Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #21
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
They are ALREADY making money off merchant charges when you use them. Why do they need more? Ghey IMO.
Because this is AMERICA.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
That's the point, most people don't know.

Many of these gif cards start charging a fee after so many months.

You don't "pay it", it reduces your available balance.

Example:
You buy your son a $50 gift card for $53.50. He loses it. Finds it a year and a half later and goes to buy a $50 game.

Declined.

He has $20 left of your $53.50 because he was paying $2.50 per month after 6 months without knowing it.
Ok gotcha. My son doesn't let the card sit. That fool can flat spend money.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
They are ALREADY making money off merchant charges when you use them. Why do they need more? Ghey IMO.
This is all speculation, but my guess is the fee to purchase the card goes to the retailer who sells it. Unlike the Starbucks and Shell cards which can only be used within those chains there is no guarantee that the retailer who sells the Amex card will see any of that money. The retailer needs to get a fee as an incentive to sell the cards. Amex makes their money from someone using the card. The retailer makes money from someone buying the card.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
This is all speculation, but my guess is the fee to purchase the card goes to the retailer who sells it. Unlike the Starbucks and Shell cards which can only be used within those chains there is no guarantee that the retailer who sells the Amex card will see any of that money. The retailer needs to get a fee as an incentive to sell the cards. Amex makes their money from someone using the card. The retailer makes money from someone buying the card.
Shell and Starbucks go up to Kroger or Safeway and say "I'll sell you a thousand 50 dollar cards for $48,000 instead of $50,000."

This way the grocery store makes their margin.

I'm not sure why Visa and Mastercard couldn't do that, instead of making the consumer pay the premium.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #25
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Shell and Starbucks go up to Kroger or Safeway and say "I'll sell you a thousand 50 dollar cards for $48,000 instead of $50,000."

This way the grocery store makes their margin.

I'm not sure why Visa and Mastercard couldn't do that, instead of making the consumer pay the premium.
Probably because they can. An Amex gift card has more utility than a Shell or Starbucks gift card.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

This reminds me...I have a $250 Gift Card that I haven't used...got it at Xmas. I called and the value is still $250 but it's only been going on 5 months.

One reason I haven't used it is that for one...you can't get much in this store for $250...kind of expensive imho. It's still free $$ for me though so I'd better give them a visit. Cool stuff though...

www.orvis.com
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Humm just checked www.plasticjungle.com and it says that they will send me a check for $175.00 for my $250.00 card. Sounds like a bad deal on the surface but hey...it was a gift from a boss that is no longer here...

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #28
Homeslice
Elitist

That is why he should have picked a company everyone uses, like Shell or Target, or even Starbucks. Even if you don't drink coffee, you can buy a sandwich there.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #29
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
That is why when you give gift cards to someone, you pick a company everyone uses, like Shell or Target, or even Starbucks. Even if you don't drink coffee, you can buy a sandwich there.
What is your obsession with Shell, Target, and Starbucks???

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
What is your obsession with Shell, Target, and Starbucks???
Just taking names off the top of my head from whenever I see those cards in the grocery store

I have also given iTunes cards to someone before. Of course this was someone who I knew was already using iTunes a lot.

Point is, why pay a bunch of fees to Visa/MC, when you could give some other type of card that doesn't have any fees?

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-19-2010 at 12:29 PM..