Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #21
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I expect to have to PCS sometime this summer, which really sucks as I wanted to stay here a couple more years. I always said you don't get laid off in the military, but they already tried once which is why I don't fix jets anymore. Hopefully id they do away with my career field I'll be able to hop to another one again. Time will tell.

And Kel, don't feel bad. Nobody's getting laid.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well I'm military so if they lay me off.. I'll just come back as a contracter and make 5-10x what I make now...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #23
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

My wifes company has given a 10% pay cut and has broken everyone into groups of 3 and they are getting laidoff for a month every third month. Right now you do not have to pay taxes on the first 2 months of unemployment money. Also Cobra is 45 days retro active. So basically no one will lose insurance and the untaxed unemployment money should be a good % of there normal wage.

They are working really hard to keep there employees from getting hurt by this. My wife so far was one of the few people they needed there all the time so she was not in one of the groups of 3.

They also closed down there Canada production that builing is now just a shipping center.

My company has laid off all the temp employees and a few of the others. But I have not been sitting at home on call for a while so I'm still pretty over worked.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #24
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

I'm an unemployed full time student.

If the job market is as terrible when I graduate I'll probably just head to graduate school.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

its funny, they say that healthcare and i beleive teaching jobs are increasing, an din the last few weeks I have been asked about 3 different jobs in different ER's. I may start to look into it if its 3 12's and offerst he right package, and a decent raise over what i am getting now.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #26
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I would think healthcare would do much better in hard times. as bad as it is to say people seem to drink more, smoke more and hurt themselves and others more during hard times.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #27
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
I would think healthcare would do much better in hard times. as bad as it is to say people seem to drink more, smoke more and hurt themselves and others more during hard times.
I did hear something about sales of alcohol being way up. I think healthcare as a whole is kinda recessionproof. There will always be a need for hospitals and the services they provide, even more so for me working in emergency medicine. Some rivate offices and clinics may get hit, but I think the govt will always make sure were here. its like police and fireman being an essesntial service for the community.

Tom
Old 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #28
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I did hear something about sales of alcohol being way up. I think healthcare as a whole is kinda recessionproof. There will always be a need for hospitals and the services they provide, even more so for me working in emergency medicine. Some rivate offices and clinics may get hit, but I think the govt will always make sure were here. its like police and fireman being an essesntial service for the community.

Tom
yeah you guys will just start getting hit with the "emergency" sniffle more now that folks are losing insurance and can't go to clinics whenever they want to.
Never understood that one, I mean no offense, I'm sure you're a great guy, but I would go to great lengths not to meet you at work. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

laid off last November. Self employed now. Still looking for a job in my field. Only posting in the last 2 weeks was in Abu Dhabi. I applied anyway.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
yeah you guys will just start getting hit with the "emergency" sniffle more now that folks are losing insurance and can't go to clinics whenever they want to.
Never understood that one, I mean no offense, I'm sure you're a great guy, but I would go to great lengths not to meet you at work. LOL
Starting to, thats nothing new here. We get people with colds comming in all the time. People dont have doctors, or cant get in to see them rightaway so they show up in the ER and prolong already long wait times.

its a nationwide problem and has been featured in many journal articles about how to help alleviate the problem.

Tom