Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Austin, TX FTW... I can't speak for what the teaching job market is here *now*.. but my mom worked as a high school teacher for a while. There's also positions at the community college if you want something temp until you find a permanent teaching position elsewhere.. and they're (both the community college and the regular school system) *always* looking for substitute teachers. The bonus, too, is that there are a lot of surrounding communities (Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Kyle, Buda, etc.) that have exploding populations, and as such brand new schools that are in need of teachers.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6

I just happen to know lots of teachers in Fort Lauderdale and all I can say is run! The stuff from kids they put up with down here is horrible, the general education system is horrible, and there's no money in it. I do know someone who's a principal and making ends meet, so if you're interested in administration, you could look down here, but it's very political.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Um, hello, of course you need to come to Arizona!!! Duh!

We used to, as you know, live in Queen Creek. If you can give me more specifics then I can give you better advise. Queen Creek is pretty spread-out so the specific area will make a big difference in terms of how far you are from city center. I know that they have done a LOT of road expansion and put in a ton of shops since we moved from there.

Glendale is very hit or miss. Some areas of it are downright ghetto and you for sure don't want to live there. It too is pretty spread out, so, specifics will help.

Douglas is a tiny town that is not in the metro area. I'm not even sure how far it is from me.

Other cities to look into are Tempe (where ASU is) Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Austin, TX FTW... I can't speak for what the teaching job market is here *now*.. but my mom worked as a high school teacher for a while. There's also positions at the community college if you want something temp until you find a permanent teaching position elsewhere.. and they're (both the community college and the regular school system) *always* looking for substitute teachers. The bonus, too, is that there are a lot of surrounding communities (Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Kyle, Buda, etc.) that have exploding populations, and as such brand new schools that are in need of teachers.
yup.

HUGE population explosion right now in my area. We just approved the new bond for a new high school - middle school and two new elementary schools. Construction just started... AND a new high school and middle school in the district just opened this year.

Though, for the single girl she is - I'd recommend living downtown. A backward commute (driving out when everyone is driving in) and living in the condo mecca that Austin is becoming...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
yup.

HUGE population explosion right now in my area. We just approved the new bond for a new high school - middle school and two new elementary schools. Construction just started... AND a new high school and middle school in the district just opened this year.

Though, for the single girl she is - I'd recommend living downtown. A backward commute (driving out when everyone is driving in) and living in the condo mecca that Austin is becoming...
Yup! And having 6th street within walking distance? Kell would be in heaven.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

high point and charlotte are both really nice, that would be my choice out of those. I would stay the fuck out of Flawaduh.

What's your field?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I like Charlotte, myself, but isn't real estate and rent fairly pricey there these days?
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I like Charlotte, myself, but isn't real estate and rent fairly pricey there these days?
Actually it's cheaper than WNC - and the job market is better

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Don't move to anywhere in the Midwest. NC sounds like a good move to me.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I'm definitely looking into a teaching position. I forgot all about Texas so maybe I'll look into that too. Any areas to avoid in Texas?

NYC is now on the list although it's not exactly bike friendly.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote