Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Cool bike!

What made you want to part company with the VTX?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Cool bike!

Have you seen pictures of him riding the vtx? There are very few people I believe can outride the bike they own, he was one of them. At the time I thought he was dragging his pegs at the gap, but I was wrong, he was lifting his inside foot so that the peg would fold over to give him more lean angle
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #23
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Congrats! I like it but that exhaust can is hideous.
Thanks Lee, and you're absolutetly right! I'm thinking a Yosh TRC stainless, they look good on the FZ's. I'll probably get one in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Cool bike!

Pretty much what Derf said I like riding the twisties and wanted a bike that I wasn't riding at 98% of it's capabilities. I doubt I'll ever ride the FZ or any sport bike that close to it's limits so that'll give me some room for error. The VTX was a good bike, for a big cruiser. Just got bored with it really and wanted more performance.

Rae, thanks!! Yeah, I finally got it!!!

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Have you seen pictures of him riding the vtx? There are very few people I believe can outride the bike they own, he was one of them. At the time I thought he was dragging his pegs at the gap, but I was wrong, he was lifting his inside foot so that the peg would fold over to give him more lean angle
You gotta see jay and jackson at work on twisties. Those two are certifiable
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #25
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Pretty much what Derf said I like riding the twisties and wanted a bike that I wasn't riding at 98% of it's capabilities. I doubt I'll ever ride the FZ or any sport bike that close to it's limits so that'll give me some room for error. The VTX was a good bike, for a big cruiser. Just got bored with it really and wanted more performance.
Did you have trouble keeping a front tire on it? I have a 109-R and it eats front tires when I ride hard in the twisties. The front I have on it now is shot...will need to come off the beginning of next riding season. It didn't survive the last trip down to NW Arkansas and SW Missouri. I ask a lot of the front in the Ozarks..push that bike pretty hard.

It's an easier bike to ride at or near the limit than my GSX-R750 was, that's for sure. Honestly, though....I miss the performance of the 750...but I don't really miss owning it, if that makes any sense. It was a fun "thrill" bike but not such a good "ride every day" bike. At least for me.

I love the FZers....never ridden one but they look like a nice compromise between an SS and a power cruiser.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
Thanks Lee, and you're absolutetly right! I'm thinking a Yosh TRC stainless, they look good on the FZ's. I'll probably get one in the next few weeks.
Enjoy her.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #27
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Did you have trouble keeping a front tire on it? I have a 109-R and it eats front tires when I ride hard in the twisties. The front I have on it now is shot...will need to come off the beginning of next riding season. It didn't survive the last trip down to NW Arkansas and SW Missouri. I ask a lot of the front in the Ozarks..push that bike pretty hard.

It's an easier bike to ride at or near the limit than my GSX-R750 was, that's for sure. Honestly, though....I miss the performance of the 750...but I don't really miss owning it, if that makes any sense. It was a fun "thrill" bike but not such a good "ride every day" bike. At least for me.

I love the FZers....never ridden one but they look like a nice compromise between an SS and a power cruiser.
I would go through 2 rears for one front on the VTX, it was a well balanced bike after I upgraded the springs and shocks. I'd usually get between 6-8k on a rear depending on how much I was in the twisties. I ran Metzler ME880's on it, great tires for a power cruiser and I ran them at max psi of 42lbs all the time.

This was at Deals Gap last year at the rally (May 09)

The VTX was a great bike, I just wanted something sportier and the FZ is a good comprimise for a little comfort without sacrificing much on performance. It doesn't hurt my back or hands/arms at all. I took the long way home tonight to hit a couple of my favorite roads around here and I really like it. Needs some tweaking on the stock suspension though, I haven't even set the sag on it yet. I'll start on that as soon as a friend can come over to help me measure.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote