rear tire.
No, he's not poor. And if he felt the handling was sub-par, I doubt he'd do it. Even if you have money, who doesn't want to get the most bang for the buck? Direct quote from him:

Quote:
No, it does not handle as well as a bike tire, but for a bike like the Wing, it does well enough to drag the pegs on 90mph sweepers....
Seems to do "well enough" for him in handling, so why not?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Because "does not handle as well" (his words) means less enjoyment, at least in my opinion. Unless there is something fun about using a tire that "does not handle as well".

How many miles can you get out of a good touring tire on a Goldwing? I have no idea, but let's say at least 8-10K..........Now let's say the car tire would last, what, 20-25K? That's a significant improvment, but that's also a lot of miles spent putting up with a tire that (in his words) "does not handle as well"

You are taking a bike that is already heavy and reluctant to turn, and making it even more reluctant by using a tire that's basically flat. Road noise probably increases as well. Resistance to hydroplaning decreases too, since a wide tire doesn't cut into the water as well as a skinny one.

But, to each his own I guess. I'm sure the straight-ahead cruising is stable as a rock.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #26
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Quote:
Because "does not handle as well" (his words) means less enjoyment, at least in my opinion. Unless there is something fun about using a tire that "does not handle as well".

How many miles can you get out of a good touring tire on a Goldwing? I have no idea, but let's say at least 8-10K..........Now let's say the car tire would last, what, 20-25K? That's a significant improvment, but that's also a lot of miles spent putting up with a tire that (in his words) "does not handle as well"

You are taking a bike that is already heavy and reluctant to turn, and making it even more reluctant by using a tire that's basically flat. Road noise probably increases as well. Resistance to hydroplaning decreases too, since a wide tire doesn't cut into the water as well as a skinny one.

But, to each his own I guess. I'm sure the straight-ahead cruising is stable as a rock.
Just looking at the thing you can tell it's not going to handle as well as a motorcycle tire, so it's not like that was a surprise. It handles fine for how he rides the bike, so he's choosing the cheaper tire that gives him better mileage. Can't really blame him for that.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #27
CasterTroy

People with money tend to have gotten there by being cheap bastards to begin with
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #28
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Fuck all that.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:

I agree that I would NEVER put a car tire on a bike. The guy thinking about putting a car tire on his F4i must be high. There are a few problems with your arguments though.

Car tires have more siping than motorcycle tires- which means less chance of hydroplaning. They just have more space and more tread which gives better water shedding ability. I've heard of motorcycle touring tires going to 15,000-20,000 miles, when the equivalent hard car tires will run to 50,000 miles. While motorcycle tires have a hard time dealing with 600+ pounds each, car tires frequently deal with greater than that. The tires in that video also have a lot more radius between the sidewall and tread than most.

On a bike that can lean past 25 degrees, handling would definitely go to shit. On a wing or a bagger... Well, I gues if you can adjust to lugging 1,200 pounds around, you can adjust to muscling over a square tire too... From that thread, it sounds like a LOT of shit to adjust to. NO THANKS. Paying for tires is part of the game.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

^ I agree that car tires have deeper tread etc, but they are wider, and anytime you install wider tires on a car, you get more hydroplaning (if everything else is held constant, such as compound, tread pattern, weight, etc).

Think about it this way, if you're wearing ice skates, you can control yourself on ice, because the blade digs in..........But if you're just wearing shoes, good luck.