Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Her tastes? I don't recall reading that she painted it...

Try to think a little harder, and I think you'll realize it's just a woman's attempt at making things look a bit better. Do you REALLY think that the blank painted-over fence is gonna stay that way...in an alley in LA?

You're funny!
Stereotype much? I don't believe the article said anything about graffiti being a problem on that wall. All they say about it is in the sub-headline. The relevant part reads "A woman who commissioned young artists to create the mural on a bare wall beside her house".

As for whose property it was the article isn't clear at all. The part where it says " to Black's wooden alley fence" has already been mentioned but that is the only place where the article mentions a fence. The rest of the article is about a wall with no ownership mentioned. From the picture it looks like a short wall and then a taller fence on top, but without more information it is just guessing. With the poor state of reporting now it may not be her fence either.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #22
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
She should paint her wall a fucking hideous plaid. It's not a mural or painting.
Houndstooth. Even uglier.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Your ride, sir:

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Default Right?

Someone needs to do a houndstooth print with those. I'd rock that.

I think I might be warming up to that whole houndstooth thing after all...

Old 04-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Stereotype much? I don't believe the article said anything about graffiti being a problem on that wall. All they say about it is in the sub-headline. The relevant part reads "A woman who commissioned young artists to create the mural on a bare wall beside her house".
Stereotyping?

Saying that LA has a graffiti problem, is tantamount to saying NYC has too many fucking people. It's not stereotyping, it's common knowledge.

I lived in LA for a long time, and I can assure you that you'd be hard pressed to find any untagged alleys in the poorer neighborhoods.

Oddly enough, aside from being repugnant bags of shit, gangbangers tend to not tag walls with murals on them. Apparently, even the lowest forms of life can develop a sense of communal pride.

JC
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Stereotyping?

Saying that LA has a graffiti problem, is tantamount to saying NYC has too many fucking people. It's not stereotyping, it's common knowledge.

I lived in LA for a long time, and I can assure you that you'd be hard pressed to find any untagged alleys in the poorer neighborhoods.

Oddly enough, aside from being repugnant bags of shit, gangbangers tend to not tag walls with murals on them. Apparently, even the lowest forms of life can develop a sense of communal pride.

JC
Must only be LA gang bangers then. They tag everything in their "territory" where I've been. Even a mural of MLK that was on my HS gym. If it isn't moving, it gets tagged.
defector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #27
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Stereotyping?

JC
Yes, stereotyping. Not only does the article not say the mural was done because of graffiti it seems to indicate it had nothing to do with graffiti. Assuming, despite a complete lack of facts, that because it is somewhere in Los Angeles there must be roving gangs of hood rats (of any color) who can't help but give every visible surface the Krylon touch is stereotyping.

Anyway, you seem to have disappeared for a while. Good to see you back.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #28
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Am I the only one that thinks that when a complaint is filed it should be public WITH the persons name?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #29
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Nope. That's EXACTLY how it should be.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #30
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Yes, stereotyping. Not only does the article not say the mural was done because of graffiti it seems to indicate it had nothing to do with graffiti. Assuming, despite a complete lack of facts, that because it is somewhere in Los Angeles there must be roving gangs of hood rats (of any color) who can't help but give every visible surface the Krylon touch is stereotyping.
You're right. That article says nothing about graffiti. However, the many years I spent in that city, (and a quick Google search) tells me otherwise.

"Barbara Black also commissioned the mural to defeat the constant tagging of this North Hollywood alley fence. In recent news articles, the City of Los Angeles complained about the millions the City spends in graffiti abatement. But they will fine a local woman who puts a mural on the fence to stop the constant tagging of her fence, to help save the City some money. The fence will be tagged continuously, calls will be made constantly to remove the tagging, and the City will spend much more money than it received in the fine it gave Barbara Black. This makes no common or financial sense. Will you be happy to have your tax dollars go to remove tagging when a commissioned piece of youth art could have stayed up on the fence, stopping potential tagging?"

LINKY: http://nohoartsdistrict.com/joomla/i...ort&Itemid=221

LA proper is 468 square miles, and home to an estimated 41,000 gang members. That's 87.6 gang members per square mile. That's not stereotyping, it's just basic math.

Quote:
Anyway, you seem to have disappeared for a while. Good to see you back.
Thanks, I've been busy...

JC