Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 AM   #21
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Get the bowflex select-tech dumbbells, they go up to about 60 pounds per hand I think, which is enough to do a so-so workout...

Grab a couple 75's and a couple 100's and you'd have most everything you'd need.

Freeweights are still >> machines
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Get the bowflex select-tech dumbbells, they go up to about 60 pounds per hand I think, which is enough to do a so-so workout...

Grab a couple 75's and a couple 100's and you'd have most everything you'd need.

Freeweights are still >> machines
I use weights ranging from 15 all the way up to over 100 . Thats a lot of damn weights I'd need. I try to go up 5lb on every set I do. There are a ton of exercises that I use dumbbells on. Most of my upper body is done with them. Flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, cable crossovers, military press, seated row, and lat pull downs are the only exercises I do that don't require dumbbells.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Don't be a pussy, benchpress your r6.

A park bench and a sportbike is all that a real badass needs. The older the bike the more you're a badass.
I use a cbr11000 and a gsxr1100 as dumbbells.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #24
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I used to own a Bowflex...just never really liked it so I sold it and went back to free weights....of course as of late I haven't even been doing that...
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #25
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I use weights ranging from 15 all the way up to over 100 . Thats a lot of damn weights I'd need. I try to go up 5lb on every set I do. There are a ton of exercises that I use dumbbells on. Most of my upper body is done with them. Flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, cable crossovers, military press, seated row, and lat pull downs are the only exercises I do that don't require dumbbells.
Yeah I'm in the same boat. That's why I like the selecttech ones I mentioned, they go from 5-60 pounds or something like that, in 2.5lb increments. I don't own them, but I'd like to.

I wish they'd make a set that goes all the way up to 100 or 120 though, but I imagine there are some difficulties in that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiZdETS View Post
Don't be a pussy, benchpress your r6.
nice. I couldn't benchpress it. I could squat it, though.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #26
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
And you could even do all the bench presses and military press with the dumbells.

Quote:
Yeah I'm in the same boat. That's why I like the selecttech ones I mentioned, they go from 5-60 pounds or something like that, in 2.5lb increments. I don't own them, but I'd like to.

I wish they'd make a set that goes all the way up to 100 or 120 though, but I imagine there are some difficulties in that.

nice. I couldn't benchpress it. I could squat it, though.
They make a 2-20 for the women, a 5-50 and a 10-90. The 10-90 changes in 5 pound increments, but the others change in 2.5 pound increments.

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/bst...e/products.jsp

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-08-2008 at 07:30 PM..
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #27
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
They make a 2-20 for the women, a 5-50 and a 10-90. The 10-90 changes in 5 pound increments, but the others change in 2.5 pound increments.

http://www.bowflexselecttech.com/bst...e/products.jsp
Interesting. When I was looking at them a while back they didn't make the 10-90. They must have added that after people said they wanted more weight. 5 pound increments is fine, 2.5 isn't really necessary. 10-90 is pretty damn good. I want a set of those.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #28
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
And you could even do all the bench presses and military press with the dumbells.

I do, I use both barbell and dumbbell for the same exercise. Typically I do 4 exercises per body part, 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. I mix it up and try to not to the same routine 2 times in a row.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #29
fatburg
Grill Master

Moto: Yamaha FZ6

Do not get the Selectech db's if you are going up to 90's. Stick with the Powerblocks or Ironmaster adjustable DB's.

And again I return to the point, a weight machine is not crap if it is used. Any exercise and/or resistance training is beneficial.
fatburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #30
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Interesting. When I was looking at them a while back they didn't make the 10-90. They must have added that after people said they wanted more weight. 5 pound increments is fine, 2.5 isn't really necessary. 10-90 is pretty damn good. I want a set of those.
Yeah, I think they've only been out for 6 months to a year, but not positive.

Quote:
I do, I use both barbell and dumbbell for the same exercise. Typically I do 4 exercises per body part, 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps. I mix it up and try to not to the same routine 2 times in a row.
I've read that you should also vary your routine with both fewer and more reps regularly. Do the "normal" reps most of the time, but throw in a day, week, or maybe a month of fewer reps with more weight, then switch back to your normal routine. Next time you change, do less weight with more reps, then back to normal. BUT, I'm not one to really give workout advice, it's just something I read when I was doing research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatburg View Post
Do not get the Selectech db's if you are going up to 90's. Stick with the Powerblocks or Ironmaster adjustable DB's.

And again I return to the point, a weight machine is not crap if it is used. Any exercise and/or resistance training is beneficial.
Why do you advise against Selectechs?

And I agree, as long as you are using the equipment, you are doing yourself some good. I need to get back into a routine, which should happen here in the next couple weeks after I get off this damn night shift!
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote