Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
While I understand the argument, at the same time, we're the ones encroaching on their territory, so my sympathy stays with the animals, they are only doing whats natural. As far as getting stalked, not by wolves, but yes by coyotes, and a weapon is necessary, while still remembering, you are the one in their living room, not the other way around.
Here's something I always say to this... Um, don't we have a right to space on this Earth as well? We already bunch up in the cities. If the wolves had a chance they would take over as much territory as possible. Sometimes I think that some animal rights people would rather human babies not be born. Now I agree to an extent we take up more space than necessary but we aren't "encroaching", we are marking our territory! The dominant species has a right and in many ways an obligation to take over from and weed out the weaker species. I'm sorry but if the animals on the planet only consisted of those we eat and keep as pets...Well, I for one could live with that.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Here's something I always say to this... Um, don't we have a right to space on this Earth as well? We already bunch up in the cities. If the wolves had a chance they would take over as much territory as possible. Sometimes I think that some animal rights people would rather human babies not be born. Now I agree to an extent we take up more space than necessary but we aren't "encroaching", we are marking our territory! The dominant species has a right and in many ways an obligation to take over from and weed out the weaker species. I'm sorry but if the animals on the planet only consisted of those we eat and keep as pets...Well, I for one could live with that.
If the wolf were wandering around city streets I don't think anybody would argue with you. But, if you're applying this argument to the photo at the beginning of this thread, someone went out in the woods and shot him. Then went back home.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
you are wrong.

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #24
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Holy shit... that wasn't a wolf, it was a frickin' dire wolf.

While this might sound funny coming from a hunter, I have to agree with the sentiment that there's very little good reason to hunt some animals, particularly predatory species.
Defending livestock, sure.
Self defense if you're in the woods and one makes hostile moves toward you, sure.
But there are plenty of animals in this world that are currently overpopulated and need a little hunting pressure to keep them in balance. (primarily because we already killed off their natural predators)
We should stick to those and curtail the thrill-hunting.

Hunting humans, a la 'Most Dangerous Game'... hrm... interesting.
Hemingway wrote: "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
The problem is, they're so tricky to prepare.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
1.) Wolves usually set out territorial boundaries and stay within them, often even avoiding the fringes. They are NOT conquerors.

2.) In this situation the hunters were in no way threatened or at risk of losing livestock etc but rather were in the wilderness for sport.

3.) The dominant species in any ecosystem doesn't have the 'right' to kill weaker species it has the ability. We as humans have the ability to kill weaker humans so why do we not? Because if their is no order to what we kill then chaos would ensue.

4.) If the only animals on the planet were ones we use as pets and eat then we would all perish within 10 years. Most animals and organism on the planet serves a purpose to continue life even if it isn't of direct use by humans. Eg. We don't hunt or eat bees (honey bees only make up a very small portion) but without them a massive amount of vegetation would die off due to lack of pollination.

Just some food for thought. As far as killing this wolf I think it is a shame as it is such a beautiful creature and shooting it really serves no purpose since as said before I doubt they are going to eat it or do something productive with and just have it stuffed. Having grown up on a farm I understand the need to occasionally kill predatory animals that go after livestock or cause other damage but to kill something as rare as a wolf of this size simply because it walked across your path (they were out for bear) is wrong IMO.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Aw you guys are no fun!!! Just for the sake of argument, obviously, I wasn't discussing bees or even other insects, though there are plenty I would wipe out. As far as, "every creature serving a purpose" goes, please. Every creature on this planet can EASILY be replaced by nature, just ask the dinosaurs. If we eliminated all of the redundant species and carefully engineered the rest, I'm certain that we could make a viable ecosystem.

As far as "encroachment" goes, I'm not speaking to this exact example here but to the concept that we are encroaching on another animal's habitat when we build houses somewhere. I don't pretend to be a wildlife expert like you all but I still think that as a wolf pack gets larger, member break off to form their own packs elsewhere. Something like that anyway...

Aw, I'm going to eat pizza and watch some streaming movie on Netflix...
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #27
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

That's out by my parents!!

While I feel sadness when I see photo's of them shot, they have to be culled sometimes or they start starving and attacking people believe it or not. Not enough rabbits and they start stealing calves, we lost 100 geese to the beasts!

They are not a pretty sight when they are starving either, more humane to keep the population down than to let it creep up and then watch them starve to death.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
That's out by my parents!!

While I feel sadness when I see photo's of them shot, they have to be culled sometimes or they start starving and attacking people believe it or not. Not enough rabbits and they start stealing calves, we lost 100 geese to the beasts!

They are not a pretty sight when they are starving either, more humane to keep the population down than to let it creep up and then watch them starve to death.
Yea what she said! Hey, you want a slice of peperoni with banna peppers?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #29
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Not everyone has a duel degree in biology and is working on their masters in biology and population dynamics....just saying

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
Not everyone has a duel degree in biology and is working on their masters in biology and population dynamics....just saying
Yea I know...You're really cute when you get all ecological...