Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #21
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

My buddy talked to a friend of his who is a super geek. He runs all the IT stuff for some hospital network pulling in about 150k a year so I'm guessing he's good with eletronics. He got the Best Buy brand 32" LCD for $330 and said even though it's advertised at a 720p(?) it takes I think a 1080 or so easily. I'm going to look into that one.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Unless you're getting a huge TV or are planning on using it as a computer monitor, 1080p is a waste of money. All broadcast HD is in 720p and I have a real hard time distinguishing a 1080p movie vs a 720p on my 46". And you have to be damn close to tell.

Plasma is dying tech, but that just means killer deals. If your room isn't ridiculously bright and you don't have a light source that shines directly on your TV, plasma is a great option. Beware though, LCD's with glossy screens suck ass in the same way a plasma will if there's a light source that can reflect on it.

I second the notion to get at least two HDMI ports, even DVD players are going to those as an interface. Eventually your cable box will too.

Go to the store, ignore the prices and look at the pictures. Decide what's best and determine the quality to price ratio that works for you.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
True, they will be gone, but if you can get one for a good deal, who cares? Seems like most of you ballers get a new one every 2-3 years anyway, based on how much you post about electronics here. So it's not like it's going to die or need service before you get rid of it.
I don't. I am frugal, but when I buy something like this I usually try to go top of the line. I don't replace 2-3 years either. I have had my tv for about 4 years now. Just bought my wife an hdtv.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
LCD prices are dropping as well. The reason Plasma is that cheap is because they are shutting down the lines. Research it, plasma is fading away. No one is investing in it anymore. Everyone is moving to LCD/LED.

They are good TVs, but they are dead tech. It's not something people are investing in and pursuing = dead tech.

Plasmas will be long gone before long.
I agree that companies are transitioning their lines to LCDs and phasing out plasmas. But even if you cant buy a plasma anymore this time next year the TVs available now are still good pieces of equipment.

Im in the market for a TV in the 50" range and Id love to get an LED with local dimming but unless the prices come down some after Christmas Ill probably get a plasma.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I agree that companies are transitioning their lines to LCDs and phasing out plasmas. But even if you cant buy a plasma anymore this time next year the TVs available now are still good pieces of equipment.

Im in the market for a TV in the 50" range and Id love to get an LED with local dimming but unless the prices come down some after Christmas Ill probably get a plasma.
Thats all I am saying. I agree most plasmas are better than the low/middle end LCDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Next time, I'm going 60"+. My 46" feels small now that I'm used to it. Shit, if I had a house that I could dedicate a room to home theatre, I'd totally rock a killer projector.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Next time, I'm going 60"+. My 46" feels small now that I'm used to it. Shit, if I had a house that I could dedicate a room to home theatre, I'd totally rock a killer projector.
It never ends. My dad bought a 65" Mitsubishi DLP 3 years ago. He wishes he had gone with the 73" version instead. The next TV I get will probably be a 1080P projector with a screen in the 110-120" range.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #28
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It never ends. My dad bought a 65" Mitsubishi DLP 3 years ago. He wishes he had gone with the 73" version instead. The next TV I get will probably be a 1080P projector with a screen in the 110-120" range.
Make sure you have absolute control over the light in that room. Projectors work really well, but even the brightest don't do well in brightly lit rooms. Also, don't waste your money on a screen... they make a special paint for the wall and from what I've read it works great.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Make sure you have absolute control over the light in that room. Projectors work really well, but even the brightest don't do well in brightly lit rooms. Also, don't waste your money on a screen... they make a special paint for the wall and from what I've read it works great.
Given that the average wall has so many bumps & surface irregularities, how would they NOT affect the picture?

A good motorized screen is only like $300 anyway.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #30
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It would be a bitch if you start thinking 120" is too small. I have a 46", I'm used to in now but I don't think its "small". I want to go bigger in my house. I would like to switch my 25" in the bedroom to a 32"+ tv.

If I have the room for it in the next house I think I will be getting a projector myself.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote