Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #21
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
If you are going to grad school and need mommy to "match" your down payment, why do you need a 35k car?

Get a new Aveo for 11 grand OTD and buy a better car once you get a real job.
Not so much that I NEED mommy to match a down payment it is just how it worked out due to the fact of how little financial support I have ever burdened her with (About $1,000 spread over the last 6 years). I paid for my undergrad degree, and already saved enough to pay for the rest of grad school. I want to get a new car because I am the type of person who drives a car until it dies. If I end up spending my entire budget and pay off the car then I will sell my RC8 and trade down to a 600 or something that is more 'comfortable' to ride and put the difference in savings. If I get the research position I want then I will be pretty well off as it will knock 2/3s off my tuition and generate income which I don't really need as my housing and living expenses will be paid for through student loans which are autodebited from my savings to build credit.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #22
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Not so much that I NEED mommy to match a down payment it is just how it worked out due to the fact of how little financial support I have ever burdened her with (About $1,000 spread over the last 6 years). I paid for my undergrad degree, and already saved enough to pay for the rest of grad school. I want to get a new car because I am the type of person who drives a car until it dies. If I end up spending my entire budget and pay off the car then I will sell my RC8 and trade down to a 600 or something that is more 'comfortable' to ride and put the difference in savings. If I get the research position I want then I will be pretty well off as it will knock 2/3s off my tuition and generate income which I don't really need as my housing and living expenses will be paid for through student loans which are autodebited from my savings to build credit.
I gotta give you credit man; sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
which I don't really need as my housing and living expenses will be paid for through student loans which are autodebited from my savings to build credit.
i would recommend buying a cheap car and staying away from student loans.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
That's pretty slick lookin... but I wonder how the power compares - the WRX is much smaller, with the same 2.5 turbo and AWD...
It comes with 250hp and taller gears than the STI.
It is more of a luxury sport car(like Audi) than a sport compact(wrx/Mazda 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
What do you call the "regular" mazda speed?

They have variations of 3 different vehicles

MazdaSpeed3 07-08-(09?)
MazdaSpeed6 06-07
MazdaSpeedRX-8 05
MazdaSpeed miata
Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #25
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
I gotta give you credit man; sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan.
It comes from frugal living. I spend $25 a week on groceries by clipping coupons, rent a basement apartment because it is cheap and utilities are included, use a prepay phone because I never talk on the phone, never live alone so I have someone to split rent with and treat my savings like it's not my money.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #26
zlicius
Kneedragger

Moto: Gladius

Student loans are da debil. TRUST ME. If I had no student loans I could have a muuuuuuuuuuuch bigger house or fancier car.
zlicius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
It comes with 250hp and taller gears than the STI.
It is more of a luxury sport car(like Audi) than a sport compact(wrx/Mazda 3)
Nice!!

We have friends with an STi and an Explorer, but she's planning on trading her Explorer in on a Leggy (sedan) soon. I'm curious to check it out... looks pretty sweet.

I think when it's time for us to get something bigger or trade in the truck, we might go Forrester. Now that we HAVE a Subie I'm completely and 100% sold on them.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #28
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlicius View Post
Student loans are da debil. TRUST ME. If I had no student loans I could have a muuuuuuuuuuuch bigger house or fancier car.
Depends on the situation. Mine are ok because I don't let the balance get above 10k, I am still in school so no interest accrues and the payments come auto out of savings so I never have to think about it. Plus over the last couple years my credit has been rising thanks to them. However I did learn the hard way that Sallie Mae is the devil.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I personally am done with high-powered FWD cars.......They all claim to have torque-steer under control, but they don't. So for me it's either RWD or AWD from now on. I personally would look for a used 3-series.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-10-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #30
goof2
AMA Supersport

If you are considering used cars as well you could get a low mile (under 30k) mid 2000s M3 coupe or convertible. You better make sure you can do the maintenance yourself though (including valve adjustments) or you are looking at $2k+ every 25k miles. You could also look for a lower mile previous generation M5.

For Audis you could look for a mid 2000s low mile S4.

One brand I really like is Jaguar. It can be viewed as an old man's car and isn't available with a manual, but an 04 or 05 XJR (400hp supercharged V8) with under 40k miles is doable, possibly with money to spare. Even the occasional low mile Super V8 (extended length XJR, even better leather, carpet, etc.) falls in to that price range.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote