Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
I didn't watch the video but I can guarentee that is NOT standard practice on any farm.

I grew up on a farm and you do everything you can to keep all your animals calm. Stress greatly reduces milk output in cows and there is no way you kill an animal that is all stressed out. They don't taste as good due to adrenalin and other chemicals released in the bloodstream during stress.

Find the cowards ( no pun intended) and tie their ankles with rope about 12" apart. Then put them in a field with a pissed off 2000 lb + bull.

Karma's a bitch
I didn't say that it's normal on EVERY farm but did you grow up on a dairy factory? That's what these are. I've been to these places in my old work and I've seen this behavior first hand. Again, I'm not talking a "Charlotte's Web" type family farm... I've been to these places where they tie down the calf's legs to stop them from moving around and keep them tender. The cow's never leave a stall, the chickens are in small cages, the turkeys packed in pens, etc...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #22
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

can't watch the video. what i don't know won't hurt me. if i had to look the animals i eat in the face before i snacked on them i guarantee i'd be a vegetarian.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I didn't say that it's normal on EVERY farm but did you grow up on a dairy factory? That's what these are. I've been to these places in my old work and I've seen this behavior first hand. Again, I'm not talking a "Charlotte's Web" type family farm... I've been to these places where they tie down the calf's legs to stop them from moving around and keep them tender. The cow's never leave a stall, the chickens are in small cages, the turkeys packed in pens, etc...
As stated, for a dairy farm, mistreating the cattle is extremely non-productive.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
No, not a dairy factory but a dairy farm. Probably about 60 head of milking cows. You'd get yelled at for making the cows run into the barn ( lightning storms were the only exception ).

Calf pens were small but they were never tied down.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl View Post
can't watch the video. what i don't know won't hurt me. if i had to look the animals i eat in the face before i snacked on them i guarantee i'd be a vegetarian.
Or you could be aware of certain truths and act on them. In this case by doing your best to research where your food comes from and buy accordingly.

Nothing good ever came from having your head in the sand.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
As stated, for a dairy farm, mistreating the cattle is extremely non-productive.
So is tossing around product when you work at Best Buy but the workers there do it every week... So is mistreating the animals at a pet stote but people do it... so is mistreating patients at a hospital but nurses do it... so is surfing the net at work...
News flash employees don't always consider what is best for the company...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Billy Joe

Quote:
Billy Joe Gregg Jr., 25, of Delaware, Ohio, is being held in jail on $100,000 bond on 12 counts of cruelty to animals. If convicted, Gregg faces 90 days in jail and a fine of $750 on each misdemeanor count.

Gregg was identified in the Mercy For Animals video as the Conklin worker stomping calves' heads and beating tied-down cows with metal rods at a local dairy farm. He told a Marysville judge Thursday that he needed to be out of jail, so that he could care for his own animals and complete a degree in law enforcement (what a surprise ) at Columbus State College.

Gregg told the judge at his Thursday arraignment that he is a wounded Iraq war veteran. On the video, Gregg is seen carting guns into the milk house, firing them on the farm and talking about stealing M-16 rifles from the U.S. Army while in Iraq.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-30-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

That's not even funny. God forbid, this asshole becomes a cop.

Wow, just wow.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Rednecks hate animals.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgirl View Post
if i had to look the animals i eat in the face before i snacked on them i guarantee i'd be a vegetarian.
Meh, that wouldn't bother me for the fact that if I were doing the killing, I would do it as humanely and quickly as possible.

I've had to "put down" an animal before. It was a kitten that slept in the engine bay of my mom's car. When she started the car, the radiator fan mangled the cat, yet it was still alive.

The things going through my mind were only how to end its life as quickly as possible. I went inside and grabbed a pistol and shot it in the head. It sucked, it's not something you particularly want to do. I mean, you want to end its suffering, but you never actually imagine yourself shooting a domesticated animal.

That being the case, I was unprepared for the involuntary muscle spasms after I shot it.

So, my synopsis of the whole situation is, sometimes you have to do something that, without context, is terrible. But given the entirety of the situation, I felt it was the right thing to do.

All that is to say, these guys are just taking out their sick aggression on these animals who cannot defend themselves. It's disgusting brutality. If this guy ever becomes a cop, I have extreme pity on his jurisdiction.