Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
So true. And so sad, on all counts.

Eh, I can't agree with this part....

I don't enjoy a traffic ticket anymore than anyone else, BUT, I also don't fault the Cops in the least when I get them. Fact is, the law is the law - the speed limit is the speed limit, the red light is the red light, etc...

We all know full well when we're breaking traffic laws, but because we get away with it 99.99999999999999% of the time, we continue to do it, daily.

But then the one time we get pulled over for it, it's somehow the Cop's fault, for being stupid, or a jerk, or whatever? Nuh uh.... I take full responsibility for the tickets I've earned.

I agree there are bigger fish to fry, so to speak, but the fact remains, we make the CHOICE to do that 55 in a 45, etc.... and once in a while, we might get caught.
Sorry but I don't agree with this "the law is the law" outlook. I used to think that way. But through research I've discovered policies about speeding and traffic flows. Speeding tickets are nothing more than a cash cow for the police that they must use to fund their department. They have to. The part that I get upset with is that it's under the guise of public safety. If tickets were handed out for actual unsafe procedures (following too closely, improper lane changes, etc.) I'd be much more lenient with this attitude.

Roads here are supposed to be re-evaluated every 5 years for speed and flow of traffic. Speeding at 5 over isn't going to kill anyone so don't tell me it's for public safety. It's to fund things. And if it were only about public safety there would be cops sitting right at the speed change line nailing people going 2 over when they cross that line.

Sorry....went off on a tangent there.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i'll agree they are not trustworthy but does that mean it's ok to shoot or kill them?
Sheeeeeeyat, if I got to shoot everyone I didn't trust, ... well... there'd be a lotta bodies in my wake.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #23
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
i'll agree they are not trustworthy but does that mean it's ok to shoot or kill them?
Is that what I said?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #24
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Sorry but I don't agree with this "the law is the law" outlook. I used to think that way. But through research I've discovered policies about speeding and traffic flows. Speeding tickets are nothing more than a cash cow for the police that they must use to fund their department. They have to. The part that I get upset with is that it's under the guise of public safety. If tickets were handed out for actual unsafe procedures (following too closely, improper lane changes, etc.) I'd be much more lenient with this attitude.

Roads here are supposed to be re-evaluated every 5 years for speed and flow of traffic. Speeding at 5 over isn't going to kill anyone so don't tell me it's for public safety. It's to fund things. And if it were only about public safety there would be cops sitting right at the speed change line nailing people going 2 over when they cross that line.

You don't have to apologize for having an opinion. And I still hold my stance on this.

I'm not arguing whether or not the laws SHOULD be what they are, it's that they ARE what they are, and we either choose to abide by them, or we don't. If we KNOW that the speed limit on a road is 45, and we choose to do 55 (God knows I do!), and then get a ticket? Well, we've gotta take our lumps.

To argue that we shouldn't get a ticket because we don't feel the law should be what it is is a totally different debate. And a moot one, since Traffic Cops don't WRITE the laws in the first place, they merely enforce them. So to hate COPS for the fact that there are stupid laws in place is kinda like shooting the messenger.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #25
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:

Well said and I agree 100%
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #26
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

i'm w/ NEEBs
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #27
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
You don't have to apologize for having an opinion. And I still hold my stance on this.

I'm not arguing whether or not the laws SHOULD be what they are, it's that they ARE what they are, and we either choose to abide by them, or we don't. If we KNOW that the speed limit on a road is 45, and we choose to do 55 (God knows I do!), and then get a ticket? Well, we've gotta take our lumps.

To argue that we shouldn't get a ticket because we don't feel the law should be what it is is a totally different debate. And a moot one, since Traffic Cops don't WRITE the laws in the first place, they merely enforce them. So to hate COPS for the fact that there are stupid laws in place is kinda like shooting the messenger.
Oh ya totally agree with you on that one. I think I just went into a blind "speeding tickets for safety" rage and couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I'm with you on that. If you did it just suck it up and take the ticket. I never argue, am never rude, and am always polite. It's not their fault.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #28
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
I'm with you on that. If you did it just suck it up and take the ticket. I never argue, am never rude, and am always polite. It's not their fault.
So am I, but I still hate their guts and what the represent. Personal responsibility extends to those doing something wrong because "its their job."
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #29
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
So am I, but I still hate their guts and what the represent. Personal responsibility extends to those doing something wrong because "its their job."
is the cop more wrong for writing a ticket on a "bad law", or are you more wrong for breaking a law or a process that the public (maybe not you) has deemed acceptable?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #30
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
True true.

Has hell frozen over or are we actually on the same page with something here?