Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
When a plane blows because of a defective part or design, you ground the whole fleet so you can inspect them.
You don't keep em flying because grounding will hurt the industries stock price.
This....

And when you conduct the inspections...and find out that it's not a defective part, it's deliberate corner cutting causing the problem...you bust the ever loving shit out of the people responsible.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
In the aviation industry they will ground an entire fleet precisely to determine IF a common fault exists.
True, but they don't do it based on an unidentified fault on a single aircraft. Look at the rudder issues that caused multiple 737 crashes resulting in hundreds of fatalities. It took years to identify what the problem was, and even more years before the fix was required. I don't believe the 737 fleet was ever grounded.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
This....

And when you conduct the inspections...and find out that it's not a defective part, it's deliberate corner cutting causing the problem...you bust the ever loving shit out of the people responsible.
Also true, but they don't "bust the ever loving shit out of" the entire airline industry, which would be the comparison to this complete deepwater drilling ban.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

But, in this case it was't JUST the BOP.

If the cement job would have held....
If the riser wasn't displaced with seawater....
If the....

And, the government was notified and approved the capping of this well. The disaster plan of an estimated FIVE MONTHS from TransOcean and BP was approved on the permit. And, now everyone is upset with BP over the fact that it will take five months?

Hell, let's fuck over the entire industry. That's cool....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
But, in this case it was't JUST the BOP.

If the cement job would have held....
If the....

And, the government was notified and approved the capping of this well. The disaster plan of an estimated FIVE MONTHS from TransOcean and BP was approved on the permit. And, now everyone is upset with BP over the fact that it will take five months?

Hell, let's fuck over the entire industry. That's cool....

The government is playing it safe.
It would rather risk fucking over the "industry" then fuck over "people".
Once they get the information they need and put together the fancy reports saying "Iz okay" the ban will be lifted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
The government is playing it safe.
It would rather risk fucking over the "industry" then fuck over "people".
Once they get the information they need and put together the fancy reports saying "Iz okay" the ban will be lifted.
Errrrr, ok.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #27
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
If the cement job would have held........
Who approved that type of placement for the cement? From what I read, it was not to industry standards?

Quote:
Who approved this decision? And more importantly...WHY? From what I read, the decision was made in order to save a little time...and a lot of money...against the judgement of the drilling crew.

Quote:
And, now everyone is upset with BP over the fact that it will take five months?
Fucking off the recovery is only PART of the reason people are upset....the true anger derives from the fact that these people (Transocean and BP and Halliburton and the Federal Regulators charged with over seeing the activities of all of the above....CAUSED this issue....through negligence...corner cutting...attempting to save money rather than be conservative...and safe. Now, 11 people are dead....the Gulf of Mexico (and anywhere else the oil/sludge/tar/gas winds up going) is fucked for YEARS...likely DECADES.

So, um, yeah....people are pissed...and they SHOULD be.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #28
azoomm
moderator chick

I know nothing about what type of process Haliburton used, all I know is it didn't hold. Filling the riser with saltwater is part of the normal process, they have to displace it with something to recover the mud. This well was "done" which is why they were doing it. I'm not criticizing what they did, only that it was the timing of things happening. Any one isolated thing happening in the process wouldn't have caused a catastrophe. But, six things together.... and boom.

People are just mad. I'm ok with that. I'm not arguing whether they should be. Just being knee jerk and bitching for the sake of it all should be something I'm used to, huh?

After all, I should be "glad" this is going down. Or so I was told by someone that it will make my husband's job safer. I would be, except I was told that by several people who have no idea what he does, what happened here, what goes on, where he is, blah blah blah.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
I know nothing about what type of process Haliburton used, all I know is it didn't hold. Filling the riser with saltwater is part of the normal process, they have to displace it with something to recover the mud. This well was "done" which is why they were doing it. I'm not criticizing what they did, only that it was the timing of things happening. Any one isolated thing happening in the process wouldn't have caused a catastrophe. But, six things together.... and boom.

People are just mad. I'm ok with that. I'm not arguing whether they should be. Just being knee jerk and bitching for the sake of it all should be something I'm used to, huh?

After all, I should be "glad" this is going down. Or so I was told by someone that it will make my husband's job safer. I would be, except I was told that by several people who have no idea what he does, what happened here, what goes on, where he is, blah blah blah.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...417936798.html

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And?