Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Nothing you just said even comes close to help justifying locking a man in a cage for 7 years. You might as well have said something as worthless as, (heavy redneck accent) "If'n you don't like America maybe you should get out."
Whatever dude.

You get so wound up over your pet issues that you can't see straight.

The facts: Homeboy broke the rules, homeboy got convicted of breaking the rules, homeboy got punished according to the guidelines set forth.

If you don't like the rules or the punishment for breaking the rules, work to get them changed. Running around screaming that the sky is falling makes you look like a Republican.

P.S. I'm not saying the guy didn't get railroaded.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

My pet issues? Why is it that everytime you and I disagree on a subject your reference something you think you know about me personally? Why don't we stick to the actual subject, instead of ourselves.

Man buys firearms legally, is later put in prison for simple possession of those firearms for a period of 7 years. All of this takes place within the borders of the United States, where much, much worse crimes will get you less time. That's fucked up. How can anyone argue that 7 years in prison for this series of events is fucked up?

I'm not screaming anything. My post has proper punctuation, is not written in caps lock, and appears to be plenty legible. I used the term "police state" referencing a story where a man who hurt or stole from no one is serving a 7 year prison term. That is not an absurdly radical view point and does not equate with screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #23
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
My pet issues? Why is it that everytime you and I disagree on a subject your reference something you think you know about me personally? Why don't we stick to the actual subject, instead of ourselves.

Man buys firearms legally, is later put in prison for simple possession of those firearms for a period of 7 years. All of this takes place within the borders of the United States, where much, much worse crimes will get you less time. That's fucked up. How can anyone argue that 7 years in prison for this series of events is fucked up?

I'm not screaming anything. My post has proper punctuation, is not written in caps lock, and appears to be plenty legible. I used the term "police state" referencing a story where a man who hurt or stole from no one is serving a 7 year prison term. That is not an absurdly radical view point and does not equate with screaming "the sky is falling, the sky is falling."
The ironic part is that you and I agree far more than we disagree (even on this case).

Guns and the control of is not an issue you concern yourself with? How about criminal sentencing guidelines? Marijuana legalization? These are topics you post about often, if my calling them your pet issues is insulting to you, I apologize.

I do not recall a single person in this thread saying that the 7 year term was fair. What I do recall is derf saying there may be more to the story (there is BTW, multiple convictions for one).

You are arguing this from an emotional point of view, I just gave the legal reasoning for what took place.

Yes, people commit worse crimes and suffer lesser consequences. That sucks.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #24
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
The ironic part is that you and I agree far more than we disagree (even on this case).

Guns and the control of is not an issue you concern yourself with? How about criminal sentencing guidelines? Marijuana legalization? These are topics you post about often, if my calling them your pet issues is insulting to you, I apologize.

I do not recall a single person in this thread saying that the 7 year term was fair. What I do recall is derf saying there may be more to the story (there is BTW, multiple convictions for one).

You are arguing this from an emotional point of view, I just gave the legal reasoning for what took place.

Oh, no, not insulting at all, I just didn't get what you were referencing. Certainly absurd prison sentences are an issue to me, obviously. As they should be for anyone who desires to live in a "free" nation or society.

I read all the legal reasoning already. The legal reasoning doesn't make it any more right to put the man in a cage. I'm thinking instead of going, "there might be more to the story" we should be pissed off, write a letter to someone and wait for the authorities in this case to either beg our forgiveness or justify their actions.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #25
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

/from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Um, ok. I am so ever curious over the things that have happened in your life to have the extreme distrust of law enforcement.
This....

But not just law enforcement...authority of any sort...the boss at work...the law.

You seem like a reasonable guy, Josh...but seriously....what drives you to such extreme over reactions to authority of any sort?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #26
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
/from another thread

This....

But not just law enforcement...authority of any sort...the boss at work...the law.

You seem like a reasonable guy, Josh...but seriously....what drives you to such extreme over reactions to authority of any sort?
What extreme reaction are you referring to? Is not wanting to deal with LEO unless necessary extreme?

Not sure what else you're referencing unless its that I had a job I didn't like before....? I don't know anyone who hasn't hated a boss...
Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post

This.

All of this.

It's unfair. And, you can stand there and call the judge a poopy-doo-doo-head all you want. He broke the law, and was held to that law.

He wasn't required to allow them to search the car. Why did he?

This is more about "ignorance of the law does not make you innocent of breaking the law" than it is anything else. They KNEW it was illegal enough to disassemble the weapons, perhaps a bit more reading would have saved a world of hurt.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Very interesting thread indeed. Funny how people feel so differently about certain things.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #29
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

have to agree with derf. they made it abundantly clear in the article he passed FBI check back then when he purchsed guns. he's getting his life turned back around. he checked ahead about having guns in NJ. said he was still moving when caught even though he wasn't. his mood darkened when his visit wasn't allowed. lots of little things there that seem to point to him maybe not being able to have guns now days.
why didn't she let him have the visit? was there a history there? why were the guns in the car after his "mood darkened"?
nah way too many "strange" things there for us to say he is unfairly handled. we don't know why he was charged or with what exactly.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #30
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

7 years is a long time to give up for having a "darkened mood"

No, I get what you guys are saying. My point is that serious prison time should always be reserved for serious offenses. Did he point the gun at someone? Ok, now we have a different situaiton. Did he take them onto a plane in his waistband? Again, that's something different.

7 years in prison for a man who is not a convicted felon is absurd. Maybe the article doesn't mention that he's a convicted felon, or maybe I missed it? I've never known the media to be pro-gun bias...